Left or right handed?

Ambidextrous until first grade, when Mrs Davis decided I should be a right-hander "for my own good".

Still catch myself from time to time trying to sign something with left hand......which makes my atrocious right-handed signature look good.

The ability to eat with both hands did come in handy when fighting off two older brothers, though........ :-)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dancinfox, In biology we often remind persons that your question occurs for many species. And that, in fact, paternity is always in doubt (until you do the DNA stuff).

I suggest:

Science. 1976 May 28;192(4242):908-10. Human handedness: a partial cross-fostering study. by Hicks and Kinsbourne.

This should work as a place to start your search for a scientific answer. There is much, much more.

It's easiest on a blackboard - when I was a kid, we had an actual wooden phone booth with a folding door and a seat in the house (my mother loved it, actual privacy for phone calls with no kids hanging on her arm - what is it about the phone anyhow that as soon as the mom makes a call, the kids appear out of nowhere needing things desperately and immediately??) and anyhow, the phone booth had a blackboard on the side for messages, which is where I learned the party trick. :)

You start with your hands together and write "forwards" with your right hand and "backwards" with your left hand, same words but mirror images. It's easier than it seems once you get the trick of it, but it amazes and mystifies people. Hadn't thought about that one in a while until this thread appeared!

Marietta

I am so left, I always come 'round right! ;)

Left-handedness doesn't run through my family - it gallops. All my children are truly ambidextrous. I blame my right-handed husband for mixing them up. :)

Seriously, I do almost everything left-handed. I did finally manage to learn to knit and crochet right-handed since it was easier than reversing the stitches my friend was showing me. (I am rather proud of this.)

Left Handed, except for baseball -- always batted right handed, and I have no idea why.

Anecdote: Once I started driving, I wondered what it would be like to drive a car set up for a left-handed person (basically, a domestic market Japanese or English car). When I finally drove one in Europe, it was horrible!

KS