Maybe Mike Rowe is available, Dirty Jobs CANCELLED

Mike Rowe would be a great Chief Scout, or whatever job's he's given at Irving.

However, a few months back, in another thread, Calico made an interesting case for why Mike won't get the job--namely, bias because he's single, no kids, etc. Calico stated it more eloquently than that.

I think that bias could be overcome, but Calico makes a good point nonetheless

Though Mike would be great for the BSA, my personal take is he won't get hired. He's too outdoor-oriented, too fit, too popular, too outgoing, and a natural leader.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

Nah, the man is also too old. He's past 50 for cryin' out loud! Talk about reinforcing our image of bein' old fuddies with da youth!

Da folks who get excited about Mike Rowe are mostly old folks.

Yeh need to look more toward extreme sports figures in their late 20s and early 30s, like Bear Grylls was when he caught on and got adopted by the Brits.

Biggest challenge is likely to be that with da professionalization of many adventure sports we see specialization as well, eh? So a fellow who is a skier is just a skier; a fellow who is a surfer is just a surfer. It's hard to find a well-known and respected generalist outdoorsman anymore. Plus, most of 'em don't have the sort of personality and talent for media that Rowe or Grylls do.

So it would be a search. All good things are, eh? But we'd be best startin' da search with young people, rather than us old folks. ;)

Beavah

Eagle92, Wow, didn't know of his scouting background. Here's an ESPN interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_P1rcOAwEA

More active, VISIBLE, younger person (yeah even 50 is younger) in the position and less do-little, missing, good ole boy hanging on for retirement.

My $0.02, make that $0.01 for sugar-coating my $0.02

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Yah, for that matter, I recommend a bylaw change for da CSE position as well. At da time of hire, the CSE can be no older than 40 and must meet da BSA's height/weight restrictions at the "recommended" not "allowed" level. I was never more disappointed than when our current CSE got appointed to replace Mazzuca. A company man just aimin' to hang on to retirement if there ever was one.

Add in an additional provision that da CSE in order to be considered for da position must meet all da requirements for Eagle Scout at an adult level of understanding (T-2-1, required MBs including Personal Fitness, etc.) and in order to maintain his position must camp out at least 30 nights and complete da 50 miler award each year.

BSA Headquarters should have a rock climbing wall and a kayak roll pool and have kids visiting on a regular basis, with every employee required to take turns at leadin' / guidin' the boys who are visiting 1 day a month.

Beavah

Beavah;

Like most of your requirements, but would be a bit more realistic in the number of camping days, but no fewer than 15 certainly. Also would replace the 50 miler with a week as a provisional or actual leader at summer camp with an average size troop; or spend a week on staff in an actual hands on, face to face with scouts daily, camp position for either Cub camp (two sessions) or Boy Scouts. The camp would have to be different every year, and in a different region. Also would serve a "hands on" position at a Camporee or similar event each year, actually camping and running an event with scouts participating for at least half a day; or spend it with the unit leadership in which he participates.

But it would not just be the CSE; it would be all the National executives. Maybe National Council could actually sponsor directly units of each type, supporting them as a normal unit would, not with the National budget directly. And the membership would have to be along a mix similar to Brownsea.

Not smoking anything; just dreaming a bit along with the rest of you.

there is no one pc enough for Irving that scouts also would look up to. nationals view of scouting simply doesn't match with what an actual outdoorsman would want. all you really can expect from them is another corporate scouter gradually reducing any of the skills once taught.

Woapalanne beat me to it. I was in the audience and Mike was a huge hit at Jamboree. Unlike Mazucka who used an imposter to rappel onto the stage behind a panel where he popped out, Mike rode the bucket of a frontend loader to the edge of the stage and stepped off.

Age has nothing to do with connecting with youth and winning respect. If that were the case, Scouting would have died 100 years ago.