Doctored Snapchat, rush to judgment, Scout framed and wrongly suspended.

Over the weekend, Syracuse/Watertown,NY news sources reported a "Boy Scout" (15yr old) threatening a school with a rifle. The "Boy Scout" had attended a scouting event where U.S. Army personnel were present. His proud mother took a video. The reports were short on facts and video links ... and now the rest of the story

The mother of the Boy Scout seen in the video recorded the eight-second video, which her son then posted on his private Snapchat account, according to Scott Armstrong, director of national media relations for the BSA. The scout was “holding a rifle swung over his shoulder. He was holding it up, not pointing it at anybody, not threatening anyone in any way” at the event Saturday, Armstrong said.

Sometime after, another boy (14yrs old and NOT a scout) posted that video, a “doctored” version — one that warned kids not to go to school on Monday and showed the Boy Scout from Troop 26 with the rifle — popped up on Snapchat, Armstrong said.

After the video with the threatening caption began to circulate, multiple people alerted authorities. Watertown police on Sunday released a statement saying they were investigating a “captioned video of a juvenile male with a rifle” that “referenced Case Middle School in Watertown.”

Watertown police called the state police, the FBI and Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to help investigate.

“There was no caption, no threat, no commentary in the original video,” Armstrong said. The only audio was the Troop 26 Scoutmaster, who’s also a captain with the 10th Mountain Division, heard in the background, he said.

In addition to the boy’s mom, military personnel and scout leaders, who are active duty members of the military, witnessed the scout holding an inoperable M4 rifle, Armstrong said. The U.S. Army provided the rifle, as well as an attack helicopter and military vehicles at the event this weekend, he said.

The Boy Scout seen in the video was “proudly representing the Scouts and he was proud of the Army, as his dad is deployed overseas,” Armstrong said. He posted the video to his Snapchat account, which only 44 friends could see, Armstrong said.

“One of those friends screenshot his video and super-imposed (the threatening caption) and posted the doctored version on Snapchat,” Armstrong said.

The Boy Scout seen in the video, a freshman at Watertown High School, was suspended from school while the investigation continued. When his mother met with the principal Monday morning, she was told her son’s suspension would last five days for “causing a disturbance,” Armstrong said. The boy also has been asked to take his Regents exams in August, instead of this month, even though one of the exams is after the five-day suspension is lifted, Armstrong said.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2022/06/watertown-police-clear-boy-scout-of-wrongdoing-in-school-threat-charge-other-boy.html

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like a the scout did nothing wrong but yet he is faced with a five day suspension?  I fully agree with investigating, but once the truth was apparent stop the suspension and clear his name. 

Now, the video editing youth should face punishment.  

• Upvote 4

I was stationed there for over 4 years, Watertown is basically the heart of the anti-military hate machine. Locals hate the US Army and anyone that has anything to do with it. Since the father is on deployment the mother should reach out to the spouse of the senior officer involved with the FRG and request JAG and CID assistance to get her Scout back into school.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

e posted the video to his Snapchat account, which only 44 friends could see, Armstrong said.

Probably 43 now.

I did a lot of stupid things when I was 14 - engaging my mouth before putting my brain in gear type stuff. I think both of these kids are in a hot mess that I'd be in if every stupid thing I did was recorded in perpetuity. Rather than punishment it might be a lot more useful to just have a caring adult sit them down and point them in the right direction. I sure could have used some of that.

• Upvote 3

Agree, kids can do stupid things. I would like to see the Watertown school district rescind the suspension immediately and our Boy Scout be allowed to take state exams as planned.

As I understand, the superintendent is leaving in days as previously announced. Fix this now.

Who was that masked man - Scott Armstrong, Director of National Media Relations for the BSA?  From what I read, his response was quick, informed, and supportive - professional. 👍

My $0.02,

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
On 6/14/2022 at 6:31 PM, RememberSchiff said:

...Who was that masked man - Scott Armstrong, Director of National Media Relations for the BSA?  From what I read, his response was quick, informed, and supportive - professional. 👍

Scott still has some work to do on this. Articles are still circulating that read, "Boy Scout makes threat with rifle on social media to New York middle school." With no correction.

I get that with school safety, reacting quickly is important. Too bad the media doesn't react as quickly to incorrect information as they did when they reacted hastily to the original erroneous report.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, FireStone said:

Scott still has some work to do on this. Articles are still circulating that read, "Boy Scout makes threat with rifle on social media to New York middle school." With no correction.

I get that with school safety, reacting quickly is important. Too bad the media doesn't react as quickly to incorrect information as they did when they reacted hastily to the original erroneous report.

Any update to this story? Was the suspension revoked? What his school record cleared? Was he allowed to take his state exams with his classmates?