Pack 79 Policy of Acceptance

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately it will come down to a question of who are the BSA's customers? Who are they there to serve? The approach they take is that the customers are the chartered organizations. That is all well and good but I would posit that the customers are actually the scouts and their parents. You may have a thousand or ten thousand chartering organizations but if boys stop joining the scouts then what have you got?

I will be watching this with interest.....

So is national going to bring the hammer down on the council??

Is the council going to bring the hammer down on the unit or just the leadership????

So what happens if national sends the council a letter saying follow the policies and they ignore it?????

Or can national just eject the entire unit on their own????

Of course National can do nothing.....But that means that entire statement a month ago is nothing but bluster......A toothless, clawless old lion......Lots of roar but nothing to be afraid of.

I bet the do nothing....

Well, it seems that right now its only local type news and people in boy scouts taking an interest in this pack and its policy.

can you imagine if they did pull the charter, those poor kicked out scouts front and center on CNN with that sort of story.

I suspect we'll see the same statement from National that we always get - the "our policy is the policy but we don't enforce it unless there is a complaint and a unit/council saying they have a diffent policy buy it doesn't really conflict with out policy blah blah blah" speech and National will consider it closed unless there is a complaint that the unit actually has an "avowed" gay leader. I suspect the Council, after some gnashing of teeth in the lower echelons, will just ignore it altogether unless there is a complaint and even then, might not do more than a cursory investigation and then let it drop.

Apparently, this has been in the works for about a month. The Cubmaster is spearheading this effort. The CO/COR, oddly enough is not mentioned anywhere on the pack website, but the CO is the Clifton Lutheran Church, who is backing the CM.

Interesting progression of events:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82684

This is my Council, though not my district. I know of some folks at the council level who will go no less than ballistic over this, although I don't know how or if the SE or DE will react. It will be interesting to see what develops.

(This message has been edited by FrankScout)(This message has been edited by FrankScout)

There would probably be more respect for The Rules if they were democratically decided rather than being imposed from afar by a group of people that no one knows the identity of.

It is amusing to see our little organization which is dedicated to creating good American citizens fail miserably at using democratic participation, our single-most dearly held tradition, to make decisions.

Leadership lesson: You can never expect people to follow you unless you're already doing what they wanted to do anyway.

When you make stupid rules banning little red wagons, the rest of your rules lose their ambiance of utility.(This message has been edited by bsa24)

There would probably be more respect for The Rules if they were democratically decided rather than being imposed from afar by a group of people that no one knows the identity of.

Why would one think that? If the rules are decided democratically then they are subject to change at the whim of the mob. Why would anyone follow such a rule?

"Leadership lesson: You can never expect people to follow you unless you're already doing what they wanted to do anyway."

BSA24 - despite the apparent cynicism, or maybe because of it, this might just be one of the best sentences on leadership I've ever read!

It is amusing to see our little organization which is dedicated to creating good American citizens fail miserably at using democratic participation, our single-most dearly held tradition, to make decisions.

Democracy in the modern sense is a pretty recent innovation, even in the United States.