I got this in an email. I don't usually do anything with forwards, but delete them. This one I highly agree with.

Story in Tampa Newspaper

WILL we still be the Country of choice and still be America IF we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????

Think about it .

All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings........ It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I AM now being Offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.

This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an

American citizen, published in a

Tampa newspaper He did quite a job--didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS,

NOT AMERICANS,

MUST ADAPT.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we

are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,

we have experienced a surge

in patriotism by the majority

of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had

barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about

the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America . Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there

are a few things that those

who have recently come to

our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a

multi cultural community

has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we

have our own culture, our

own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH , not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.

Therefore, if you wish to become part

of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women,

on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.

It is certainly appropriate to display it

on the walls of our schools. If God

offends you, then I suggest you

consider another part of the world as

your new home, because God is part

of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or

you don't like Uncle Sam, then you

should seriously consider a move

to another part of this planet. We

are happy with our culture and have

no desire to change, and we really

don't care how you did things where

you came from. This is

OUR COUNTRY,

our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the

right to express his opinion and we

will allow you every opportunity to do

so But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,

our pledge, our national motto, or our

way of life, I highly encourage you

take advantage of one other great American freedom,

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

AND TAKE THE A.C.L.U . With You

It is Time for America to Speak up

If you agree -- pass this along;

if you don't agree -- delete it!

AMEN

I figure if we all keep passing this to our friends

(and enemies) it will also, sooner or later

get back to the complainers, lets all try,

please.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...we can no longer say Merry Christmas". Who made that rule? Where I live, people say 'Merry Christmas' with no problem at all. Other people say, 'Happy Holidays'. Others say, 'Joyous Yule'. We seem to get along fine.

Heck, I'm too weary from camping with the troop all weekend to reply to all the rest of the drivel. Maybe someone else will. Maybe, as CAScouter suggested, such non-Scouting political diatribes can be posted to non-Scouting forums in the future.

Well I read the article and can't figure out what it's about.

It goes from expressions of patriotism to immigration to an issue about "In God We Trust" on our money to respect for the flag to the ACLU.

I have never heard anyone complain about expressions of US patriotism. I know some folks from other countries that are somewhat suprised at our level of national pride, because it's not as openly expressed in their home country, but have never heard them complain about ours. I live in "liberal" Massachusetts. Like we're somehow worse than other liberals. But after 9/11 the flag hung from just about every house on our street, and every highway. Many are still there everyday. I see flags and signs welcoming service men and women home nearly every day. No one is complaining about expressions of patriotism here. Unless you talk about the Patriots which gets everyone in Pittsburgh really upset for some reason.

I only know of a very small minority that has an issue with the phrase,"In God We Trust" and they seem far more concerned about government intrusion on the rights of individual religious freedom than the phrase on our money.

I always say Merry Christmas to fellow Christians, and Happy Hanukah to Jewish friends. If I don't know their faith I say Happy Holidays, or enjoy the Holiday. No one has ever complained to me about the use of such a phrase. I don't know of any law that says a person can't wish another person a Merry Christmas. I do, frequently at that time of year.

I know of more Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, Russian, and other immigrants that can speak English than Americans that can speak any other language. I live and work in a part of the country where we have a fair number of immigrants and know and work with quite a few. I have never heard any of them complain about having to learn English to get by in the US. I have travelled overseas more than a few times and have heard Americans get quite frustrated when folks in another country don't understand English. Now some immigrants still speak with an accent and I've observed some Americans get very frustrated trying to converse with them. Like folks should learn how to speak proper American English, whatever that is. I also know northern Americans that seem to think people that speak with a Southern drawl or Western twang are somehow less intelligent and think those folks should learn proper English, whatever that is.

As far as the US flag goes I don't agree with those that do not wish to show it respect. If they are an American I don't know why they wouldn't. There is much to be proud of. As an American I also know they have a right to express their opinion and to deny them that right would be unamerican.

Like I said, I read it and just don't get where they guy's comming from. He's complaining about a bunch of stuff I don't encounter on a day to day basis. Is my experience so different from everyone else's?

How many atheist, flag burning, non-english speaking, unpatriotic immigrants do you folks run into?

SA

Hunt: The first point of the scout law is "Duty to God and . . . ." Which??? Of course our country's history is shot full of wrongs that this country has done to others and to ourselves. Name one country's history that isn't. Try Canada. Ask the Cajuns about how they were treated by the new landlords.

And whenen the Canadian nationalized medicine budget dries up, your dog can gat a hip replacement but you can't. Need I go on?

"When in Rome, do like the Romans do." must not apply here, huh?

If you don't like it here, try it anywhere else. Pick your country. You will be back in a hurry, no bet.

I may not agree with your ideas or your presenting them here or in any other forum, but I will defend to the death your right to express them. I expect the same of you. And if you don't feel the same way, there are flights leaving daily.

I'm bingo on fuel. Returning to base . . . for more Napalm.

Wow. I don't know what to say.

I used to celebrate "Sun" day and then the Christians made me co-opt to celebrate the Sabbath! (Sun-day!) What was a happy Pagan holiday was taken over by those immigrant Christians who invaded my country in 1492! The Roman Catholic church decided to try to redeem a Roman pagan winter solstice festival: the festival of Saturnalia. This December holiday was considered the "birthday of the unconquered sun." Romans danced in the streets with gifts under their arms and greenery atop their heads.

