Chartered Org Advertising on Uniforms

33 minutes ago, skeptic said:

How is this connected to Scouting.?  It looks like a typical sport team shirt or something.  Just asking.

It's a play on corporate sponsorship.  The Bad News Bears were a misfit baseball team that had no uniforms.  Probably like a few Troops you might know...  the coach took any sponsor he could get to pay for uniforms.

It's a joke on the thread 😜 

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Back in the day,  my troop's CO was identified on our neckers. Similar to this example below which I found on ebay. 

Maybe a historical troop necker? Draw a circle, divide into 3 wedges. One for BSA trefoil, one for CO logo, one for your old logo. Around perimeter, " Scout On, BSA Troop NNN 19xx- 202y"

image.png.8ba72420bb7fc7bca82c7bb95d7bd0c3.png

My $0.02,

• Upvote 2

Scouting is local.  The unit is local and owned or allowed space by a CO or now church agreement.  Whether or not the CO, or other connected organization is on the shirt or necker designs is up to them and is not advertiaing.  Advertising is trying to sell something at the expense of the troop logo.  Today we seldom see real advertising with BSA connections due to the laws in place.  In the early decades Scouts often were seen in actual ads, and some were well paid I think, though the really early ones probably less likely.  So, come to an agreement or move in another direction.  It is still a local issue it seems to me, specific to your situation.

• Upvote 1

I may see this from a different side.  I'm in favor of the CO having acknowledgment for anything their chartered unit does.  If the CO offers a place to meet, charter, camper-ships, equipment, fund-raising, and other support...an advertisement is a small concession and thank you.  If the CO is mentioned on activity (class B) clothing/scarves so be it.  I've had many CO symbols and wording on neckerchiefs that generated some great conversations.  

Here is my hardcore stance:  If any one person objects to the CO mentioned on clothing, that one person is never wrong to be in full BSA uniform (field uniform).  CO are not an obstacle or hindrance, but rather a full supporter that should be involved more than just an annual recharter signature.