Museums Close Native American Exhibits

Perhaps authorized practicioners of similar traditions, or tribe members with the proper authorization, can offer ceremony/sadhana from the old ways, the nameless religion, the Way, Shinto, Bön, Siberian shamanism, Samí old ways, etc at Scouts' Own if those ways are of more general interest.

On 1/27/2024 at 6:15 PM, yknot said:

This has been long overdue and likely will have spillover impact on the BSA's continued inappropriate appropriation of aspects of Native American culture. 

Our local school district has been told by the NY state board of education that we can no longer use the name 'Warrior' for our mascot. The mascot (a roman or spartan warrior) is fine, just can't use the term as ir might reflect upon native American 'warriors. I expect the Order of the Arrow will have to change along with our council's name (Longhouse). I have a long history of service with the through the Order of the Arrow including many hours of 'cheerful service' at camps, serving on ceremonial teams and as a lodge advisor. I attended the 50th anniversary NOAC as a youth and years later as lodge advisor. I gained a strong interest and respect for native nations as a result of my participation in the OA. Sadly, I think this 'woke' environment will result in the baby being tossed out with the bathwater. One more nail in the BSA coffin. 

• Sad 1
50 minutes ago, Ojoman said:

Our local school district has been told by the NY state board of education that we can no longer use the name 'Warrior' for our mascot. The mascot (a roman or spartan warrior) is fine, just can't use the term as ir might reflect upon native American 'warriors. I expect the Order of the Arrow will have to change along with our council's name (Longhouse). I have a long history of service with the through the Order of the Arrow including many hours of 'cheerful service' at camps, serving on ceremonial teams and as a lodge advisor. I attended the 50th anniversary NOAC as a youth and years later as lodge advisor. I gained a strong interest and respect for native nations as a result of my participation in the OA. Sadly, I think this 'woke' environment will result in the baby being tossed out with the bathwater. One more nail in the BSA coffin. 

Good grief. The museums are closing the displays to retool. The issue originally stems from displays containing funerary items and human remains, that should be repatriated to the tribes. All else, the tribes just want input to approve what is being displayed is factual and historically accurate. Most of these items and remains were taken- would it suffice to you if someone dug up your grandparents graves and just stuck remains in a display case without asking how the family felt beforehand? 

As for the OA, the rule put in place was to get local tribal approval on regalia. Some Lodges have, but many have just avoided the issue and kept doing what they were doing. I file that under "obedient", and if a Lodge can't be obedient, they have no business of continuing to represent the OA.  

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, HashTagScouts said:

As for the OA, the rule put in place was to get local tribal approval on regalia.

Our school district asked the Onondagas for permission to continue to use the word Warrior  which is not a native American word but were refused. We could have kept it with their blessing. The district changed their mascot 2 decades ago to a spartan/roman type warrior as a show of respect. Concerns me on any use of or reference to their culture, especially words. Time will tell if Lowanne Nimat Lodge or Longhouse words are allowed. 

1 hour ago, Ojoman said:

Our school district asked the Onondagas for permission to continue to use the word Warrior  which is not a native American word but were refused. We could have kept it with their blessing. The district changed their mascot 2 decades ago to a spartan/roman type warrior as a show of respect. Concerns me on any use of or reference to their culture, especially words. Time will tell if Lowanne Nimat Lodge or Longhouse words are allowed. 

It's policy in your state as of last year and the policy was enacted with the broad support of tribal associations in your state. Several schools have given up Warrior appelation. 

I do support returning funerary items and remains, if the tribal representatives request, as these were most likely removed from burial sites.  I also support museums and educational organizations (universities, etc.) asking a particular tribe for permission to keep and display those items and remains in a respectful way, so that everyone could learn about the culture and customs of their people.

17 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I wonder how you repatriate artifacts to extinct tribes. 

@Armymutt, you don't...

image.thumb.png.9631b9814fe4406e254c520a9be4178e.png

19 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I wonder how you repatriate artifacts to extinct tribes. 

I don't know how the new law affects this but in the past, affiliated or even unaffiliated tribes had a pathway to request them for funerary ceremonies if remains or if objects for their own musuems.   

2 hours ago, yknot said:

I don't know how the new law affects this but in the past, affiliated or even unaffiliated tribes had a pathway to request them for funerary ceremonies if remains or if objects for their own musuems.   

I'm not sure how this is a good idea, especially if that tribe engaged in actions that made another tribe go extinct.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I'm not sure how this is a good idea, especially if that tribe engaged in actions that made another tribe go extinct.  

No one alive today would have been involved in those actions/events. I'm sure that representatives from any tribe, or even a collective with representatives from multiple tribes, would be willing to give a proper reverence.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Indigenous groups are no different than any of the immigrant groups that have arrived here. These are communities like any other that are capable of working out ways to deal with contentious issues in their past -- there's no difference with anyone else. That's what these laws are meant to do. 

28 minutes ago, yknot said:

I've read about the Beaver Wars and native nations fighting each other... quite a different view then is projected today... 400 years doesn't change history... anyway, when you consider how many bodies, bones and mummy's are on display I suppose that can be quite disturbing. I wouldn't want my parents or grandparents dug up and stuck in a display case. 

1 hour ago, Ojoman said:

I've read about the Beaver Wars and native nations fighting each other... quite a different view then is projected today... 400 years doesn't change history... anyway, when you consider how many bodies, bones and mummy's are on display I suppose that can be quite disturbing. I wouldn't want my parents or grandparents dug up and stuck in a display case. 

Hi. I didn't say that. You are actually quoting Armymutt.