Your employer and scouting

I tried to spin this off from the thread on Professionals and thier volunteer time but seem to be spin handicapped.

So here's a new thread.

Having been employed in the private sector my entire career I can understand FOG's frustration expressed in the thread on scouting professionals and time for their volunteer scouting activities, relative to the understanding one's employer may have of time spent on scouting.

However, fortunately my current employer has been quite understanding. While I don't get time off for scouting, I have been able to rearrange my schedule so I can make Troop and Committee meetings on time and leave early an occaisonal Friday to make a trip or two. It is also actually part of my performance review, as leaders in our firm are encouraged to participate in local service organizations.

I also probably spend more time on this forum than I should.

It does help that our ex-CEO, my Boss and his two sons are all Eagle scouts though. :)

How does your employer respond to your involvment with scouting?

SA

I've worked for the same guy off and on for the last 23 years. While I can't get a whole day off without taking it as vacation, he has always been lenient with all of his employees needing to leave early on occasion. As long as it isn't expected or abused, he is more than willing to accommodate us. I do on occasion take a half day off the day of a campout so I can get home, load the truck, change clothes and be at the meeting place on time. I get off work at 5 PM and we usually leave for campouts at 5:30 PM. It takes me at least 35 minutes to get home for work, so I have to leave early if I don't want to drive alone and hunt for our campsite.

I have always worked in the private sector. Because of my wife's work we have lived in a few councils and I have had a few different employers over the years. Every one of them gladly gave me time allowances to work with the scouts. One gave me a week off with pay to attend Wood Badge, others let me leave early on campout weekends or for special scouting events. I have gone to Philmont without it counting against my vacation time.

In one community where 5 of us in one location were active scouters, the employer (not one of the 5) bought a table at the Council recognition dinner and had us go, as well as a table at the United Way recognition and at an FOS banquet.

Now I admit not every employer is as supportive, but then alot depends on the employee too.:)

I have worked at the same place in the private sector since I started in Scouting & I have never had any trouble getting off early for Scouting stuff. My current boss is great about it.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I am a Federal government employee. Being a senior manager, I can take off just about any time I need to, but anything greater than 59 minutes is charged to annual leave. That's the law. Gotta make sure the taxpayers get their money's worth! I take two vacations a year...Christmas and Summer Camp.

We have something called the Neighborhood Network I have no idea what it is all about they ask us to track our volunteer hours monthly and turn them in. Every now and then they give us a little token: A pin, a bookmark or a shirt.

I work flex-time so can just about come and go when I like as long as I don't miss anything important. My boss has a son who is an Eagle Scout and is very understanding about my coming and going. This year I will reach the top of the vacation hill and be up to six weeks a year. I can sell one week a year back or buy an extra week. I always buy the extra week. If I don't use it they refund the money at the end of the year.

Eamonn

Correct, FOG. I am FLSA "Exempt"...no overtime. But like a good Scout, I consider it "duty to country" and "cheerful service". Even when I have to give up my weekend in airports and still have to be at work Mon morning. The travel regs say "time in travel status is not considered hours of work and is not compensated."

So if they want me to go to WB or Philmont, summer camp gets cancelled. I have to choose what's more important to the boys. Cancel Christmas? Wait, I'll ask my wife.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

The travel regs say "time in travel status is not considered hours of work and is not compensated."

That's true with most companies as well. That's why when I travelled a bunch, I told my boss that I'd fly out Monday morning but never on a Sunday. Fortunately, I was irreplaceable.

I work in the private sector. My boss has been great with letting me leave early for Scouting activities and sporting activities too. I coach soccer, basketball and tee ball.

It helps that my boss in an Eagle Scout, has a boy the same age as mine and is a den leader. So he is usually heading out the door for a scout activity the same time I am.

I get up to 30 extra days of non-chargeable leave per year for Scouting-related activities. My boss has an Eagle Scout son, and another knocking on the door -- needless to say, he's very supportive. Former Scouts and Eagle Scouts are over-represented in leadership positions in DoD, so I've never gotten what I'd consider a "pushback" regarding my Scouting time.

It certainly helps to have a Presidential Executive Order directing DoD to support Scouting (BSA and GSUSA) in overseas areas. In my experience, though, most people in a position to support you aren't aware of the EO and support you anyway.

Our kids get jerked around enough as it is; we collectively, and perhaps subconsciously, bend over backwards to give them as normal a life as possible -- this is just one of many ways we do it. For perspective, in my experience everywhere I've lived, anyone doing anything youth-activities related (sports, chapel, JROTC) got the enthusiastic support of their leadership.

Any Scouters who work for the ACLU or the Massachusetts Court System want to weigh in?

KS

I am aware of the EO and of service-specific instructions as well. I pushed the issue up to the appropriate Pentagon office and was told "that policy does not apply to civilians." I am the only Scouter at my command that I am aware of, so I get no support locally. Funny, we are the ones who take the lads camping and keep the units alive when Dad or Mom are deployed...using our precious vacation time in the process. Just my little way of supporting the troops some of whom are my neighbors. I know they appreciate it, and I am happy to do it.

I enjoyed the benefit working for the scouts of getting time with my unit so much, that when I left the scouts I always asked for the benefit with my new employer. It has never been a problem. I don't abuse it either though, gift horse and all that stuff.