If Texas secedes .....?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas has plenty of company:

(There is) "a Georgia state Senate resolution that appears aimed at opening the door for secession.

This seems to be a bit of a trend: Oklahoma's Legislature this week overrode Gov. Brad Henry's veto to pass a "sovereignty" resolution, and similar moves are afoot in Georgia and South Carolina.

The Tenth Amendment Center (tagline: "the powers not delegated ..."), which supports and tracks these move, lists bills introduced in 35 states, most a bit less blunt about dissolving the union than Georgia's. They've passed at least one body of the legislature, according to that list, in 10 states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Georgia, Indiana, Idaho, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana (where it eventually failed) and Alaska, where Gov. Sarah Palin will decide whether to sign."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0509/Red_states_seek_sovreignty.html

Yup. And Georgia's suit seems to be about 2nd amendment infringements.

Other than seccession, what other forms of leverage do the states have to force adherance to the 10th Amendment? Withhold tax payments?

Secession? States actually threatening secession so the Ohio National Guard can square off against the Michigan National Guard? Is this the third world cartoon our politicians have degenerated to? Is it more important to pander to emotions than to get work done?

What a bunch of files of the commercial grade of coarseness between coarse and second-cut

In the last sentence of Democracy in America (1807 or thereabouts), Alexis de Tocqueville wrote about the fate of Americans and all others who would choose the path of equality. "It depends on themselves whether equality is to lead to servitude or freedom, knowledge or barbarism, prosperity or wretchedness."

Personally, I think we've been making some hugely bad choices for quite awhile now. This movement is among them.

Vicki

Yah, there is somethin' to be said for Scouter.Com, eh? Da issues forums keeps me in touch with what's goin' on among da nut cases.

State legislatures votin' sovereignty resolutions and talkin' about secession?

Hysterical.

I love it comin' out of places like Alaska which have been livin' off da federal dole to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars for years. I feel like a parent. "Yah, junior, you can be independent when yeh show you can actually support yourself."

Addin' Georgia to the mix is even better, eh? I think they have one of da highest school dropout rates in the U.S. Hope all those uneducated folks and dimwitted legislators can support 'em when they become independent. My guess is that they end up with roughly the economic clout of Paraguay.

Does show how the polarization of politics leads to da multiplication of fools. We need a majority Moderate party of loyal, patriotic Americans.

Beavah

Does show how the polarization of politics leads to da multiplication of fools. We need a majority Moderate party of loyal, patriotic Americans.

Thanks for this, Beavah. The first sentence gave me a good laugh. Regarding the second sentence, apparently we call those Democrats - just ask Arlen Specter! (Another win for the home team!)