I am a high school math teacher who has used the Canvas platform for several years through our local school corporation. I download all my power point lesson plans, word documents, etc into "my clasroom" and my students can access them when they are absent, when our school goes to all e learning days for snow days(northern Indiana) or more recently when Covid hit back last March.  The teacher can also write quizzes/tests that students can take to show mastery on that topic.  I also used It for one on one tutor (canvas conference) during E learning where the student and I could hear each other and share a writeable screen( I stopped doing this recently and changed to Skype for Business this last spring due to the fact that many of our students were more familiar with Skype.)  It takes some time to learn the platform but once set up it can be a useful tool for online classes.   Not sure how students get connected to your page since our IT gurus did all that work in the summer.  I am sure I have forgotten a few details but that should give you some ideas of my uses.  

It seems like there are some Canvas demos online that we saw before the school adopted the program.  After adoption, our school IT gurus created training videos that have great tips to make pages work for the teacher.  

I would only suggest you use this if you plan to use for several years.  I would hate to see you invest many hours of set up time and then use it for one event.  Just curious how you plan to use the app.  

It’s widely used in colleges, I prefer it over Google Classroom. I’m currently a college student. I’ve never had a problem with the conferences, it’s easy to use, and overall reliable. But, please be aware that the free version of Canvas misses a decent amount of features. 

I’m not too sure how it would work as a virtual scouting event, depending on what the event is.

Edited by ItsBrian

My dad is a college professor, and I had to train him in the use of Canvas when the pandemic forced him to shift all of his voice and acting classes online.

It's not particularly user-friendly, nor is it particularly intuitive. I would recommend against it; it's far too complicated for the needs of Scouting. All you really need is a simple platform like Zoom or GoogleMeeting. Canvas is much too complex and involving to be practical for Scouts and their families. 

And I thought this was going to be a discussion of the merits of Wall vs. Baker tents...

Seriously though...the college where I teach uses Canvas.  I'm knee deep in it right now getting ready for fall.  I could see how it might work for online MB's...the separate the requirements out as modules, allow for upload of documents/videos/etc. to verify completion, etc.

But, I agree with @The Latin Scot that it may be overkill.  I'm not sure what all is involved in the "back end" on setting it up, but from what I've heard from our IT and instructional design folks it does take quite a bit of legwork. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Chisos said:

And I thought this was going to be a discussion of the merits of Wall vs. Baker tents...

Seriously though...the college where I teach uses Canvas.  I'm knee deep in it right now getting ready for fall.  I could see how it might work for online MB's...the separate the requirements out as modules, allow for upload of documents/videos/etc. to verify completion, etc.

But, I agree with @The Latin Scot that it may be overkill.  I'm not sure what all is involved in the "back end" on setting it up, but from what I've heard from our IT and instructional design folks it does take quite a bit of legwork. 

Wow,  I thought I was only old timer here.  Most of the "youngins" I know have never heard of a baker tent(or wall tent).  Probably thought it was were the kitchen staff slept.  😁😁

• Haha 1

Thank you all.  The feedback on setting it up was well noted, as was the cost.  We are now looking at Flipgrid as well.  I hear they are going to address virtual on the National call next Thursday.  I am going to wait to hear that outcome and recommendations.

But, thank you again for the input, it is appreciated.

1 hour ago, ShootingSports said:

Thank you all.  The feedback on setting it up was well noted, as was the cost.  We are now looking at Flipgrid as well.  I hear they are going to address virtual on the National call next Thursday.  I am going to wait to hear that outcome and recommendations.

But, thank you again for the input, it is appreciated.

I have used flip grids for numerous assignments. It is extremely limited and is nothing like canvas. Plus, it limits the recording time unless you pay for a plan for the class. I personally do not like flip grid as many scouts may dislike recording themself.