Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

2946 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Boys Scouts + Comedy

• 0 replies
  2. Save Camp Gustin

• 0 replies
    • 1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Food for thought...

• 0 replies
  4. Heritage Girls

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• This may be more difficult now.  You're looking for amendment of a statute in a divided congress where this change could well be a campaign speech item for those on the right.  The corporate name and charter for the BSA are found at Title 36, US Code, Section 30901(a)  "Boy Scouts of America (in this chapter, the "corporation") is a body corporate and politic of the District of Columbia."  
    • Sure. Seems likely. But that'll take more effort than registering a DBA and filing a federal trademark application (I've done both before, it's easier than people think) and isn't even required to put the name change into effect.    
    • Co-ed Dens was a pilot too- about three years after folks were already doing it. Anything that the E board does that adds even a rationalization that they increased membership by 1 youth, they are not going to undo that. This will impact units like mine, that as of today would be in a struggle for the third year in a row to hit 5 youth to recharter. Now, being a co-ed unit, we could recharter with 1, 2, 3, 4, or even none. 
    • Also, I do expect BSA may look to update their charter. The boy club officially updated their charter to the boys and girls club when they added girls.
    • That legalese is  called a DBA ("Doing Business As"). Seeing as you aren't aware of that, you'd probably be surprised how often the public name of a business is not actually the same as the official registered name of the business entity.
  • Who's Online (See full list)