HAH! You just addressed how a Cub Scout earns the "lead a Flag ceremony" Requirement if he's not a citizen, or for whatever reason doesn't wish to make the pledge.

He can SAY, "Ready begin," and then stop speaking. He can then resume with, "Two," (or however the day's ceremony proceeds from there).

Hah. Excellent! :0)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ SP -- There's the concept of agreeing on "the essentials". For most Christiandom, that basically means the tenants of the Apostles' Creed.

Beyond the "essentials" (infallibility of Scripture, Triune Godhead, etc, etc...), after that, you get down to the "non-essentials", which I don't think God is all that concerned with. Some folks will live and die based one whether they use the intinction method or the itty bitty cups, but that's not doctrine, that's spin.

I think of it this way: God likes ice cream, but there are different flavors available. ~As long as you're using REAL ingredients and not artificial ones~ (see that Creed), then it doesn't make much difference to God whether you like butter brickle or mint chip.

(*passes around the saltshaker*)

What? JoeBob? Don't you guys get cable? Have you never seen "cupcake wars"?

No milk, no eggs, no butter, no lard that kind of stuff

Vegan cooking can be done and can be quite tasty...

or so I'm told, I classify myself as an Omnivore (after all, I am a Bear, and a good ol' Bear at that)(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

eisely says:

I went to a Jewish wedding a few years ago. Both bride and groom were Jewish. Lobster was served at the rehearsal dinner. Hmmmm.

That's not unusual. Your hosts were most likely followers of Reform Judaism. Generally Reform Jews do not "keep Kosher" though some will follow parts of the Kosher laws. I have read that a majority of American Jews do not follow the Kosher laws at all. When I was growing up (in a Reform Jewish family) we would at times have bacon, or shrimp, or cheeseburgers (not Kosher because of the mixing of meat and dairy) but we never had lobster, ham or pork chops. I suspect we did not have lobster because my parents were trying to save money, and having not grown up with it themselves, maybe they never developed a taste for it. I once asked my father why we never had pork chops, and found out there was really no religious or traditional reason for it; when he was in the Army, he had been fed so many pork chops that he never wanted to see one again in his life. So my mother never made pork chops for dinner; there was no more spiritual reason for it than that. The first pork chop I ever had was at the home of a non-Jewish girlfriend who I later married. (That was also where I had venison for the first time, but that's a different story.)

Similarly, my brother's household is all-Jewish but they don't keep Kosher at all. Maybe they even have pork chops, I don't know. At their wedding there was no concern for keeping Kosher. And yet at the wedding of one of my cousins, who married a Conservative rabbinical student, there would not have been a lobster or a shrimp or a piece of bacon or anything else non-Kosher anywhere in the vicinity. Orthodox and Conservative Jews believe God has commanded us not to eat these foods and to keep certain foods away from each other. The rest of us do not. (The one or two other active Jewish posters here can correct me if I am not quite right on the differences between the different movements.)

I guess I always saw it in simple terms: I respect your views and I respect your right to have them. I also expect you to respect my right to have my own views wether you agree to them or not.

Majority rules is the case when dealing with a majority, but not everything is ruled by anybody but the individual.

As you posted about birthday..then yes, majority rules. The individual can opt out ofd participating . But if teh majority decides on a rule that all individuals MUST participate....then it is way wrong as it is trying to rule on an individual freedom.

And as mentioned before - if I do not like beer or alcohol, I do not need to go to bars. But if I am at a restaurant that also serves beers, I should not be offended by my beer drinking friends making their own choices when I drink tea.

And that's the thing about tose who get offended: People do all kinds of stuff. And 99.99.99.99 % of the time, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with me. If I become offended when they do that...It is because I choose to be offended or let it offend me.

And that means the issue is me, not them!

My pack is chartered by the Catholic parish and meets in the church parish hall. Mostl families are not member sof the church, which probably results in some questions, usually unasked, about how non church members will be treated.

When I explain what the "Duty to God" means for the pack, I give two explanations:

1) a duty to respect the religious traditions of your family

2) a duty to respect the religious beliefs of other families.

So a family that wished to not say the Pledge or participate in birthdays would be free to do so, no explanations needed.

And similarly, families that didn't say the Pledge or do birthdays would not be able to impose those beliefs on others.

Even steven, I think.

Never had a problem with that. Not so far, anyway.