FOS at Eagle Court of Honor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the SE's philosophy. Mine was you don't go to any unit events UNLESS

A) you are giving an FOS presetnation

B) Political reasons, i.e. Council VP's nephew's pack.

Idea behind that is that the DE doesn't have enough time to do everything, and you don't want to show favoritism.

Grant you DE's do not get a lot of free time, so I can see some of that. But Eagle is a big deal. But I went to few unit events. Didn't got to OA events b/c "you don't need to play Indian."

But other SEs have a different philosophy. And going to unit events are encouraged IF you got the time.

Trust me I had little time .

Just to make a point, I would compare having FOS presentations at a Blue and Gold Dinner or ECOH (if done tastefully) with soliciting people to buy Scout popcorn on the way into a grocery store.

That's "spam" too. Grocery stores permit it as a courtesy to a worthy cause, despite the fact that it may inconvenience or annoy some of their shoppers.

And being courteous, kind, helpful and friendly is not a one way street. An Eagle Scout ought to have an interest in the welfare of their Scout council too, although probably that is not something cultivated by Scout Troops outside of the Order of the Arrow.

As a matter of fact, I would respect an Eagle Scout who decided to do that FOS presentation himself at his own ECOH. An Eagle Scout should really recognize that it hasn't really been "all about him." The Eagle Scout has played a role in a program constructed on his behalf, which allowed him to excell.

An Eagle Scout who recognized that and wanted to encourage those attending his ECOH would be a pretty mature guy.

Nah..We go to the store knowing we are gonna be spending money..or giving it away - depending on what you think of prices.

Why not sell burial lots or life insurance at a funeral too? They are practically related!

I'd tell the DE that he can do his FOS at another meeting: The district or Council banquet! That is also a gathering of adults and families.

I would compare having FOS presentations at a Blue and Gold Dinner or ECOH (if done tastefully) with soliciting people to buy Scout popcorn on the way into a grocery store.

This is da argument that rude, invasive advertisers and spammers always try to make, eh?

But there's a difference. A grocery is a place of public accommodation. It's a commercial enterprise. When we head to a public place of commerce, we expect advertisements and commerce. And we are free to choose to engage with the popcorn sellers, or not to engage, at will. If we choose not to engage, it doesn't cost us anything in terms of time.

An award ceremony is a private ceremony. It's neither a public accommodation nor a commercial enterprise. The audience are invited guests, owed a duty of good hosting. They are not voluntary shoppers. At an award ceremony, the audience is not free to choose not to engage and go about their business, eh? They are captive. They are bound by da norms of courtesy as guests to offer their attention to their hosts.

So spamming them takes advantage of their courtesy and kindness, and by being discourteous in return it breaks down those social norms.

Yep, it would be discourteous even if da Eagle Scout did it, just as if he solicited for da CO or his favorite charity or money for college. All are worthy. That's not what the guests were invited for, and as hosts, we owe a duty of courtesy to our guests who are giving us their time and trusting us with it.

Has our modern world of intrusive advertising done so much to undermine our traditions of hospitality and courtesy?

I recently participated in a discussion of FOS presentations on another forum.

A poster on that forum described his troop's method of soliciting FOS donations. The committee members divide up the parents/historical donors list and make individual phone calls or personal appeals to the donors. This is similar to the way in which some community FOS campaigns are conducted. I thought it was brilliant. BUT he has a 75 year old troop at a well established (some say legendary) church, with lots of support.

Now - take your typical Cub Scout pack or Boy Scout troop, which barely has enough committee members to go around. If you offer them the choice of how to conduct their FOS campaign, what would it be? Working the donors individually? Or a group presentation?

Our council doesn't require that FOS presentations be at Blue & Golds or Courts of Honor. But the *unit leaders* schedule them that way. They are asked to schedule a date at which a presentation can be made. They are incentivized by the council's reward scheme to choose a date at which many potential donors will be present. (100% participation incentive; meeting the goal incentive; and meeting the stretch goal incentive. Two of three are financially advantageous to the unit).

They choose how to conduct their unit FOS. Most of them choose to use these opportunities.

B&G as a birthday celebration is not such a horrible plavce for a FOS presentation.

Assuming it's not turned into a "mmet all rank by date" and all awards are held til then.

If it's just what it really is- which is BSA birthday celebration..then by all means have a FOS presentation. Actually, that is a great time to tie it all in .

But anu ECOH or COH is indeed all about the boy. It is a ceremony to recognize and show respect for what he has earned and acoomplished.

I'd no sooner have a FOS at any kind of ECOH or COH than I would have a school booster drive at a high school graduation!

OK, we get it. FOS at an ECOH is deemed "untasteful" by the majority of respondants.

So, when is a 'good' time for an FOS presentation?

If I were to suggest inviting all the parents/grandparents/etc to a special "FOS" meeting during a unit meeting, I would probably get a low turnout.

If I were to suggest inviting all the parents/etc to a special "coffee night" during a unit meeting, and NOT TELL THEM it was for FOS, I would be accused of ambushing the parents.

If I were to suggest not specially-inviting people, and just take 15 minutes of a normal weekly or monthly unit meeting, I would be accused of "stealing time away from the youth."

So... I ask you... maybe with a slight tounge-n-cheek, when is there a "good" time to do an FOS presentation?

So often on these boards people are so passionate about an issue that a workable solution is never presented, only continual complaint.

if you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

We have an event every year sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is sort of a combination regular COH, Annual Meeting, Holiday dinner. The COH comes first. After the SPL concludes that, it dove-tails into a business meeting of sorts. SM, CC, often the UC, and COR usually talk about the overall troop business of the past year and vision and plans for the future. Summer camp and possibly a High Adven. trip are promoted, news of council and district activities etc... It is during this time (business meeting portion NOT COH) that our COR makes a brief pitch for FOS. Then we break for a good time of feast and fellowship. The COR mingles during the fellowship time and gets an FOS brochure into the hands of adults. This is a unified event for Pack and Troop along with guests (ie extended family, troop alum etc).

shortridge... clearly there are Troops that do not want an FOS presentation at an ECOH. So be it.

For me, an FOS presentation at an event the Troop feels comfortable about isn't a problem if Troop families have the disposable income to support FOS as well as Troop activities and everything else.

If on the other hand, as in out Troop, the there are an abundance of families that can barely pay registration fees, dues, and camping food costs, let alone summer camp... then FOS is never appropriate. How could it be?

Context is everything.