Summer Camp observations - New Scouts and Troop sizes

31 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I would love for the troop to do this again, but they want MBs.

I hope you can find an opening to help them notice that adventure is more fun than a hamster wheel.

Sure, there's satisfaction in finishing things. But you can learn skills in many ways. You can only bring a whole group of your friends on some epic outdoor adventure in scouts ⚜️🏕️

I don't recall having earned a thing at any summer camp. Merit badges and advancement was what we did during meetings, and camp was where you showed whether you were worthy. Then again, we have (or had, at least, I see things have changed since I was a scout) far, far fewer merit badges to earn and no "capstone" like Eagle. The reason to stay in scouts wasn't to impress anyone, it was because you liked it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have forgotten that Eagle is an AWARD, not a goal.  SCOUTING  is the goal. The Scout Law and Scout Promise is the goal.   Scout camp misses the point when it becomes an extension of the school

We have 18 new Scouts (12 going to summer camp this Sunday - been good knowing all of you) and I'm not sure we're done. That's double what we usually had in a good year pre-COVID. I know we're an outl

My thoughts: Summer camp needs to focus on fun and hard to do MBs: shooting sports, climbing, aquatics, etc. I always recommend Scouts taking needed MBs, do some fun MBs, and having a free period

3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Sadly the BSA has pushed and pushed Eagle.

It is so sad. They renamed the big zip to something like “<someone’s name> Eagle Taking Flight” or something like that. Ugh. 

Scouts notice the over focus too. 

My thoughts:

Summer camp needs to focus on fun and hard to do MBs: shooting sports, climbing, aquatics, etc. I always recommend Scouts taking needed MBs, do some fun MBs, and having a free period. I did summer camp for 3 years as a Scout, ages 12-14. 3rd year was a HA program at the camp and it was  blast. 

I am glad that my sons decided to do the Frontier Action Shooting at the camp they are going to this.  Middle son goes to college in August, and I doubt he will be active until December. And this is more than likely the Youngest's last summer camp, despite his age, because he is burnt out. He got fixated on Eagle, earned it, and said he is done. :(

Focusing on Eagle is slowly killing the program.

• Upvote 3

We have 18 new Scouts (12 going to summer camp this Sunday - been good knowing all of you) and I'm not sure we're done. That's double what we usually had in a good year pre-COVID. I know we're an outlier, but I hope we're also a bellwether. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, KublaiKen said:

We have 18 new Scouts (12 going to summer camp this Sunday - been good knowing all of you) and I'm not sure we're done. That's double what we usually had in a good year pre-COVID. I know we're an outlier, but I hope we're also a bellwether. 

With 12 newbies, you may wind up with bats in your "bellwether-fry"

• Haha 1

Not a summer camp, but maybe relevant.  My daughter and I just got back from a short backpacking trip on the AT.  We met some scouts from Troop 3 in Easton, PA.  Four scouts, two leaders.  When we did a similar trip last year around 4th of July, we had come across a group of Jewish "scouts" (not Boy Scouts, but some similar program) - 37 of them!!  

I've noticed more people out and about in the woods ever since Covid, so I think interest in the outdoors is UP, but it's not necessarily translating over to Scouting.

On a complete side note: hiking around Crater Lake near Walpack, NJ (side trip off the AT), my daughter and I were shocked when we turned a corner and saw a naked man striding toward us.  Nothing on but some hiking boots and a bandana.  Apparently there is a "Naked Hiking Day". 😬

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Bet that guy used up a whole bottle of sunscreen. Or, had wicked sunburn on the areas that are almost always covered in sunlight 😂

We need to find effective ways to remind people that scouts is the original outdoorsy life organization. Outdoor adventure with friends is totally our wheelhouse! (And that you don't need to start your own scout-like group for people to be friendly towards you, because everyone is welcome in ours. Someone suggested Spiral Scouts to me the other day, thinking that we might be a better fit there.) 

I was at REI the other day, and they've got family camping classes. How to go camping as a family! We're that, but with a side of camping friends, too! 🏕️🤗⚜️ Wonder if they'd post a pack recruitment flier on the community events board?

Edited by AwakeEnergyScouter
Removed extra parenthesis

Summer Camp Experiences GREAT This Year

Nothing is ever perfect, but my 2 experiences at summer camps this year showed me that we are moving in the right direction. 

