Florida Fish & Wildlife coming to Den Meeting

I am lucky enough to have been able to get a hold of out local Florida Fish and Wildlife office, and they are able to send someone out to do a presentation on basically anything I may need from him. So I went about and asked my den leaders what they would like for me to tell him so he is able to be prepared. This will be for the Tigers, up to the Webelow II. I figured I would come to yall for any ideas you might have on what he can come and talk to the boys about. Thank you so much for any ideas you may have.

A demonstration of various animals in your locality would be nice. Lessons on safety while fishing/boating would be important. How to rig a fishing line is something any boy might like to practice and learn.

Tell him to leave all of his law enforcement equipment at home or be prepared to field lots of questions about it. When we had a California Fish & Game person come to our pack meeting in full uniform, the boys were more interested in the gun, taser, billy club, and whatever else he was wearing. Cool stuff for sure and I got a big kick out of it, but the warden seemed to be disappointed that it was all the boys could focus on.

We have the same problem when the D.A.R.E officer shows up to do a talk on drugs. The only time the gun got trumped was when he brought in the drug sniffing dog. Now if the dog had a gun, well, that would be Valhalla, Cloud 9 and 7th Heaven all rolled into one.

Stosh

Can I come? :D

Ask about rabies and other sick animals and what scouts should do.

How to be safe in the outdoors (hiking, in water, in a boat). How to stay found.

Ask about non-native species (boas, piranha), invasive plants (how is DisneyWorld (and other zoos) allowed to plant bamboo?). Killer bees, fire ants.

Ask about protected species (manatee)

Ask about how to get a fishing license and the rules.

Ask how scouts can help dept.

Impact of weather and pollution on wildlife.

Very cool. Recommend scouts/parents write down their questions in advance on 3x5 to make efficient use of time.

Good ideas from qwasze and RememberSchiff. I remember back in the mists of time in my son's Cub Scouting days, we had a law enforcement agency (I am pretty sure it was federal - customs, maybe) bring in one of their drug-sniffing dogs. Huge hit with both the Cubs and the adults. I had never heard or read about how the dogs are actually trained to detect the different kinds of drugs. It was very interesting. I am sure we had a police officer come in once or twice, but I don't remember any inordinate badgering by the kids about their weapons and equipment. Of course, that was a long time ago.

Just saw this. There are different types of personnel working for these agencies. You need to make sure you get someone who is in wildlife management or research rather than enforcement. The fisheries guys or the 'fur and feather' guys usually have lots of props to help with these kinds of public venues. Invite the parents to attend as well. The researchers will also have a slightly different approach but they're full of little-known facts and will have the ability to answer all kinds of off-the-wall questions and settle all sorts wildlife-related 'urban myths'. Lots of fun for everyone. Some of the parents may be surprised to learn that raccoons DON'T breed through the nose (one of those incomprehensible urban myths).