How was your Summer Camp?

Mostly A or B. Mainly because we do patrol cooking and skip morning formation. No apologies to anyone. The boys know the facilities, they choose how the troop takes advantage of them. One MB problem was that a few eagle-required classes got flooded with first years who weren't prepared to work on requirements, that really annoyed our boys on days 1 & 2. Nearest WIFI is a 20 minute drive off reservation. Not sure if that counts as a plus or minus. Most of our boys have 3G plans so it didn't phase them. ;)
KDD, if you teamed up with your local Y or Red Cross to do swim instruction in the winter, I bet you could have a lot of boys in your troop (and their sisters) take the MB again by virtue of simply helping you run the course.

One mom did this for a while and it was a huge benefit to our community. My kids were too young for MBs at the time, but we spent a lot of our summer on Lake Erie (and winter/spring breaks in FL) and it was a huge weight off my chest knowing my kids could cover 200 yards if they had to.

Just puttin a bug in your ear ...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly A or B. Mainly because we do patrol cooking and skip morning formation. No apologies to anyone. The boys know the facilities, they choose how the troop takes advantage of them. One MB problem was that a few eagle-required classes got flooded with first years who weren't prepared to work on requirements, that really annoyed our boys on days 1 & 2. Nearest WIFI is a 20 minute drive off reservation. Not sure if that counts as a plus or minus. Most of our boys have 3G plans so it didn't phase them. ;)
I am RC lifeguard and certified Y instructor. I have offer my services to the troop and been met with crickets. They got their BC and that is all they care about it seems. Scary.
Well, like I tell my boys: when a door closes, it's time to knock a hole in a wall.

Keep putting yourself out there. There's gotta be someone in your district who would take advantage of you.

My son #2 still has a 4 year old partial BC in swimming. So not every camp is a slam-dunk.

Summer camp this year sucked, but being in council we expected that.

By the time they rolled around to our week many of the staff members had already quit. They were down to just 3 life guards so swim checks took forever and all the classes were moved around to accommodate the missing staff.

We didn't get the Camp T-shirts we ordered and the camp said they have no record of the order, so we have to send someone to the council office to find out what happened.

The main topic of discussion among the boys was how FAT the camp staff were, several were over 300 pounds. (We thought BSA had height/weight limits????) They couldn't walk 100 yards w/o huffing and puffing. Many rode ATV's to their program areas so they wouldn't have to walk.

The part that really sucked was that due to this lovely article (http://dnews.com/local/article_8321dd16-cfda-5446-a291-9906288bfb40.html) which states which troops in our district are disbanding over the gay vote and includes a blurd stating that our troop is open to everyone, we were labeled the "HOMO TROOP" and our boys were not allowed to use the shower house because the good christian troops didn't want their boys in contact with our boys in an area where their wouldn't be adult supervision. But, Hey--we've got troops in our council that still don't allow blacks, so could we really expect less?

By the time they rolled around to our week many of the staff members had already quit. They were down to just 3 life guards so swim checks took forever and all the classes were moved around to accommodate the missing staff.

We didn't get the Camp T-shirts we ordered and the camp said they have no record of the order, so we have to send someone to the council office to find out what happened.

The main topic of discussion among the boys was how FAT the camp staff were, several were over 300 pounds. (We thought BSA had height/weight limits????) They couldn't walk 100 yards w/o huffing and puffing. Many rode ATV's to their program areas so they wouldn't have to walk.

The part that really sucked was that due to this lovely article (http://dnews.com/local/article_8321dd16-cfda-5446-a291-9906288bfb40.html) which states which troops in our district are disbanding over the gay vote and includes a blurd stating that our troop is open to everyone, we were labeled the "HOMO TROOP" and our boys were not allowed to use the shower house because the good christian troops didn't want their boys in contact with our boys in an area where their wouldn't be adult supervision. But, Hey--we've got troops in our council that still don't allow blacks, so could we really expect less?

And I thought it sucked when I got word someon called HQ claiming to represent our troop in opposition to the new policy.

You win so much, it makes this Christian boy want to put on one of those hats of yours.

Certainly your not suggesting the BSA discriminate against people with eating disorders ? Kick those FAT people out!

