• 10 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 3 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 1.4k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• https://www.mariettatimes.com/news/local-news/2024/03/smith-scouts-become-leaders/ Finding ways to incorporate the community locally might be the best way to redeem the program.  My experience with the general public when we do flag and patriotic stuff at the local government center, or on some occasion in the past when hiking, has almost always been supportive.  Many have gushed and said they had thought BSA was gone and were really happy for our work and efforts.  I suspect this may be far more prominent than the nay sayers will admit.  Just my view.    
    • Are you sincere? I do not read you to be. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's quite possible that I am. 
    • I don't have much to say on the Eagle project topic since we don't have that in Sweden and haven't read up on the instructions, but reading this sparked a potential initial general view of the line between civic and political: civic is supporting building community in a liberal democracy. To the extent that parties promote policies (often implicitly because everyone in mainstream society agrees) that are consistent with liberal democracy, we count those as civic even though one could argue that technically they are political because a political party advocates for it. That remains true even when, like in this example, mainstream citizens in a liberal democracy actually start taking actions inconsistent with liberal democracy. (The non-mainstream I'm specifically thinking of here is the neonazis in the town I grew up in. They explicitly want to crush liberal democracy, but they are also persona non grata outside their own group and nobody in scouting in Sweden loses any sleep about not listening to them or taking action to prevent them from succeeding.) Uniformed scouts marching in an anti-Nazi march is not like uniformed scouts staffing an "election cabin" to campaign for a particular political party, even though technically being anti-Nazi is a political stand that is also proposed policy for multiple political parties. Being anti-Nazi is being pro-liberal democracy, and thus the scouting backing of what is technically also a policy stand of political parties counts as civic. Does that make sense? Anybody see any holes?
    • I actually thought that was very clear. That section of the book stuck with me immediately upon reading and I was literally thinking of it when I wrote the general reflection above. I knew right where to find it to expand on both the actual meaning but also to (hopefully) gently and skillfully deflect the attack on my character. Perhaps it isn't so immediately relatable to everyone, then. My apologies if that wasn't clear. My point is, I do not appreciate being called duplicitous, and I do not appreciate teachings that are very precious to me and considered a religion by the BSA being called duplicitous. You don't have to agree with the view, but attacking me for holding it is not cool.
  • Who's Online (See full list)