Using SCOUTER.COM for a systematic political agenda

hey Barry, you might want to read what I actually wrote before deciding what I "conclude wrongly." I even put the winky-smiley-thingy in there to indicate that I was speaking tongue in cheek! Whaddayawant from me?

Anyway - Happy New Year, everybody!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

packsaddle

I was going to PM you about Dave, but thought that there are a few others who might like an update.

I don't have a face book account or whatever it's called.

One reason being I don't want inmates, friends of inmates or ex-inmates tracking me down.

But HWMBO does belong.

Just before the holiday Dave tracked her down and invited her or asked her to be a friend.

Seems he is still working away on the great American Novel, living in Michigan and working in the food /beverage industry.

I haven't emailed him for a while.

Bob White still visits the forum from time to time.

As for the topic at hand.

I think that I don't hide the fact that I'm very much left of center.

I didn't like and had very little time for George W. Bush.

I have even less time and dislike the Tea Party a lot more than I ever disliked poor old George W.

I grew up with a Mother who was till she died a true blue Conservative Party member. Who thought Maggie could walk on water and do no wrong.

My Father was a member of the Labour Party and never had a kind word to say about the Iron Maiden, given half a chance I think he would have loved to see the rust set in.

While I think that I'm as far left now as I have ever been?

I do find that as I get older I'm becoming more tolerant of others and maybe more interested in what they have to say. - So long as they are saying what they really believe, not just spouting a rehash of something that they heard on Fox.

Where as I used to see things in just black and white, I'm now better at seeing some shades of gray.

It's OK if you don't agree with me.

The forum would be a very boring place and we'd all soon lose interest if all we did was post how we always agreed with each other.

In my book it's also OK to get a little annoyed at times.

Still this being a place where we often have younger people looking in, there is a need for us to tone it down a bit and maybe just because many if not most of us, are Scouts a need for us to show the respect for others that is the base for a good part of the Scout Law and Oath.

Ea.

PS NJCubScouter of course you were missed! I thought that you might be hiding behind that little chap you have as Governor.

• 1 month later...

I do have passionate beliefs and tend to be blunt. But I dont think I ever had any real bitterness for anyone on this forum. Although I cannot say it never came across that way. Its hard to account for several years of posting so Im not going to pretend that I am guiltless. All that said; I envision most of you to be hard working individuals who love their families no different from me. I wish you all knew God. But Im not here to start another debate. Just dropping in to read a few posts

Yeah, every time I bend over to take off or put on my socks and my arthritic hips make it a struggle I can't believe I'm quickly leaving the ranks of "middle aged" and slipping into "elderly." I think half of my junk mail is AARP these days. :)

fred8033 writes:

I know plenty of atheists and gay scouters inside scouting who focus on program and not on the politics. I also know plenty of people who choose not to be in scouting because of the politics. It's the ones who choose not to be involved and then daily throw gernades at those trying to do something good that's hurtful.

You realize the atheists don't meet the BSA's membership requirements, and have to lie to be members, don't you?

I prefer honesty.

sherminator505 writes:

At the risk of making this an "all about Merlyn" thread, I'd respect him more if he had something constructive to offer.

I and a number of other people on various sides of the issue have advocated a local option, where the chartering organization decides whether to exclude atheists and/or gays.

Merlyn, Mother Theresa doubted God at times, yet she remained a nun. Becoming a member of the BSA while not believing in God is no worse.

I understand if you do not want to support such and organization but sometimes one has to weight the "good" and "bad" and make a judgment call.