Qwazse:

The Aryan Nation is a white, Christian, separatist religious organization that was based in Hayden Lake, Idaho and is part of the Christian Identity organization; Church of Jesus Christ–Christian. The compound was dismantled and so was the original church they preached in, but more churches continue to spring up around the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nation

Recently, an avowed white supremacist ran for sheriff in Bonner County, Idaho; That same year another ran for sheriff in Latah County, Idaho.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/shaun-winkler-white-supremacist-kkk-sheriff-idaho_n_1365677.html

After the Aryan compound was torn down we had an influx of Klan members who moved to the area. Their members and remaining members of the Aryan's protested a program for 5th graders on Martin Luther King, Jr. in Coeur d'Alene. They arrived waving signs and shouting "white power" at cars.

(http://www.kxly.com/news/KKK-Group-Hit-With-Counter-Protest/-/101270/9224522/-/110mig2z/-/index.html)

In Moscow, Idaho, Pastor Douglas Wilson preaches that all social ills will be solved if people of color would return to their rightful place as servants and argues that slavery should be legal. His most controversial work is his pamphlet Southern Slavery, As It Was. He is the Director of New St. Andrews College, and is associated with several private Christian schools at the elementary and secondary level.

http://www.nsa.edu/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Wilson_(theologian)

All of these groups and their associated churches have chartered scouts units in my council. Racism is still very alive in our country; pretending it doesn't exist and claiming that there still aren't plenty of churches out their who preach this type of Hate isn't going to make the world a better place.

Only there 1 day this year (coverage issue).

Food, Facilities, Program, Staff all good or Excellent.

Programs for older youth keep boys involved.

They keep voting to return, that in spite of the fact that the first year we went, the food was nearly inedible.

My first year at Summer camp and really enjoyed it. The weather was rough. Low nineties almost every day with high humidity but everyone got through it. I thought the food was sub-par but all the boys said it was way better than lat years camp. There was more than enough food. Really enjoyed the adult training available.

Did have a couple issues. Each camp had an "Indian Pump" for putting out the fire and were told to use it. Ours had a leak in the hose at the base so you could not pump pressure and use it. It was reported 3 different times and it still was not fixed wen we left camp at the end of the week. Most of the staff were awesome but we did have two that were not. One didn't feel like putting any effort into teaching the merit badge and just gave out assignments and then sat back and played with her phone. The boys ended up with only about half of a badge completed when it all could have been done. The other taught archery and didn't bother making sure the younger boys new what their point totals were so they could come back during the free hour and work on their point total. On the last day she said everyone had completed the badge and dismissed them early only to give several partials because they hadn't gotten the 90 points required. Interestingly these two counselors were sisters.

Over all a great week and looking forward to going back next year.

My first year at Summer camp and really enjoyed it. The weather was rough. Low nineties almost every day with high humidity but everyone got through it. I thought the food was sub-par but all the boys said it was way better than lat years camp. There was more than enough food. Really enjoyed the adult training available.

Did have a couple issues. Each camp had an "Indian Pump" for putting out the fire and were told to use it. Ours had a leak in the hose at the base so you could not pump pressure and use it. It was reported 3 different times and it still was not fixed wen we left camp at the end of the week. Most of the staff were awesome but we did have two that were not. One didn't feel like putting any effort into teaching the merit badge and just gave out assignments and then sat back and played with her phone. The boys ended up with only about half of a badge completed when it all could have been done. The other taught archery and didn't bother making sure the younger boys new what their point totals were so they could come back during the free hour and work on their point total. On the last day she said everyone had completed the badge and dismissed them early only to give several partials because they hadn't gotten the 90 points required. Interestingly these two counselors were sisters.

Over all a great week and looking forward to going back next year.

I had one of those slackers. Basketry MBC wanted to play cards instead. Got out cell phone, took pictures of him playing cards, handed my phone to camp director. Next day major attitude change.
We had a great summer camp except for the dining hall.

I'm beginning to think the best bet is to do patrol meals, or since we don't have enough time for the boys to cook since it's scheduled for dining hall I'd be willing to cook 3 meals a day for the group rather than put up with the dining hall mess. Our camp went to cafeteria style last year and continued it this year. I'm sorry but an 11 year old little boy and a 17 year old boy do not need the same amount of food. The 2 17 year olds kept going over to the younger boys and cleaning up their plates! And this year they went to individual packets of peanut butter and kept running out so we started taking our own jar. And I know eggs are cheap, but every single breakfast is a little much.

Programs and merit badges were great. The boys said the skits this year they'd never ever seen many before which is incredible since 1 of the 17 year olds has been going since he was in cub scouts... I don't attend the stage shows and can barely do the dining hall due to anxiety in large crowds, but our troop works it out really well.

