I decided to actually answer your questions, even though they sort of got buried under the jokes.

Question 1: Forum members can send flag reports when you see advertising, as several of you already do. I would say the majority of the reports are acted on within 24 hours, most of the remainder within 48 hours. Occasionally a "reported" post will not be removed, because the moderators have (either individually or collectively) decided that it has some merit in a Scouting discussion even though it may also be seeking customers or donations for something. As for the moderators, we can delete posts and threads or move them to where you-all can't see them, and we can also ban the users, though the latter has little real efect because the spam-bots or spam-actual-people can just make new accounts.

Question 2: Not that I am aware of, but keep in mind I am one of the most recent batch of moderators appointed in this forum. Does anyone know differently?

are you able to track IP addresses? On a site I moderate, we are able to do that, and find that a lot of the spammers come from china. not sure how this site works, but we are able to ban chineese IP addresses somehow. some still end up still eventually finding a way back in, but it slows them way down.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WeeeeWooo, Weeeewooo, Weeeeewoooo! PC Police here! That is so racist! You ban an entire race of people just because of a few bad apples?

Spam, spam, spam, spam. Actually, what I had assumed (yes, I know what that means), that there was some sort of vetting process for new members. I don't think you can post spam (or anything else), if you are not granted an account by someone, right? I mean, if they can drop a few buzzwords, like WEBELOS, or WOOD BADGE, or the council they are registered in, that would be good enough. I mean, we even let Merlin in. I have no objection to China...if they are Scouters.

WeeeeWooo' date=' Weeeewooo, Weeeeewoooo! PC Police here! That is so racist! You ban an entire race of people just because of a few bad apples? :)[/quote']

Are people who eat Spam an entire race of their own? I never knew that. Thanks for the update.

Stosh

Actually' date=' I just checked again, and it appears that OUR accounts are being hijacked to post spam. The latest two are allegedly from "koolaidman", who is a legitimate member, I think.[/quote']

The jury is still out on that, none of the rest of us know for sure either.

Stosh

Hey now, I'm legit. Depending on how you filter the latest posts, the flaggers sometimes appear to be the OP. I flagged both the English and Swedish spam posts. That's my story and I'm sticking with it....

My hypothesis is you'll know a flagger, because you won't be able to see the message.

How about we share our favorite Spam Recipies? Spam Apple Turnovers Ingredients 2 tablespoons cornstarch 1 package cream cheese 1 cup diced apple 1/2 cup diced SPAM® Classic 1/2 cup frozen cranberries 1 package thawed frozen puff pastry sheets 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup water Directions Launch Kitchen View 1Heat oven to 350°F.2In medium saucepan, mix apple, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cranberries and water; bring to a low boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; mix in SPAM® Classic, cornstarch and vanilla. Return to a boil over medium heat; boil until thickened. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.3Cut puff pastry into 3x3-inch pieces. Spread spoonful cream cheese in center of each square. Add spoonful SPAM® filling to center of each square; fold dough to form triangle. Bake 12 minutes.

Actually' date=' I just checked again, and it appears that OUR accounts are being hijacked to post spam. The latest two are allegedly from "koolaidman", who is a legitimate member, I think.[/quote']

Scoutldr, or anybody else, if you have proof of that please do a flag report on the posts in question and/or private-message one or more of the moderators. Koolaidman seems to think it is not happening, at least not to him. If it really is happening, we need all pertinent information so we can bring it to the forum-owner's attention so action can be taken. Thanks.

My congratulations to the moderators for doing a great job. It's very rare that I see spam on the boards' date=' so someone is emptying the trash before I even see it.[/quote']

I thank you on behalf of all the active moderators, although I have to admit, most of the time that I see a spam post or thread it is because a flag report was made, rather than me spotting it on my own. So, in turn, I will thank all of those who send flag reports. I'm just one of the guys with the buttons to do something about it.

Scoutldr, or anybody else, if you have proof of that please do a flag report on the posts in question and/or private-message one or more of the moderators. Koolaidman seems to think it is not happening, at least not to him. If it really is happening, we need all pertinent information so we can bring it to the forum-owner's attention so action can be taken. Thanks.

Koolaidman must be smoking some pretty good... ahmmm, Spam. Yeah, Spam, that's the word I'm looking for. Did you bring enough to share?

Stosh