Changes to Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills

Just learned that our council's Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS) course (required for Webelo Den Leaders and Scoutmasters) has been significantly watered down due to changes in National's policy. I've always felt that the old IOLS course didn't go far enough, and that a separate backpacking-specific course was necessary to adequately prepare SM/ASMs. Is this occurring elsewhere, and if so, how are your Councils training scouters for anything beyond car camping, or is it all handled at the unit level?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been going on since at least 1989. Since then I went to camp after camp where mere presence at sessions earned "Scoutcraft"  MBs.   In 2015, the historic finality of the Merit Badge Counselor's

Seems like it is pretty weak though some counselors will try to beef up. The real problem is so many younger folks have weak camping skills take the watered down IOLS and think they are good to go. IM

I do not agree. Part of the BSA program issues stem from adults with no outdoors skills. They cannot pass on training to Scouts or supervise adventurous outings. Older boys can only do so much car cam

Personally, I'd like to see Den Leaders take BALOO in the Tiger/Wolf years, IOLS in the Bear/Webelo years, and then develop a new course for SMs/Senior Scouts/Venturers focused on backcountry camping, including intro to canoe camping, backpacking, etc.

The current IOLS syllabus devotes 1.25 hrs to backpacking and hiking.

I have delivered that session in May, June and July of this year for two different councils, and only 60 minutes was allocated in each case.

Thanks TAHAWK. What was your impression of the level of comprehension of your students given only 60 minutes of instruction/awareness? Seems that the majority of the IOLS skills are required long before troop level activities - fire, cooking, sanitation, knots, navigation, first aid, etc. I'd really like to see application and development (not awareness) of these skills taught to troop and crew leaders. Think of it as the G and E of the EDGE method.

Fortunately, we have a strong backpacking culture in our troop, and train from within, but new troops starting out must struggle without these types of resources. So, just curious how others handle this issue.

Edited by Rock Doc

Given the time limit, I give priority to highlights not covered in the Handbook (and topics are not easy to find given the lack of a true index), such as features of boots for backpacking, avoiding cotton socks, SOTP, the concept of "Home Base" and what information needs to be there, and the myth of "waterproof breathable" garments.  

Can you tell us what has been significantly watered down?  Are they skipping some of the topics?  Are they reducing the time on them?  What does that mean??

Every once in a while we get this kind of topic - how the IOLS course isn't comprehensive enough, that it doesn't cover topics in much depth.  And every time, I just silently shake my head and wonder what part of Introduction do people not quite get.  It's an introductory course - it's enough to get you started - it's not going to give you advanced knowledge of outdoor skills.  It's mostly designed to get folks comfortable with the outdoors, not to get a mastery of outdoor skills.  And if you stop to think about it, how much time do you spend with Scouts teaching some of these skills?  When's the last time you spent over an hour teaching Scouts how to select a camp and put up a tent?  I doubt most troops have ever done it in the formal way that IOLS does it - I'd be surprised if any Troop took more than 15 minutes to do this.  An hour or so for an overview of backpacking and hiking in an intro course sounds just about right to me - it's enough to get some basics across and generate interest.

Where the BSA fails is not in IOLS but in not offering more advanced skills courses (and no, Wood Badge does NOT count) and really leaving it up to Scouters to find their own resources for learning more advanced skills.  Sure, the commissioner campsite at summer camp can be a great resource but how many Scouters get up to Summer Camp on a regular basis (why, oh why, don't more District Commissioner staffs set up a commissioner site with activities through the day at Camporees?).

• Upvote 1

Here in our District, last time  my "Yoda" and I decided to make sure we covered the "Official" curriculum, but kept much of the old curriculum, too.  We explained what we were doing, it was fairly obvious from the included materials. We have always jncluded "added value"  (""now how much would you pay?"") .  We opened as usual early Saturday morning, and said goodbye as usual about 3pm Sunday.  No complaints. 

Our plan is to run the course as a Troop campout, Patrols do classes, have some friendly competition, and gain awards for their flags. The goal is to go thru the Scout to First Class requirements.    Patrols are formed at the indoor part of the course, and thru email discussions.  Seems to work. 

Our "old timers" concur that the watered down course was done in response to complaints that the "old course" was too long and not adult enough.   We treat our nascent SMs as Scouts, and haven't had any problems.  

Too long?   Maybe that is a reflection of the reality that today's Troops seem to HAVE to get home sunday before 1pm......

Might be we were doing it right all along....

I like the new syllabus.  THe old one gave people confidence in first aid thinking they knew first aid for example.  Just removed that and get people to take the Red Cross First Aid class which is much better, and then onto wilderness first aid.

Other than that I didn't notice too many other changes.

People with professional licenses, i.e. fields of medicine and education, are all required to take so many hours a year taking continuing education.

YPT needs to be renewed every two years as are other training situations in BSA, i.e. Safe Swim, CPR, Wilderness First Aid, etc..

Even such programs like Master Gardeners require continuing education to maintain membership.

But when it comes to our boys, we like the rank advancement process.  Do it once and you're good to go...forever.  No retesting allowed.

Maybe we're turning out Paper SM's. ??  I dunno.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with CalicoPenn about having BSA offer more advanced skills courses. We already have too many useless requirements to waste our time.

Were the courses required and were they useless.  But advanced outdoor skills is not even available and it seems to some that better outdoor skills could lead to better outdoor program.

Were the courses required and were they useless.  But advanced outdoor skills is not even available and it seems to some that better outdoor skills could lead to better outdoor program.

Hmmm maybe the notion of weekend classroom style setting is completely flawed ...

... Perhaps if there an award for having read a concise but accurate set of reading material and demonstrated specific skills, e.g. One for Camping another for First Aid, Hiking, Swimming, etc ... Something like a little round medallion for each ... Maybe an oval one for a certain cluster of skills ... Maybe a certain oval would represent qualification to take your boys hiking and camping independently. ... Maybe if youth could earn that same award as adults.

Sure he district could still put on weekend instruction, but maybe certification should come from senior boys (if a new troop ... Perhaps from senior boys in a neighboring troop).

• Upvote 1

I disagree with CalicoPenn about having BSA offer more advanced skills courses. We already have too many useless requirements to waste our time.

I'm wasn't advocating more required skills courses - I was advocating that the BSA develop more advanced skills courses that can be offered to volunteers on an annual or biannual basis - someting interested parties in a District could offer across district boundaries, or even something  that could be offered as a more formalized training at summer camp - while the Scouts are out earning Merit Badges, the Leaders could be spending time learning too.  There are all these "commissioner college" courses out there - why no advanced outdoor skills courses?

• Upvote 1