Probably the only down side was that they got new rifles (normally a good thing) but they had no scopes just iron sites. Had 2 of the scouts that are hunters not qualify because they kept getting just 1 shot out of the required size. But working with local shooting range to sign up as councilors as they are willing to do the qualifying make-ups at any time a scout comes in with parent

Boys got along great and even got my "I don't want to go without mom or dad" scout to come up for the last 2 nights and he had no issues so looking forward to getting him there for a full week next year plus a bunch more campouts before then!

Hunters should be able to hit their mark with iron sights.

My son had attended his first Summer Camp as a Cub Scout. Weather was hot and humid, but the staff had two five gallon water jugs at each program station. Food was good and plentiful, given the conditions dinner could have been lighter, but I know the menus are planned in advance. The staff was enthusiastic and accomodating. The kdis invited them back to site for s'mores and a handful were able to come by, they sang, played flashlight tag, and told stories. Teh cook even made a cake for son's b-day after I asked where to buy one. To top it off we attended the camp of my first summer camp.

We had a great summer camp except for the dining hall.

I'm beginning to think the best bet is to do patrol meals, or since we don't have enough time for the boys to cook since it's scheduled for dining hall I'd be willing to cook 3 meals a day for the group rather than put up with the dining hall mess. Our camp went to cafeteria style last year and continued it this year. I'm sorry but an 11 year old little boy and a 17 year old boy do not need the same amount of food. The 2 17 year olds kept going over to the younger boys and cleaning up their plates! And this year they went to individual packets of peanut butter and kept running out so we started taking our own jar. And I know eggs are cheap, but every single breakfast is a little much.

Programs and merit badges were great. The boys said the skits this year they'd never ever seen many before which is incredible since 1 of the 17 year olds has been going since he was in cub scouts... I don't attend the stage shows and can barely do the dining hall due to anxiety in large crowds, but our troop works it out really well.

Probably the only down side was that they got new rifles (normally a good thing) but they had no scopes just iron sites. Had 2 of the scouts that are hunters not qualify because they kept getting just 1 shot out of the required size. But working with local shooting range to sign up as councilors as they are willing to do the qualifying make-ups at any time a scout comes in with parent

Boys got along great and even got my "I don't want to go without mom or dad" scout to come up for the last 2 nights and he had no issues so looking forward to getting him there for a full week next year plus a bunch more campouts before then!

I have hunted my entire life and never owned a gun with a scope. My record of one deer, one shot still holds true after 40+ years. The only time I ever shot a deer with a borrowed scoped rifle, I turned the gun on it's side and sighted down the barrel with no sights and still got my deer, the deer was too close to find in the scope. :)

There's always a ton of problems at camp. A resourceful scout will figure out ways around it. If the mess hall sucks, go to a camp that doesn't have one. If the food is poor, bring your own. Over the years I have had to deal with all these issues and each time the boys made adjustments and things got better and the camp is just as "poor" as when we started.

If the MB or NSP programs are poor, skip them and do your own. You paid to be in the woods. Some of my best experiences with summer camp had nothing to do with the camp or their program. We had one boy one year taking astronomy MB. He had to go out and watch the sky for so many hours. So, we took the whole troop, grabbed sleeping bags, the sky was clear and we laid out there counting satellites, INCLUDING finding the international space station and accompanying supply ship that had disconnected a few hours earlier, fly-by in tandem. We found tons of constellations, and did not get one bit of "credit" towards any MB except the one boy doing the class.

We overslept in the morning, but the boys got up and patrol cooked in camp before heading out for whatever it was they wanted to do as a patrol for the day. The key being: "Whatever they wanted to do AS A PATROL for the day."

Some of the better ideas they had were an orienteering course, set up, and ran on their own, shooting competition amongst the patrol members at the open shoot time, hike to explore the camp the first time they went there, sail boat and canoe races on the lake, fishing contest followed by a fillet and cooking competition, service project for the camp, and yes, the boys figured out how to make a pretty good desert in a fry pan using cobbler ingredients, etc.

The best camp site I ever saw was when the boys put the four tents such that with the dining fly, they could go from tent to tent without getting wet in a downpour.

We drove the camp staff nuts many times, but they always came through when the boys asked, and the boys had a blast!

Some camps actually hold the boys to the standards.....

One fellow at round table was bragging his son, 12 year old, earned swimming and lifesaving at his first summer camp....I asked where, he told me......then began to brag the camp up. I told him not interested, because I have never met a 12 year old who was big and strong enough to earn lifesaving legitimately.

My 14 year old got a partial in swimming.....because of weather conditions.......called every merit badge councilor listed for swimming on the councils website to complete it.....guess what none of them do it anymore.