Best Compliment you ever got as a Scouter.

As I've been active at just the district level for the past decade, the most common one I hear is:

"When can we do another camporee just like this one?"

Then there was the Canadian scout with a lot of personal issues who turned his life around after a regional jamboree back in '99. He credited the two "Web Dudes" with making him realize his troubles were nothing compared to what he'll be facing in life as he grows up. Said "web dudes" are my brother and me. We learned this second hand from a Canadian leader a few months after jambo.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... last night, at the Court of Honor, a packed gym, the parents and the boys gave me a standing ovation that lasted about 5 minutes after the CC called me up for my retirement recognition from scoutmastership. It brought me to tears when they played the slideshow tribute for me. Afterward the boys and parents lined up to hug me and shake my hands. Nothing more special than a 12 years old saying, "Thanks, Mr. [OneHour], for everything!" Now, I can head off to the scoutmaster pasture and graze peacefully. :)

"That was the best thing I've ever done in my life." A scout after a high adventure trip.

"I love my dad dearly, but he's done nothing compared to the adults in this troop." An Eagle scout.

"You're going to stay on as Scoutmaster until my son gets Eagle, won't you?" From a mom, at her husband's memorial service.

"Thank you." From a scout, when it comes from his heart.

Other night first adult at Troop meeting. About 12 (of 60) boys already there. Without me saying anything they start pulling out the Patrol tables, setting up chairs, getting the flags, etc. New SM (not really into bot-led) wanders in, looks at me, sees it getting done and says "OK, maybe there is something to boy-led".

I moved out of state about 2 weeks ago. My final meeting with the troop just happened to be a COH. They made a special presentation to me. A day later I recieved a hand written note by an 11 yr old who said I was the best and he was going to miss me.

One of the fonder memories was an indirect compliment: Church ladies group have cookies set up for a social cookies are missing Scouts are suspected!

One day Im walking by and see two Scouts standing by the cookie table and overhear something to the effect: Were Scouts and shouldnt take/eat the cookies.

They dont see me and I keep walking feeling pretty good. Dont know for a fact if they ate cookies that day, but I dont recall any more complaints from the Church.

• 2 weeks later...

Selling popcorn at a store front today and This older fellow come up to me today and asked if I am the SM for the boys....I said yes sir and may I help you....a long moment of silence.....he reaches up and puts something in my shirt pocket and offered me his hand And says A fine group of men you got there..... he walks off...he put $10 in my pocket....

It wasnt the amount but The sincerity in the gesture.

I get the sense that folks are begining to worry that our society is in deep trouble and the values no longer in line with theirs.

I was moved by how the public reacted to my boys today.....

Selling popcorn at a store front today and This older fellow come up to me today and asked if I am the SM for the boys....I said yes sir and may I help you....a long moment of silence.....he reaches up and puts something in my shirt pocket and offered me his hand And says A fine group of men you got there..... he walks off...he put $10 in my pocket....

I get the sense that folks are begining to worry that our society is in deep trouble and the values no longer in line with theirs.

I had a new dad tell me, in a quiet moment in camp, "I don't know what you got, but you've got something".

He went on to say "everybody in the camp acts different when you are in camp-even the adults".

I asked him if they were acting up, etc. he said "no, just different, and that's good."

Don't know if this is the "best", but it's one I like. We had one Scout join our troop when he was 15. He was the typical 15-year old, nice kid, good in school, likes to hang out with the older kids and not the younger ones. We don't get many his age who join up. I was doing his Scoutmaster conference for Scout - it had taken his mom awhile to get around to doing the child protection exercises, so he'd been in the troop for a few months.

I asked him how he was liking the troop, and he said he was having a good time. I asked him what he liked about it, and he said the activities were a lot of fun, and he added, glancing down almost a little sheepishly, "the adults here are pretty cool."