Intel (largest BSA corp donor) ends donations

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sentinel947 writes:

Merlyn: Just because you are insulted, doesn't make you right.

I didn't say being insulted made me right.

Peregrinator writes:

Peregrinator, you don't get to decide if I've been insulted; I do.

You may be offended but it does not follow that you were insulted.

Like I said, you don't get to decide if I've been insulted; I do.

I find it interesting that that was the one part of my post to which you responded. That suggests to me that you're not interested in scouting or working with youth.

Well, for your information, for the last few months I have been working with about 2 dozen people, most in early 20s but a few under 18 (including one lesbian), about 1/3 of whom have various mental disorders (autism/aspergers/retrograde amnesia/bipolar+OCD/ADHD/IED/chronic depression/etc) on a visual novel about students with mental disorders, but since it also includes hardcore cartoon sex, I didn't think you'd be interested.

Like I said, you don't get to decide if I've been insulted; I do.

You should not be surprised that people challenge you when your words don't conform to reality.

But it's not a shock that the person who is most comfortable with insulting others in this forum would himself feel insulted.

Whether or not one feels insulted is a matter of subjectivity. But whether or not one actually is insulted is an objective matter. Did AZMike call you names or belittle your intelligence?

Quit whining.

As I'm not whining, I find it difficult to quit. Interestingly enough, in working with children (including my own) I've found that a common source of whining is the claim that their feelings are hurt.

First - stop making it personal by attacking Merlyn - he's usually more right than wrong and just because he doesn't agree with what you think the world should be like, doesn't mean he's wrong about what the world really is like. If Merlyn feels he's been insulted, he's been insulted. The personal attacks against Merlyn just drag the threads to places that they don't need to go.

Second, AZMike - you missed the point - it doesn't matter who ANERA is working with - what is comparable is to the BSA's relationship with Intel is the relationship between Intel and ANERA - as long as ANERA is following Intel's policy, they can get a grant. The rest isn't comparable at all.

Third - not going to buy from Intel? Well, most of us will never buy directly from Intel - and Intel is the largest semi-conductor company in the world - you have a better than 50/50 chance that any piece of electronic equipment you buy, from PCs and Mac, to I-pads and I-phones, to Smart Phones, to Flat Screen TVs to Car Radios, to your toaster, will have an Intel semiconductor ship inside - and the equipment may even have a mix of Intel and other companies chips inside, so good luck not buying indirectly from Intel.

Attacking someone's beliefs, views, etc., isn't personal. Do people take Merlyn's attacks on the BSA personally? One should be able to distinguish between when one is being attacked personally (to use an example of Merlyn's: calling someone a "moron") and when one's views or what one says are being attacked. If Merlyn can't -- or won't -- make this distinction, it's no wonder he feels insulted.

The personal attacks against Merlyn just drag the threads to places that they don't need to go.

Would you agree that Merlyn should also quit making personal attacks?

Peregrinator, AZ's original statement of "Merlyn is of course welcome to send Lowe's a nasty letter for not supporting his gay hobby-horse d'jour, and demanding that they cease and desist" suggests that I would "demand that they cease and desist" doing something that's perfectly legal. Now, you might not consider that an insult but I do.

Since we have apparently decided that being insulted is in the eye of the allegedly insulted, I have to say that I find Merlyn's implication that I have insulted him is itself insulting to me. And as CalicoPenn has said, if I feel I've been insulted, then I've been insulted! :)

Hey guess what.....

we are backpacking the shelowee trace this weekend.....With donated backpacks, plastic tarps for tents....

No big corporate donors, no shiney new scout offices, no run down scout camps,

My boys, my new ASM and I in the woods for three days....

Intels disappearing donation isn't my problem....It is the scout pros who need to pay their salary.....

So how many hundreds of millions has Bechtel cost???? Is that money well spent?????

high adventure is cool.....I wonder about the return on the donated dollars invested?????

Fund our Salaries.....