I dropped my beautiful daughter off at Owasippe (reservation for Chicago area located in SW Michigan) to serve as a CIT and stayed 5 days with my wife.  The spirit of the Scouts and Scouters could not have been better.  Only 4 campsites remained available for the entire summer.  Demand is through the roof.  Better yet, there was relief and optimism on the part of the Scouters I met about the departure from bankruptcy.  Confidence in the future seemed high.

I next spent a week as Skipper with my large Ship at Goshen Scout Reservation (large reservation for DC area) and came away with the same basic impression.  Attendance was up, spirits were high and program was restored to a high post-covid standard.

Admittedly, these are 2 reservations historically operated at the highest levels of quality -- but there was regardless a great improvement of quality and confidence among the scouts, unit leaders, staff and professionals.  We still have many things to achieve until we are past the troubles of recent years, but the joy of youthful participation at camp this summer is something to admire.  

My friends, all is going to be well.     

• Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, Cburkhardt said:

Summer Camp Experiences GREAT This Year

Nothing is ever perfect, but my 2 experiences at summer camps this year showed me that we are moving in the right direction. 

I dropped my beautiful daughter off at Owasippe (reservation for Chicago area located in SW Michigan) to serve as a CIT and stayed 5 days with my wife.  The spirit of the Scouts and Scouters could not have been better.  Only 4 campsites remained available for the entire summer.  Demand is through the roof.  Better yet, there was relief and optimism on the part of the Scouters I met about the departure from bankruptcy.  Confidence in the future seemed high.

I next spent a week as Skipper with my large Ship at Goshen Scout Reservation (large reservation for DC area) and came away with the same basic impression.  Attendance was up, spirits were high and program was restored to a high post-covid standard.

Admittedly, these are 2 reservations historically operated at the highest levels of quality -- but there was regardless a great improvement of quality and confidence among the scouts, unit leaders, staff and professionals.  We still have many things to achieve until we are past the troubles of recent years, but the joy of youthful participation at camp this summer is something to admire.  

My friends, all is going to be well.     

Our local camp is operating at approx 70% capacity for entire summer.  Normally 8 weeks of camp, they even cut one due to low demand.  Historically, 6 out of 8 weeks were full.  Fourth of July week and final weeks of camp consistently had some space remaining.

Most of Staff is young and inexperienced.  Enthusiasm helps, but is not a substitute. Most of our 18+ college students did not return.

I am volunteering here for the summer to help fill the void.  We would not have been able to open some program areas had I not been here.

Have seen and talked with "the usual suspects" in our council over the past 3 1/2 weeks. Generally upbeat all around, but there is a sense of decline among senior staff and unit leaders.

Council leadership reached out to me for this support.  Guess I am finally out of the doghouse 😉

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

From my vantage point, we have a way to go before we are out of the woods.

• 5 months later...

Just received email of another delay in spending out our 2024 summer camp guide.  I noted that summer 2023 seemed lighter in attendance than prior years and I think that is causing issues with plans for 2024.  Has anyone else seen 2024 summer camp plans change from prior years?  

"With declining membership in Bay-Lakes Council, as with most councils across the country, there are serious, but not insurmountable financial repercussions. These budgetary considerations need to be dealt with wholistically to ensure the viability of the Scouting program in Northeast Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Part of that wholistic approach must include a careful examination of how best to provide world-class programing while reducing costs and increasing revenues at our summer camps."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Just received email of another delay in spending out our 2024 summer camp guide.  I noted that summer 2023 seemed lighter in attendance than prior years and I think that is causing issues with plans for 2024.  Has anyone else seen 2024 summer camp plans change from prior years?  

"With declining membership in Bay-Lakes Council, as with most councils across the country, there are serious, but not insurmountable financial repercussions. These budgetary considerations need to be dealt with wholistically to ensure the viability of the Scouting program in Northeast Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. Part of that wholistic approach must include a careful examination of how best to provide world-class programing while reducing costs and increasing revenues at our summer camps."

Doesn't that area have A LOT of camps?

On 1/4/2024 at 8:53 AM, Tron said:

Doesn't that area have A LOT of camps?

HAD. Well, Bay-Lakes has 4 council camps still, but within the area, I bet if we went back about 8 years, there would be 8+ shuttered camps. One from Bay-Lakes (Twin Lakes). Without doing research, at least 2 others have been shuttered in the area - Napawon, Shin-Go-Beek and CFL are near.