Jump to content

Going to the next Jamboree?

Sign in to follow this  

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

262 topics in this forum

    • 2 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 21 replies
    • 2 replies
  1. Merit Badge

    • 9 replies
    • 6 replies
  2. Streaming Video??

    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
  3. Jamboree Stuff 1 2

    • 20 replies
  4. Jambo IDs

    • 9 replies
  5. June Newsletter

    • 2 replies
  6. tradeing post?

    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4 replies
Sign in to follow this  

    • Good suggestions, but inconsistent with the primary BSA objective.   A uniform - the same except for details - would be nice to replace the current brand approach, and would far more closely match the stated reasons for a "uniform."  Again, that approach is inconsistent with the primary BSA objective.
    • So for Sea Scouts we already have this handled. Our uniforms are either Dickie or 5.11 brand navy blue shirts Patches are added for the names and Sea Scouts, BSA Our manuals are PDF's so people print them on demand Neckerchief is optional Pants are navy blue pants, Dickies or 5.11 or similar And, I might say, our uniforms look the sharpest of them all 🙂
    • To cut way back on the number and styles of uniform parts and insignia that BSA has to produce, distribute, and maintain in inventory, I'd suggest: The same color and style of shirt for all programs. No epaulets, no shoulder loops, only cloth badges/patches with no backing so they are easy to sew on The only insignia allowed are the BSA and Council name strips (lettering only), World Scout badge (without Messenger of Peace ring or other embellishment), unit numeral, den/patrol patch, rank badge, position patch, OA arrow strip All insignia are at least one-third smaller than current badges/patches No official pants / shorts / skirts / skorts; no official belts, socks, or hats No sashes; merit badges one-third smaller than current size, may be sewn on neckerchiefs One Cub Scout neckerchief color for all grade levels Cub Scout adventure pins and belt loops become cloth badges sewn on neckerchiefs Other awards currently worn on uniform may be sewn on neckerchiefs To cut way back on the number of publications that BSA develops, produces, distributes, and maintains, I'd suggest: All publications are electronic, printable on demand The contents of all existing publications are broken down into these collections:  Youth member "how to" information for each program; youth leader "how to" information (Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouting only); adult leader "how to" information for each program Eliminate all duplication and as much inconsistency as possible from each collection Convert what is left so that at least 90 percent of each collection is in the form of (a) checklists, (b) step-by-step instructions, and (c) diagrams or illustrations; with the remaining 10 percent or less limited to text, but with no single block of text containing more than seventy-five words
    • Heritage up in PA has a Scouter Service Patch earned by helping in a Scout activity among other things.  One of our neighboring Districts asked me to do WoodTools at their IOLS, which I did to good effect. The IOLS leadership said, "and of course, everyone will earn the Totin' Chip" and were surprised when I reminded them that Totin' Chip is a Scout award, not an adult award.  I said folks would know how it is done, and have a chance to "practice" but there would be no TC patch awarded....  I have not been asked to help again.....
    • During the lockdown and dreaming about hitting the trail, I've had a few conversations with Scouting folks about backpacking towels.  I tend to keep two of the shamwow type towels in my pack.  They do the job, dry quickly, and soak up quite a bit.  I've used traditional cotton towels, but recommend these type of towels for backpacking.  Having been to Philmont a few times with a different towel each time, I'm interested in what  you use or tell your scouts are best.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Create New...