Unit refuses to hold elections

The most important reason that a Scoutmaster should not be permitted to add to the list is very simple.  The Order of the Arrow is really youth run.  The Lodge Chief and their Lodge Executive Committee, all youth, make the rules administer and organize the events, and adults serve as Advisors.  The most difficult job for the Lodge Advisor is keeping adult influence in check.  Recently a National Council of Chiefs and the huge majority of Lodge Chiefs voted down the idea of doing away with elections.  It is up to the Scoutmaster to validate each candidates eligibility.   Everyone is not elected but the choice belongs to the kids since they own the lodge.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I recall my days in OA, the Scoutmaster begins the process by developing a list of scouts who are qualified for election, based on rank, # of nights camped, and last but not least, "Scout Spirit". 

Let me preface my comments by saying that as a youth, I was a Brotherhood member of the OA, and in my senior year was simultaneously SPL of my troop and editor of the Lodge newsletter, so I know from

i have seen worse. I have seen Elangomats talk, eat and drink both in front of candidates and away from candidates, sleep under tarps, and sleep back in camp away from the candidates. I was taught an

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

Recently a National Council of Chiefs and the huge majority of Lodge Chiefs voted down the idea of doing away with elections.  It is up to the Scoutmaster to validate each candidates eligibility.   Everyone is not elected but the choice belongs to the kids since they own the lodge.

You are joking that it came up, right?

No, I'm afraid not.  That proverbial "Somebody at National", who will never be identified, came up with that grand plan.  They even had the form for Scouts to be placed on the list for eligibility to join up!  Another example for handing out a trophy for showing up.  I have come up with an option for those who refuse to "go along with the program" , won't work, won't follow instructions, and talk all weekend long.  It just takes a little imagination and thought🤔

• Upvote 1
On 8/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

You are joking that it came up, right?

There were 5 (?) items to consider. That was one. The others that were also voted down included moving the rank requirement to star, going back to the "vote only for 1/2", something to do with the honor society name, and one other I don't recall.