Earning Eagle Scout with a felony

Hello liperazs,

You haven't said why you want to be an Eagle Scout. That can be important to understand particularly for you yourself.

If you believe that you can hide your situation from the Eagle Board of Review, very likely you are sadly mistaken. The odds are extremely high that they will find out just as some of the forum members found out. If so, my friend, you very likely are toast. If I were on that Board, I would do everything that I could to make the rejection permanent.

If you tell them of the situation, you may be failed by the BOR but they will respect you for your honesty. It is conceivable that they will lay out a course of action which would prove worthiness.

But let's say that you do manage to sneak past the Board. Your situation WILL become known sooner or later. At that point, it will be an embarrassment for you, for your Troop and for the Boy Scouts. Your "Eagle" will be fatally tarnished and you will have set a bad example for other youth.

The other alternative, as others have suggested, is voluntarily to step off the Eagle trail and decide that you will do your best to be a good Scout but not an Eagle Scout. In doing this, there is nothing to keep you from being involved and even serving as a leader at some point in the future. With the respect you say that you have for Scouting, which I greatly appreciate, it would seem that you have two legitimate choices:

1) Be totally honest with the Eagle Board and see where things end up

2) Step off the Eagle trail

The "hide it from the board" approach would appear to be lose/lose. Even if your records are "sealed" what you did is known by your peers, by their parents and by the community. This isn't like a jury being denied information in a court case. As an Eagle Scout, you are a marked and highlighted man in the community. In being an accused felon, you are also a marked and highlighted man in the community. Assuming that those two highlights won't intersect to your strong disadvantage is, I believe, fooling yourself.(This message has been edited by NeilLup)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, I know a way out for you, mate.

Go back to every kid you ever sold to. Talk 'em into quitting, help 'em get to a school counselor and a rehab program. If they don't listen, talk to their parents and tell their parents so their parents can help 'em get help. Inform the police about your supplier and the other folks who you know were sellin' to schoolkids.

Your sellin' did a lot of damage to other people. Yeh don't deserve Eagle until you work your butt off tryin' to repair the damage and make the community better. It's not enough to be sorry because yeh got caught. Yeh have to be sorry enough to make big sacrifices to repair what yeh did to the community, even though it's hard, embarrassing, and unpopular.

Then in 19 months, armed with recommendations from the students, parents, law enforcement, school counselors, etc. that you helped, yeh make your case to an Eagle BOR, and accept their verdict, positive or negative, with class.

Otherwise you're just a poser.

Beavah

Well, I will be a life scout for the rest of my life.

I did make some bad decisions and I am truely sorry and I absolutely love the scout program. Scouts helped me with many different chalenges in life and then I stepped off of the path and went into drugs. To all of you who Google searched me, kudos. What I did and what I wanted to acomplish, sometimes it calls it quits. I do not deserve Eagle in my eyes and so there is not much more that I can do.

I bid farewell to you all and hope that you may help annother like me somewhere down the line see the error and after so much work, not being able to complete it due to rash and often stupid actions.

I was going to stay away from this one, but.

Based on my experiance with his words and actions like the myspace stuff, I would have to say this young man is like many others I see on a frequent basis. There will be no change in his actions, other than more excuses why its others fault.

Sorry to say it, but usually once a dealer always a dealer.

" Well, I will be a life scout for the rest of my life."

If you are still reading the forum.

There are worse thing in the world.

As I have posted previously, at one time a few years ago, I was having dinner with 3 eminent Scouters. I was far and away the least significant.

One man is a member of the National Advisory Council, Silver Buffalo Holder and immediate past chairman of the National Court of Honor

Another man is a member of the National Executive Board, Silver Antelope Holder, distinguished consultant and in charge of Learning for Life

The third is now a retired 3 star Navy Admiral, Silver Antelope Holder, member of the Northeast Regional Board and formerly chairman of Boy Scout Training.

All were "Life for Life."

You have a long life ahead of you. Scouting is a journey, not an end point.

Gotta raise the BS flag on this one. A truly remorseful and repentant person would have removed all references to the drug culture before his parents, PO and fellow scouts could see it. I wish we could follow up to see if he really DOES remove his name from consideration, or if he's just blowing us off. I suspect he and Mom will continue the battle, and then be incensed when denied formally (I hope!).

By the way, Counsellors, would having such things on MySpace be considered a violation of probation?

BulldogBlitz writes:

you could campaign for obama. i hear he's considering making pot legal.

Yeah, or you could campaign for Sarah Palin. Spin your 420 logo like she does her $320,000,000 "Bridge to Nowhere:" You were FOR it until you were AGAINST it!

Kudu

Guest OldGreyEagle

Dont see a reason for keeping this open, if you do, let me know.

Sarah Palin and Mr Obama can be discussed in the Politics Section, I think we are done with the originators thread