Best Webelos Camp?

We always attend our local council Cub Scout camp, but also enjoy attending other area's camps.  Usually just the two of us and gives me a chance to get away from being "everybody's leader" and focus on being "just his dad."

I figure it's never too early to start looking for next year's adventure, so come looking for advice.  Yes, I know it's subjective, but...

Where is the "best" Webelos camp?  Looking for anywhere East of the Mississippi and North of Georgia.

Have you considered taking your son on a camping trip without uniforms? 

Our best Webelos campout was the one we organized ourselves at a state park. Granted, it took a lot of planning to provide food and activities for 15 scouts and their parents for 5 days, but those now 30 year old adults tell me that was some of their best cub scouting memories. Well, if it's just the two of you, that would be easy trip to plan.

Barry

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Have you considered taking your son on a camping trip without uniforms? 

We do a lot outside of Scouts too and go camping probably half a dozen times a year as a family.  So far, his favorite has been "stealth" camping along the trail during a sub-freezing winter whiteout.

He and I are looking to do a 3 day canoe trip as our "end of summer" trip before school starts back up.   For an 8 year old, I hope it's memorable and keeps him as occupied as his iPad does. :) 

Edited by Pale Horse
20 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

We do a lot outside of Scouts too and go camping probably half a dozen times a year as a family.  So far, his favorite has been "stealth" camping along the trail during a sub-freezing winter whiteout.

He and I are looking to do a 3 day canoe trip as our "end of summer" trip before school starts back up.   For an 8 year old, I hope it's memorable and keeps him as occupied as his iPad does. :) 

After watching my three adult kids with their families, I can say with confidence that you are setting up your son for a wonderful life. Well done.

Barry

Camp Yawgoog in Rockville, Rhode Island has an excellent WEBELOS summer camp program.

Some things I liked about the program was the time given to the Scouts.

Most days they ate lunch early at the camp site and not in the dinning hall. While everyone else was eating lunch they had archery and Shooting range (BB guns) to themselves

I also liked that they put them WEBELOS first. They were put up front marching into any campfires/nighttime shows....and sat in the front row at these

They had their own cheer. Staffers had to cheer with them when they did it at meal time.

The staff was good. There was always at least 5 staff in camp to supervise the scouts

• 5 months later...

One of my favorite campouts as a kid was to Camp Rock Enon in Gore, Virginia. What I liked best about that trip was that we didn't sleep in tents --- they had these log-cabin lean-to shelters called Adirondacks and a whole patrol could sleep together in one.  Wonder if they still have those Adirondacks....

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 3:42 PM, CNYScouter said:

Camp Yawgoog in Rockville, Rhode Island has an excellent WEBELOS summer camp program.

Some things I liked about the program was the time given to the Scouts.

Most days they ate lunch early at the camp site and not in the dinning hall. While everyone else was eating lunch they had archery and Shooting range (BB guns) to themselves

I also liked that they put them WEBELOS first. They were put up front marching into any campfires/nighttime shows....and sat in the front row at these

They had their own cheer. Staffers had to cheer with them when they did it at meal time.

The staff was good. There was always at least 5 staff in camp to supervise the scouts

Thanks for the suggestion. This one's definitely in the running.  I like the fact it's a true week-long experience, and not these 3 day ones that start on the evening of day 1 and end before noon of day 3 to avoid the 72 hour rule.

Little bit of a road-trip from Michigan, but that's part of the adventure.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 3:33 PM, mrkstvns said:

One of my favorite campouts as a kid was to Camp Rock Enon in Gore, Virginia. What I liked best about that trip was that we didn't sleep in tents --- they had these log-cabin lean-to shelters called Adirondacks and a whole patrol could sleep together in one.  Wonder if they still have those Adirondacks....

We just booked Rock Enon. Really looking forward to it. Not so much the 7.5 hour drive.