Merlyn, what exactly is this libel considering you don't think there is anything wrong with being homosexual? Can it be actionable to be accused of something that one doesn't think is defamatory?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case, I think Merlyn is correct, its the perception that counts in most circumstances. How many different stories do we see covered dfference way by the media according to the media bias. (Feel free to insert best example to your way of thinking here.

By American standards George Washington has the reputation of the Father of Our Country, one that I agree with. According to the Court of George III, George Washington was a murderous traitorous rogue for whom hanging by the neck til dead would have been too good

John Elway in Denver is the most skilled Quarterback who ever lived, in Cleveland, victims of "the drive" and "The fumble" John Elway is luckiest man ever

You have to admit it sounds a little funny:

Merlyn's running through the streets yelling, "There's nothing wrong with being gay, there's nothing wrong with being gay! But if you accuse anybody of being gay that's libelous!"

well, this is just about the most disturbing thread I've ever read around here. : |

Way too much judgement about a scout that, like him or not, has earned his eagle... IMO, end of subject. I don't see how it is any business whatsoever, for adults in leadership positions to be looking at or hearing about what any minor child, (and yes, a 16 year old is a minor) has on his facebook. I don't care if he has made all his posts public, private, or otherwise... this does not fall under the domain of scouting leadership. Kids are naive and post way too much information for anyone and everyone to read, but that does not justify us as adults to be privy to that information. We should know better than to open that pandora's box or hear about its contents. The newspaper article was just fodder for others to talk about and speculate. I don't see that as a big deal at all.

I long for the day that BSA joins the 21st century, and the determination and consequences of one's sexual orientation is no longer a point of discussion.