just a reminder that BSA National forbids ISA. Our troop does not have ISA. We feel that we could as our CO is a church that retains many freedoms all Americans once had. Much hiking equipment can be home-made or received as Christmas & birthday gifts. The Scout could also save part of his allowance if he gets one. Parents cannot use their kid's ISA
What if it was an IYA as recommended here: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/e/e0/Individual_Youth_Accounts.pdf

Or here:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/financeimpact/pdf/CFD-Manuals/Product_Sales_Guide.pdf

(specifically, page 9)

Contrary to your statement, National seems to condone scout accounts.

Can you give us a link that expressly prohibits them?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a reminder that BSA National forbids ISA. Our troop does not have ISA. We feel that we could as our CO is a church that retains many freedoms all Americans once had. Much hiking equipment can be home-made or received as Christmas & birthday gifts. The Scout could also save part of his allowance if he gets one. Parents cannot use their kid's ISA
If the ultimate burden falls on the CO for legal responsibility for ISA's, then why would national BSA worry about it, they don't really have any skin in the game except maybe PR and if someone gets thrown under the bus, so what?
I have sent a query to National via scouting.org. Let's see if they can get off their larded behinds and answer this month. Meritbadges.org is not an official mouthpiece for National. As for the file on scouting.org, I believe it to be written before the relatively recent change of views in the IRS. The reason I think so is that the page is still proudly showing the United Way symbol

Anyway, no more than four fundraisers a year, else you're outside your purpose and may be stripped of non-profit status. Now, if your church does a weekly funder, and gives you some each week, then OK

No more than 4 fundraisers a year and lose your non-profit status? Where is that documented?

Recent changes.....the Original memo was dated 2002.

Bottom line here........I am just a volunteer trying to put on an affordable program for my boys......First, When we instituted the ISA account it was unknown to us that it was not appropriate or against tax law. Just trying to do the right thing for the boys....

If national would provide rules regarding it...or provide a Troop, Pack and crew financial model...We would adopt it.

Bottom line here........I am just a volunteer trying to put on an affordable program for my boys......First, When we instituted the ISA account it was unknown to us that it was not appropriate or against tax law. Just trying to do the right thing for the boys....

If national would provide rules regarding it...or provide a Troop, Pack and crew financial model...We would adopt it.

not against tax law if periperal but inline with your program. In reading the IRS memoes, can be used for camp fees, uniforms, Handbook, Scout Shop training kits and any patches. If any of your Scouts have filled their ISA, maybe they can be a Secret Scout to help fill up their buddy's.

In trying to research this, I discovered one fool troop puts on a monthly carwash. This can get you classified as a business faster than anything.

I have sent National two different emails asking for the official stance. Evidently all the interns are super-busy planning great things for us.

How old are your Scouts now? Ours either caddy or act as self-employed junior handymen and gardeners through our associated Rent-A-Scout program. (Will take a stay at home Scouter or spouse to pull this off)

Admittedly, the easy way is all monies raised go into the general fund, and everyone goes to camp

About half of my 16+ y.o.'s will get some kind of desirable employment, a quarter will earn their families good graces by excelling academically. The other half, live in neighborhoods that, well, there are these street corners ...

Understand the street corners. Small shopkeepers may need errands run, floors swept, windows washed, back room sorted out; shoppers may need help carrying groceries home. Stand on the corner and sell ice cold bottles of water. If access to a commercial kitchen, stand on street corners and sell box lunches to morning commuters (or at least bags of homemade cookies) .Scavenge newspapers and cardboard for perpetual paper drive. Ditto deposit cans and bottles. They may then make enough money for Scout stuff.

Basementdweller, I think you've acted in good faith. Moreover, I think some IRS person would be pretty hard up to think pursuing any scoutmaster is worth even a minute of time over one of these situations. And I agree, perhaps BSA could turn some of its legal staff to finding an official opinion on this. Just keep in mind that those of us who have become accustomed to poor leadership out of Irving might, out of habit, ignore something that was actually useful as well.