Future BSA President Intent to Eliminate the Ban on Gays

WasE62; Don't hold your breath about wearing the shirt if this policy changes as one of the comments by taunters in school is how XXXX the Scouts are, or other ignorant comments. They will not go away, as this is mostly an adult issue unless you bring it up to the actual scouts.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure don't expect to see someone chosen to head Planned Parenthood propose to eliminate abortions, or the head of the ACLU propose to quit filing lawsuits against organizations putting Christmas displays on public property.

It doesn't surprise me that there are different opinions on important policy questions reflected in the top leadership positions of Scouting however.

It's what I would expect.

Part of Planned Parenthood's mission, as I understand it, is to provide affordable health care, especially on reproductive issues. Part of the ACLU's mission is to defend the rights of the minority.

By that line of thinking, SP, the BSA's ban on gays rests on the fact that anti-homosexuality is a core part of Scouting's mission. Can you show me where in the Handbook or any other program publication that is written?

That's what I was wondering Shortridge. There is now alot of new on this policy, but this is not part of our mission statement. In fact it is hard to find the written policy about homosexuals any where. BSA's mission is not to teach young people anything about sexuality at all, either heterosexual or homosexual.

But, then SP's comment was a little bit confusing. Comparing the future President of BSA opinion to be against the main mission of scouting.. But then in the next line stating he is not surprised that top leaders in BSA would have differing opinions.. Sounds like he just debated himself out of his own arguement.

Nah.. There is hope for you if your young enough, otherwise it is just waiting for the future generation to out live us. Then their children will even be better.. You know true evolution.

Even with our attitude and treatment of blacks by whites (as well as whites by blacks), we may be better then in the 1950's. But, we aren't there yet.. We still have a long way to go.

VP Candidate Paul Ryan was an actual Boy Scout, in addition to being a conservative Catholic. It will be interesting to see what he says.

http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/Congress.aspx

From what I can find on the net (and we know how accurate that is), Obama was never a member of the BSA, but was a Boy Scout in Djakarta. (BSD?) I'm not sure about Biden, but it would be likely given the time and place he grew up in.

Despite Obama making a statement in support of allowing openly homosexual men and boys in the BSA, it apparently isn't enough for some gay activists, who want to go further:

If President Obama feels so strongly that the Boy Scouts should drop their ban on gays joining the organization, then he should quit as honorary head of the historic group, a prominent gay activist is urging.

Steve Siebold, a blogger, activist, and book author, said it is hypocritical for the president to support having gays in the Boy Scouts and to still act as honorary president, a role started back in Teddy Roosevelt's administration.

Siebold, author of Sex, Politics and Religion: How Delusional Thinking is Destroying America, said that Obama's "two-facedness" on the issue is hurting the drive for gay marriage, which Obama has endorsed, and the fight against discrimination.

"Obama is playing the middle on this one and engaging in two-facedness behavior, and you can bet that Mitt Romney is going to use it as ammunition," he said. "Obama has already said he supports gay marriage, but it's time he backs those words up with action so they're just not words."

He noted that some former Eagle Scouts are sending their medals back to the Boy Scouts as a protest, but the president isn't doing more than talking. "It's hypocrisy and sending the wrong message. If the president wants to make a statement, he should not only talk the talk, but walk it, too. He should resign as honorary president of the Boy Scouts organization immediately, which would really make an impact that it's time we treat gays as equals."

What irks him most is Obama's reference in his statement on the Boy Scout policy that touches on discrimination. The White House statement said: "The president believes the Boy Scouts is a valuable organization that has helped educate and build character in American boys for more than a century." It added, "He also opposes discrimination in all forms, and as such opposes this policy that discriminates on basis of sexual orientation."

Siebold told Secrets that as a black president, discrimination has a larger meaning for Obama. "This is discrimination too. It's the same thing," he said of the Boy Scouts policy.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-urged-to-quit-as-honorary-boy-scout-prez/article/2504478#.UCbFc47iZMI

Should he have the courage of his convictions and do so, or is it too risky to do so before an election?(This message has been edited by AZMike)

VP Candidate Paul Ryan was an actual Boy Scout,

http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSheets/Congress.aspx

Not disagreeing, but has anyone found info on Congressman Ryan's scouting background? I only found mention of YMCA summer camp.

Along with about 200 other congressmen, he cosponsorrd Peter Session's House Resolution 716 - the designation of a National Eagle Scout Day Aug 1,2012 to commemorate the contributions made by Eagle Scouts of the Boy Scouts of America. As I understand, it got stuck House in Committee on Oversight and Government Reform as Aug 1,2012 slipped by. :(