Now, that is all lost and everyone celebrates Christsmas (Christ-mass) instead. I wish these interlopers would quit forcing these things on me!

Wow, some of you guys just buy into this stuff!

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I've said this before and I'll repeat it again:

ALL MEDIA IS ENTERTAINMENT.

These kind of articles are there precisely to provoke a reaction, a discussion, an argument, a fight - take your choice. The more extreme the better!

Somewhere this guy is sitting back in his chair with his feet on his desk laughing his head off.

btw - I find the reference to napalm quite distasteful. The post should be removed as it is not up to the standards of good taste for these forums.

Hey Acco40, Lost? I don't think so. Maybe Saturnalia isn't known by the majority but some of us take every opportunity we can to celebrate something. And Saturnalia is only ONE of the many reasons to celebrate around the time of the winter solstice. Heck, every time our DE bends over, I'm even ready to salute America's growing crack problem. ;) Oops, wrong thread.

scoutingagain, I'm not sure why he wrote it but it is little more than raving and ranting and you're right, not much in the way of sense.

Anyway, I agree with Hunt. Ditto. Sorry NJ.

Greying Beaver,

Greying Beaver,

Your count stands at 118 but unless I've missed something you've only written 59 times. Any ideas on how to fix those double posts? :)

Edited part: By-the-way, the first point of the scout law is Trustworthy, NOT Duty to God. Sorry about those scorch marks.

CA_scouter, you're probably right.

(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

I understand the frustration expressed by the author, hops_scout, and others. Those who would like to see hops_scouts original post moved somewhere else (because its not related to Scouting), dont get it. If they did get it, theyd understand that it is Scout related very much so.

I am Chezc and German on my fathers side, and Hungarian on my mothers. It has never bothered me that this country was founded by the English. Nor do I get rattled when its pointed out that Columbus, an Italian, discovered America. I wasn't even slighted when I discovered that our country was named after an Italian. I am intrigued by our countrys history. And although I do not have an English heritage, I am proud of the founding fathers George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, and the like. Too many today, not only want to deny our heritage, they spend their time finding ways to insult it. Post Civil War America has gradually brought about changes, which has since allowed others to participate in a more meaningful way. And of course, its great that we can now point to the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Eleanor Roosevelt, Harriet Tubman, George Washington Carver, Susan B. Anthony, and many new faces which are molding our countrys future. I have no problem with this kind of diversity. However, when in the name of diversity we must deny the significance of others, or worse denigrate their accomplishments by pointing to their failings (real and contrived), I take exception.

The religious aspect of this controversy is a big ugly ball of string, which I dont have the energy to untangle. Still, I agree with the author theres way too much time being spent apologizing for a past that needs no apology, and accommodating those who want to erase our history in the name of diversity. Undeniably, Christians and their faith have deep roots in America. Many of our strongest traditions stem from this history. Some folks would like to revise the record to belittle their significance. Others simply deny the facts all together. Still others prefer to slur the past contributions of Christians by highlighting the misdeeds of a few. Its difficult not to be angered by these narrow-minded and hateful people. Irony of all ironies, they defame and/or deny the influence of Christians in the name of diversity. The worst of the bunch are self-proclaimed Christians who malign the faith of other Christians as if its their God given right. They seem to believe because they claim the faith, they are enlightened and empowered to carelessly profane those who do the same.

So along with the Amens, Id like to add God Bless America and Merry Christmas. If those words bother you, perhaps the next time you want to call someone out as being intolerant or bigoted, you should look in the mirror.

Note if this article was so baseless, it would not solicit the reaction that it does. There is truth in the authors words which strikes a chord in many, if not most, Americans.

btw - I find the reference to napalm quite distasteful. The post should be removed as it is not up to the standards of good taste for these forums.

Give me a break. If that offends, how do you even manage to navigate through the Internet for more than five minutes?(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

"Still others prefer to slur the past contributions of Christians by highlighting the misdeeds of a few. Its difficult not to be angered by these narrow-minded and hateful people. Irony of all ironies, they defame and/or deny the influence of Christians in the name of diversity. The worst of the bunch are self-proclaimed Christians who malign the faith of other Christians as if its their God given right. They seemed to believe because they claim the faith, they are enlightened and empowered to carelessly profane those who do the same."

Who are these people? I think the original article and some of the responses are wrestling with a phantom. Granted, there may be some people around who hold whatever view one wants to describe, but I can't see that they have much influence in this America. Of course, the article also attacks immigrants, the ACLU, and non-Christians, but it's hardly fair to say that all those people don't like Uncle Sam, the flag, or the pledge, or the national motto.

Finally, to me, the original article reads like the immature, petulant cry of a person who knows that his views are wrong-headed, but lays them out there anyway, and substitutes insults for (non-existent) arguments. And HE has the nerve to talk about whiners!

They probably like "Uncle Sam, the flag, or the pledge, or the national motto" just fine...But they don't want to say anything positive about the Christian and/or European roots of our country. Nor do they want to recognize the positive influences in this nation created by those who embrace God, and most in particularly Christians.