You know you"re getting old when . . .

"Young George Bailey" passes away:

Robert J. Anderson, 75; child actor was young George Bailey in 'It's a Wonderful Life'

http://tinyurl.com/5mr88e

June 8, 2008

By Claire Noland, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Robert J. Anderson, a former child actor best known for playing the young George Bailey in the 1946 Christmas film classic "It's a Wonderful Life," has died. He was 75.

Anderson was 12 when director Frank Capra cast him as Jimmy Stewart's youthful counterpart in the heartwarming tale set in Bedford Falls. As the adult George Bailey contemplates suicide, his life is told in flashback so his guardian angel Clarence can get to know him. Young George rescues his brother from drowning, dreams about being an explorer and saves the town pharmacist, Mr. Gower, from accidentally poisoning a customer.

The film, which initially flopped, became a holiday favorite in recent decades after it started airing repeatedly on TV when the copyright lapsed in the 1970s.

Services are pending. Instead of flowers, donations in Anderson's memory may be made to the American Cancer Society.

[excerpted]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a concert this weekend (Black Lips & Raconteurs) and the only song I really knew from the Black Lips was the Bo Diddley classic - Mona. It was also about the only song my 17 year old Eagle scout son didn't know.

God did I feel old. :)(This message has been edited by acco40)

When, while reviewing adult med forms for camp check in, you notice that the parents along to help were not yet born when you graduated high school. Or, when a student in a class in which you are subbing says you are older than his "grandparents".