Scripts for Eagle CoH for a group of scouts

Greetings!

We are one of the largest troop (~100 scouts) in the region. We have always had Eagle CoH in the past when individual families chose to hold one for their sons. Starting 2020, mainly due to the pandemic and partly due to other reasons, we have a group of scouts (6 as of now) who earned their Eagle rank in 2020 but there hasn't been any ceremony to recognize them for their achievements. For the lower ranks, we have had our regular CoH done virtually but the Troop would like to hold a court of honor for these fine young men in an outdoor group ceremony.

The question i have is - can anyone share examples of scripts/ceremonies on youtube where a group of Eagles are recognized in one ceremony?

Note: This is not about the debate of what is better -  holding a ceremony for each scout individually or as a group. I am simply looking to see if anyone can share script or ideas of how we can do the group ceremony while maintaining that special recognition feeling for each of the scouts.

Thank you in advance.

• Upvote 1

I agree that almost any ECOH script could be modified to include multiple Scouts.

When I grew up in Scouting in the 1960s, all COH, including ECOH, were done at the District level.  There was no such thing as a COH at the unit level.  All ranks were handed out and recognized.  One COH had 10 Eagles presented, even from one troop.  It was held in a High School auditorium and covered by the local news.

I like multiple scouts being recognized together.  I prefer unit level as it inspires younger scouts.  Fellowship and setting an example is important. 

Our troop had an ECOH with a large number of scouts.  It was one of the few really enjoyable ECOH I've attended.  Everyone happy and smiling.  The ECOH also taught me a lesson that I trusted each and everyone of these scouts with fire, knives, guns, etc, but strangely I was very scared when they got the microphone. 

Edited by fred8033
6 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

I like multiple scouts being recognized together.  I prefer unit level as it inspires younger scouts.  Fellowship and setting an example is important. 

Our troop had an ECOH with a large number of scouts.  It was one of the few really enjoyable ECOH I've attended.  Everyone happy and smiling.  The ECOH also taught me a lesson that I trusted each and everyone of these scouts with fire, knives, guns, etc, but strangely I was very scared when they got the microphone. 

Thanks. Would you be able to obtain a script for such an ECOH?

1 hour ago, sri_oa161 said:

I agree that almost any ECOH script could be modified to include multiple Scouts.

When I grew up in Scouting in the 1960s, all COH, including ECOH, were done at the District level.  There was no such thing as a COH at the unit level.  All ranks were handed out and recognized.  One COH had 10 Eagles presented, even from one troop.  It was held in a High School auditorium and covered by the local news.

Thanks. I am looking for a sample script for multiple scouts in one COH. Will you be able to point me to one or share one? 

@Scouter20

1. WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2. I have been to 3 ECOHs where multiple Scouts have been recognized, and was friends with an Eagle that was in a troop that din 1 ECOH a year. All of the scripts were modified individual ECOH scripts. In fact the 1st multiple ECOH's script was the one I used for mine.

3. As Fred said

8 hours ago, fred8033 said:

... Watch time.  Long ceremonies can be painful.

I can attest to that. One of those ECOHs was over an Hour and a half, not including the reception. 

Some advice, FWIW.

4. As the father of an Eagle who had their ECOH during the COVID Pandemic, you need to keep up with the local laws on outdoor gatherings. You may need to limit the number of family and friends each Eagle can have. And do not rely on folks RSVPing. My son had over 75 people attend his. Thankfully we were doing it at the church we meet at, and the pastor was involved, so we were met the religious institution clause.

5. Have masks and handsanitizer on hand. Yes folks will forget masks.

6. If you have a reception, individual servings. More expensive, but a lot safer

7. Plan on set up taking a lot longer. Normal ECOH takes about an hour in my experience. It took a lot longer measuring distances and setting up chairs.

8. If you have known high risk folks attending, set up a separate area for them. We had 3 folks at my son's. We had two areas set way apart, but great views, for the two families,.

More later.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Upvote 1

Little trick I did to get distances. used 100' of paracord and put knots every 8 to 8.8 feet apart. Sorry cannot remember but got the number from adding the width fo the chair to 6'. It was strung out and construction flags the church used for services were put at every knot. And that marked the rows of chairs. The two areas I had for the high rick folks were 12-12.5' away from everyone else. Also  CALL ALL HIGH RISK INVITEES IF THEY DO NOT RSVP! (emphasis, not shouting). I just remembered we had a 4th high rick person who did not RSVP and showed up.  Thankfully it was at the point we were adding chairs to the ones set up, and the family spaced themselves apart.

For an outdoor venue, visit the place around the same time the ceremony will be. Pastor recommended one spot were he has services. At the time of day the ECOH would be, it would be sweltering. Found another spot on the church's property that was perfect.

Back to masks, PLEASE MAKE SURE INVITATIONS STATES MASKS ARE REQUIRED. Sounds commonsense, but trust me it's not. And again have them on hand.

The best/most memorable (other than Scoutson's !)  Eagle CoH involved three brothers.  They waited until all three were eligible, and then arranged for a campout at their grandparent's farm, which had been a camp site  for the Troop for many years , even before the brothers joined.  

The audience had to park some distance from the campsite, and hike in , maybe 200 or 300  yards thru the woods.  The Troop had set things up very nice,  campfire, tables, area for the crowd to set up their camp chairs.  Candles, ceremony, worthy speeches, songs.  Campfire.   Refreshments were burgers and hotdogs and salad fixings,  (salads were "potluck",  burgers and dogs were being cooked while the ceremony went on....

At the end, everyone did the congratulatory things, and the parents  went home.  The Scouts stayed at camp.   

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback and points of considerations for COVID. Agree with all - our troop is big on following the protocols and most of the eagles being honored have had to do their projects during the pandemic. All expected measures will be in place for the ceremony. 

I see many of you mentioned existing scripts can be modified for group CoH but I have not yet seen one. Would appreciate if anyone can find a sample that I can work with for planning.