P.C. ... Will scouting follow sports

19 minutes ago, yknot said:

While I don't want to see statues come down, I am all in favor of more statues. We have so little public art any more. Let's just keep telling the stories, including the new ones we find, instead of bringing down those that are problematic.  

I agree.  Historical art connects us with the past, good or bad.  That's art.  It triggers thoughts and feelings.  Yes, some art and names do need to come down as there is little value and it's mostly inciteful.  But then again, some should stay to trigger conversation and reflection.

When I was a kid, I attended a summer camp that taught the German language and culture.   Ladderhosen.  Drinking songs.  etc, etc.  "Historically", it was not that long after 75 million died in WW2 and 20 million in WW1.  Those camps still exist and are still attended.  I'm surprised people don't complain about promoting a bloody history.  Similar protests could be made against every nation / culture in the world. 

Edited by fred8033

I see huge disadvantages in Scouting continuing to wear this huge target on its back as it tries to recast a positive image for a program in which young people learn Scouting skills and values and are taken on safe outings.  We are not an ethnic-centric organization like the leagues of immigrants and descendants that preserve specific ethnic heritage.  There is no advantage for our young people if Scouting encourages them to impersonate native Americans.  Let’s keep the study of cultures and their attributes as part of our merit badge program and move forward.  

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Cburkhardt said:

There is no advantage for our young people if Scouting encourages them to impersonate native Americans.

I agree. I know the Scouts in our troop were not at all impressed with the OA callout ceremony. This was not for want of trying at camp (in 2019). They had 3 fires that were about 10-15 feet high, OA members coming by in a cone, etc etc. They were like "ah, why were they dressed like that?" As a Scout I was impressed by the mystery, these Scouts were skeptical. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

As a Scout I was impressed by the mystery, these Scouts were skeptical. 

Agreed ... Today's generation is much less native and has seen way more.   Old fashioned ceremonies do look hooky in today's eyes.

And yet, the Ohio State football team lines up, holds hands, and sings the Alma Mater with the fans after every game.   And, as pros, they tell you they are from  "The Ohio State University."

Then theres:  

We won't even mention A&M.

Edited by MattR
Missing edit button
  • Like 1