It's finally come to this

It's  1:30am,  in 14 hours  I head out to an joint Ordeal for four local chapters.  The ceremonies will have to be done by people who have never  done them before, never practiced together,  or even alone because no one knows who has what part.  I will have at best 2-3 hours to work with them before the pre starts. I am honestly dreading this. But until December 31st I'm still the ceremonies advisor for one of the chapters and so I have a duty to do what little I can,  even if my  chapter no longer has a team. 

Prayers  would be much appreciated my brothers.

Walititin Mikemossin Wunachuk

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an opportunity to make OA relevant while bringing BSA back to the experience that most of us Scouters want for our kids.  It's not hard to imagine... The arrow flies true, just as the o

Wow, with friends like this, who needs enemies. I’ve been active in scouting one way or another for almost 60:. In all those years, I have never seen AO show disrespect to the American Indian/idigenou

I am sure that all of us could find some group of people that we have never met, that does not mean that they do not exist. I was a part of our ceremonial team for 6 years as a youth, well over h

Is it this bad everywhere? 

In my locale it is. When the 3 districts merged, only 1 chapter of the 3  was active. And by active i mean having meetings. at onetime, the chapter met where my troop meets. But when they picked up the gear to move it to the new chapter meeting place this summer, a lot of chapter stuff was left behind. Going through it, a lot of it was out of date and mildewed. But 4 sets of regalia, relatively new, intact, and historically accurate, was left behind. Supplies to make historically accurate regalia, some of which was still in boxes or bags untouched, was left behind. Other stuff, plaques, scrapbooks, etc were left behind. What is especially disheartening to me was the regalia making projects were started when I was chapter adviser and lodge AIA advisor.  We spent a lot of time, energy, blood, sweat, and tears doing research, raising money, getting permissions, etc. to make and use the regalia. 

5 hours ago, Oldscout448 said:

It's  1:30am,  in 14 hours  I head out to an joint Ordeal for four local chapters.  The ceremonies will have to be done by people who have never  done them before, never practiced together,  or even alone because no one knows who has what part.  I will have at best 2-3 hours to work with them before the pre starts. I am honestly dreading this. But until December 31st I'm still the ceremonies advisor for one of the chapters and so I have a duty to do what little I can,  even if my  chapter no longer has a team. 

Prayers  would be much appreciated my brothers.

Walititin Mikemossin Wunachuk

I have witnessed many poor ceremonies where principals read from the books.  I recommend focusing on the movements and the flow of the ceremony, rather than worrying about lines.

Take heart... most candidates don't really get the meaning of what they are hearing anyway.  It takes exposure to the speeches in the ceremonies and ideas several times until the real meaning of the OA begins to sink in.  (Like, studying for Brotherhood...)

Sadly it is just the trickle down of low scout numbers as scouts number of down 50% so would i would expect the OA number to be down the same or worse

Added to the fact the the OA even with its attempts to rebrand its self is not that appealing to to todays scout. At best its get the flap and that's it never see you again. or its just an expected side stop on the train to Eagle.

With the upcoming and ongoing mergers of councils and lodges OA will move to mainly  to the Order of Adults trying to relive a past glories.

I see a lot of disillusioned scouters when the childhood lodges are no more. or ego fights when lodges are merged .

john

• Upvote 3

Sounds like our lodge.  We had to cobble together an ordeal team for 150 candidates.  The lodge doesn't emphasize ceremonies.  Instead, it's all about parties during the large gatherings.  Who wants to be a ceremonialist when it means missing out on all the fun?  I tried for almost 2 years to get a team in my chapter, but as the older ones aged out, no one behind them made a serious effort to fill the ranks.

52 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

Sounds like our lodge.  We had to cobble together an ordeal team for 150 candidates.  The lodge doesn't emphasize ceremonies.  Instead, it's all about parties during the large gatherings.  Who wants to be a ceremonialist when it means missing out on all the fun?  I tried for almost 2 years to get a team in my chapter, but as the older ones aged out, no one behind them made a serious effort to fill the ranks.

When National mandated the horrible Arrow of Light Ceremony, and the HA base commercial that they are calling a Cross Over Ceremony, they took away the ability for lodges and chapters to create meaningful ceremonies. Add to it the push to do away with Native American regalia/ A lot of old time ceremonialists like myself stated this would cause problems down the road as the ceremonies and ceremonialists who conduct them were the inspiring and encouraging symbolic force behind the OA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

When National mandated the horrible Arrow of Light Ceremony, and the HA base commercial that they are calling a Cross Over Ceremony, they took away the ability for lodges and chapters to create meaningful ceremonies. Add to it the push to do away with Native American regalia/ A lot of old time ceremonialists like myself stated this would cause problems down the road as the ceremonies and ceremonialists who conduct them were the inspiring and encouraging symbolic force behind the OA.

My other lodge appears to have done away with regalia.  I think it's just laziness as no one seems to have reached out to a local tribe.  I need to get active in it and find out what the deal is.  Rumor is that the chapter advisor isn't really into it, but got pushed into the job.  

On 11/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, fred8033 said:

Your outside.  With scouters.  It's not perfect, but celebrate being together and honoring new members.

Actually  I was in the ring working raking, chopping, setting things up with the two retired ceremonialists who came and the three brave guys who volunteered because they saw a need, from 8:30 am -3:50 pm.    The B'hood ceremony started at 4:00

Edited by Oldscout448
  • Upvote 1
On 11/19/2022 at 7:20 PM, Armymutt said:

This hits home, we don't really have big parties but no one has joined the ceremony team in three and a half years.  Currently there only  only two left  next spring Ordeal only one.  

I feel like a passenger in a car who has warned  the driver over and over that we are running out of gas.  Now that the car has come to a spluttering halt on the side of the highway, the driver expects me to magically fix it somehow.   So he can keep on driving and ignoring me.

All that's left for me to do is open my door and start walking.  

Edited by Oldscout448
  • 1 month later...

I was thinking about this today and why I received that award.  I recall a dad and fellow Scouter outside of the OA being surprised that I was so active in the OA despite my oldest being a Bear.  I suppose I do it partially out of enjoyment, a sense of duty, and, most importantly for me, so that my kids have it when they are old enough.  More so, I hope to inspire the kids of today to ensure it is there for their kids.  This is why I champion the ceremonies.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I am so sorry. If the situation is anything like mine, I know all the emotions you are going through, and what you are feeling.

not unlike loosing a good friend after a long illness.  There is sadness, a feeling of loss but also a sense of relief.

• Upvote 1