Earning Eagle Scout with a felony

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are on probation, and not jerking our chains, then you have a probation officer. If I were advising you in your troop. I would strongly suggest that you be honest about this whole situation and once you are off probation, get a letter of recommendation from your PO for the EBOR. You have a heck of a row to hoe on this. Finish your write up, but delay the EBOR until you're off probation and have proven to your SM and fellow Scouts that you have truly changed and are worthy of this honor. It ain't all about getting a "go" at every station for minimally acceptable effort.

Good luck.

Here are my thoughts. It seems you were granted what is called in my state a deferral. In my opinion and likely also many others that is equal as a matter of fact as an admission of guilt and conviction. You made a poor choice with your actions, actually several poor choices. You are and will have to live with the consequence now and in the future. I'm all for forgiveness and I hope you are truely sorry for your poor choices. The Scout Oath and Law is a code of conduct and a way of life that Scouts are asked to do their best to live in accordance to. For whatever reason you made choices to not do so. Do you really think you deserve to be honored by Scoutings highest Rank award? The youth of Scouting hold Eagle Scouts in high regard. They assume that Eagles have embraced the Oath and Law in their daiily lives.

Taking a deferral, although might make sense is not the same in my book as doing the right thing. I'm pretty sure it may have been what is best for you but it is not what is best for those that might look up to you as an ideal. You see if you were awarded the rank of Eagle younger scouts, and some adults would naturally look up to you. IMHO the right thing for you to have done was stand up and say "I AM GUILTY! I HAVE NO EXCUSE! I KNEW WHAT I DID WAS WRONG; PLEASE SHOW ME MERCY EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT DESERVING!" My appologies if that is what you said but it appears that is not based upon my reading of your posting here. I believe you will bring more honor to the program that you espouse love for by being a Life for life! You can then tell your story with your head held high. You took the moral high ground and said "because of my errors I was not worthy."

Good luck, do the right thing as I hope and pray the EBOR will.

I am sure we all have show a lack of that "Scouting Spirit" in our youth. It is through Scouting that we grow and mature, gain leadership qualities , and take responsibility for our lives.

The original poster has indicated that he has made a terrible mistake. He already is showing remorse and and a desire to correct his actions. Seeing as he has 20 months till aging out, I see that as ample opportunity to take actions to re-establish his "Scout Spirit". He can work with a program for at risk kids, work with younger kids showing the dangers of drugs, or any other program of this nature. I'm not saying that a simple "I'm sorry" is suffice, but actions to back up this statement would go a long way with an EBOR.

As leaders we need to look at the youth and listen and try to guide them along their journey. I am not saying to abandon the guidelines of the BSA but to look at the intent of the Program.

wow guys you gave me a lot to chew on.

But thank you for reading my dilema, I have a few things to talk to my PO about and yes I will say that my decisions in life have not shown an example of scout spirit and I do want to get back on that path. I do have several months til I faze out of the program so I do have some time to get there. I am 110% towards earning this and my setback is of my own fault and so I am going to deal with it. Its really great that we can have these resources to provide some feedback and not just a webpage. I am commited and I have been for the past 10+ years I have been in scouting and hopefully many more to come. Again thank you all for your contributions it has definatly helped.

Everyone makes bad choices. When you choose to commit a crime (intent to distribute, no less), you should forfeit the privilege of wearing the Eagle Scout badge. Yes, I googled your "screen name" yesterday too. What I found was not very Scout-like (another life's lesson...your future employers know how to "Google" too).

If you want to take the high road, you should just "man-up" and accept that you blew it and not ask the adults on your Eagle Board to compromise Scouting's values. Instead you come here wanting to know if there is any way they can find out? That tells me you still don't "get it".

Wow, I am a dinosaur, I hadn't even though of Googling the screen name.

Liperazs, you have got to be kidding us. You think you deserve the Eagle rank when the very fist thing one sees on your MySpace front page is a marijuana leaf, before one even gets to any content inside? And the pot promo video also on youtube? The fact that it was put on under your account tells me all I need to know about where you have been, the question is where are you going? Excellent examples from someone who wishes to join the top 1-2% of Scouts.

Yes, there's some time to reform but from the cheap seats it looks like you have a big set of changes to make.(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

OGE, that's clear. His goal is to hope the EBOR doesnt' find out about his criminal behavior and get Scouting's highest award anyway. After all, he did produce a $300,000 project.

I would be in favor of requiring each Eagle candidate to submit a urine sample. After all, A Scout is Trustworthy, right? Is that why I now have to submit to a criminal background check after 35 years of service?

Kid, if you were in the military, you would be immediately discharged and sent home with a bad conduct discharge. No second chances, no excuses. Welcome to life. It's even harder when you're stupid.

For once we're talking about Scout Spirit as it should be... living the Oath and the Law in our daily lives.

Liperazs, read these words: Live the Scout Oath and Law in your daily life. If we were having breakfast at the local coffee-shop, you, I and your Scoutmaster, could you say you've done that?

Citizenship isn't about not breaking the law, it's about being the best person you can be, and helping to uphold the law.

Look into your own heart. Look at how people you should respect act, in public and away from the public. Do they model attitudes and behaviors you don't? Good or bad? None of us is golden. We all have our corners. You, though, have to decide, for yourself, what being "good people" means to you.

If that ethic is one of a stoner, a dealer, or a wannabe, then maybe you need to reconsider going to Eagle. If the ethic is of an active participant in society, then maybe going to Eagle is for you.

By all means, consider what Nike said. You want the folks in the justice system on your side when the time comes to go for Eagle. Here's the BUT: It'll only matter if you decide you want your life to be "mentally awake and morally straight."

I wish you well, but right now your attention needs to be very local!