Please share advice for handling a VERY tough situation involving our committee chair and chartered organization.

Fred, you just reminded me of something that happened in my first job. I needed an answer to some technical question so I went to the boss's office and poked my head in the door. Several of the bosses were crowded around my boss's desk and when I appeared there was a frantic flurry of hiding some kind of document. I got my answer and pretended not to have noticed the latest Playboy opened to the centerfold. I stopped wearing Hushpuppies to the office after that too.

dedkad, the troop was not created by these individuals. For whatever reason, the CO was changed in 2008.

fred johnson, thank you very much for this sage advice. After all, the worst thing that can happen is that the CC fires me for doing the right thing. Then I will know that is is definitely time to move (with my two sons) to another troop or start a new one.

Algonquin ... I'm just saying that you don't need to slowly phase in scouts signing off skills advancement. That type of change can be made very quickly. Scouts are quick to adjust and will probably like some of this.

It's the adults that are the problem. Just be careful not to step on too many toes.

I will say this. Scoutmaster works with the scouts and runs the BSA program. Troop committee and the chair deal with infrastructure to keep the troop running. But everyone needs to get along. Building consensus is important. Conflict between the adults will subvert the program and affect the scouts.

I fully believe the best way to make some of these changes are to make them quickly by working with the SPL and PLC. But you still need to get the troop adults on the same page.

All the other doodoo aside, I'm not clear on why youth sign-offs is the hill you want to die on.

You want to keep the older scouts engaged and their skills sharp--you do that by making them responsible for instruction.

You want the ASMs to be engaged, you do that by letting them sign off.

You're happy, the CC is happy.

Out of all the other stuff, this is the least of your worries, it doesn't make sense to lay down the line at something so trivial.

Anyway, as both Institutional Head and CC, she's just going to fire you if you don't play ball, unless you've got a silver tongue.

Wood Badge is great and all (or so I've heard) but you don't go to grad school without getting a bachelor's first.

Get all your entry-level training (the modules for the "Trained" patch), go to Roundtable for a few months, read the stinkin' Scoutmaster's Handbook (which I've read some ungodly percentage of Wood Badge participants have never done), read the Patrol Leader's Handbook (1955 version if you've got $5 and an eBay acct) then go to Wood Badge.

I was in a situation like yours. I stayed 6 months. Every month was harder than the last. Sometimes walking away is the best option, but it will seem like your quiting. I created my own 501c3 and secured a meeting place. Gear and money and be replaced. Your sanity cannot be. If the old guard hands every thing to you and the other parents, great, if not get out of there. Staying will only make you miserable. Also listen to the podcasts at ScoutmasterCG.

Al: If you're still reading this, I second all the above advice, boy led, boy responsible, SM and ASMs, find a new Troop, be sure to talk to ALL the other families, check your ripcord, walk to the door....

One more thing comes to mind.... "follow the money" has always been good advice in many social situations. Who (as if I couldn't guess) is the Troop treasurer? How were dues and expenses handled? If "they" are the CO, then "they" own any money left over....

And when you call Council to check on the Charter , ask about the "slush fund" , some Councils keep seperate unit accounts to help even up shortages and overages on the books come charter time.

If the unit otherwise has a respectable record, leave with a "good-by and thanks for the fish."

All the other doodoo aside, I'm not clear on why youth sign-offs is the hill you want to die on.

You want to keep the older scouts engaged and their skills sharp--you do that by making them responsible for instruction.

You want the ASMs to be engaged, you do that by letting them sign off.

You're happy, the CC is happy.

Out of all the other stuff, this is the least of your worries, it doesn't make sense to lay down the line at something so trivial.

Anyway, as both Institutional Head and CC, she's just going to fire you if you don't play ball, unless you've got a silver tongue.

Wood Badge is great and all (or so I've heard) but you don't go to grad school without getting a bachelor's first.

Get all your entry-level training (the modules for the "Trained" patch), go to Roundtable for a few months, read the stinkin' Scoutmaster's Handbook (which I've read some ungodly percentage of Wood Badge participants have never done), read the Patrol Leader's Handbook (1955 version if you've got $5 and an eBay acct) then go to Wood Badge.

Exactly. Have the senior scouts instruct, and the adults test (and reteach when necessary).