So do the AHG allow Gay and Lesbian Leaders and youth???

As the title states.

Does anyone know???

Used the search function on their website it returned nothing.

So does that mean don't ask don't tell????

How about background checks on leaders???? do they do those????(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

In order to be a leader in AHG, you must affirm the AHG Statement of Faith (http://www.ahgonline.org/uploads/FAQCharterRep.pdf)

The AHG Statement of Faith includes the line "We believe that each individual is called to live a life of purity, service, stewardship and integrity." (See http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19322)

And under that, they specify what purity means:Clarity is further provided to the following terms:

Purity An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness, being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage; marriage being a lifelong commitment before God between a man and a woman. So, from that, I would deduce that they would not allow sexually active gays and lesbians to be leaders, but they might allow it if you were celibate.

Also, I would presume that they would allow that everyone has sinned in the past, and the main thing is whether you are willing to affirm the statement of faith currently.

Girls (youth members) do have to agree to live by the AHG Creed (their version of the Scout Law). It includes the word "Pure". I do not think they would be in a hurry to boot out any girls, just as the BSA isn't.

But the short answer would appear to be, no, they don't allow gay and lesbian leaders or youth.

So AHG does not do background checks.

Partly this depends on whether you think that "AHG" is only the corporate office, or includes the troops. The background checks are instigated by a registered leader in AHG.

It also depends on what you mean by "do". I'm sure the BSA does not "do" their own background checks, but hires someone to do them for them. In AHG, the central office tells the troops to do the checks. Seems like roughly the same thing. I prefer the BSA model, but I don't think it's fair to say that AHG does not do background checks.

Seattle's Catholic Committee on Scouting lists a woman volunteer who is an AHG representative on the committee.

I called her this morning to get some ideas on how the AHG committee member functioned on the CCS committee and ran my ideas of using my Cub pack to help get an AHG unit started for girls.

She called me back about an hour later and we had a good discussion about Catholic Scouting, AHG and Girl Scouts,

She also mentioned that AHG did the same background check as BSA.

She was a commendably sharp person, and offered to attend a meeting when I get around to proposing a girl Scouting program to the Institutional Head of our Cub Scout program.

There are several AHG units in western Washington listed on the AHG website. Most of them are chartered to Catholic churches.

So seattle all rhetoric a side your good with the gay ban in both the BSA and AHG?

The flaw in your recruiting latino families is cost....There is no way they can afford 4 kids in scouting programs....I believe reallocating Pack resources and gear to the AHG is bad policy....

So how much is adding the AHG going to add to the cost of your Packs program.

> An AHG member is called to live a life of holiness,

> being pure of heart, mind, word and deed, reserving

> sexual activity for the sanctity of marriage;

> marriage being a lifelong commitment before God

> between a man and a woman.

So then no one is allowed to be a member?

So then no one is allowed to be a member?

:)

Yah, that was my reaction as well. I've never been too good at da purity of mind thing. Mostly Mrs. Beavah makes sure about my relative purity of deeds (she can shoot at least as well as I can;)).

Beavah

>

We shall see. I will be making a major effort at Latino recruiting beginning next month.

That will include a bilingual woman who is also interested in recruiting more Latinos and is well plugged into the community. I'm expecting she will be the "Den Mother" for Latino parents, especially those who are primarily Spanish speaking. I'm expecting that she will be a main channel of communication to keep those new Latino families informed about what is going on.

I have bilingual flyers being made up and have Spanish den handbooks that will be available for sale.

Pack dues through December are $20, and we encourage new families to sell popcorn right away to pay for pack dues, expenses, uniforms and such from Scout accounts.

My hope is that this will pay off with new Latino families that will not just join but stay in the program. And I will be using the experience I gain to try to improve my practices for recruiting next spring.

Many schools around here are 60% Latino and 10% white. We need to be on the right end of the numbers game.

When I figure out effective methods that make Cub Scouts work for Latino families, I will then be spreading those methods to the other Cub Packs in my district --- and perhaps beyond that to the council.

The short answer is.... we shall see.

So AZ what does YIKES mean???

Round my parts they don't have any money and the only way to get them to activities is to have a reduced family rate, we have one family with 4 boys and 2 girls and another with 2 boys and 2 girls.....If all of them go to day camp one family would be on the hook for $500......

So we got the CO to help subside the families....

It just might move it out of their budgetary range.