Well, Rooster, I will say this about Mark Twain. I cannot vouch for, or agree with, every single thing he said. (One that Sturgen did not quote, I find hits particularly close to home: "God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board.") But I will admit that I find his general outlook on life, including his view of religion in general, to be more realistic than yours. He bases his opinions not just what it says in a book, but in how people have used the book, and how some people have misused the belief of others in the book for their own ends.

Where are all these witches, by the way? Somehow I have managed to live 46 years without noticing any actual witches. Or are you talking about "Wiccans" or "neo-Pagans"? There certainly are a lot of those on the Internet; some of them call themselves "witches" and some don't. Is that who you're talking about?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jabeezees Batman, I was just being cynical and this turned into a huge list, I was simply trying to mimic wheeler, the point was lost I guess, time for me to go off and cry myself to sleep. For any of you interested on a comprehensive view of the almighty Sam Clemens in regards of religion check out The Bible According to Mark Twain edited by Baetzhold and McCullough. I have just started reading it but so far it is wonderful.

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

- H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here; this is a war room.!"

- George C. Scott in Dr. Strangelove

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

- Galileo Galilei

(For George Bush and certain individuals in Texas)

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

(For some posters on this forum)

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

(For Rooster)

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.

- Lenny Bruce

(For Fat Old Guy)

"Facts are the enemy of truth."

- Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"

(For Adrianvs)

"You can only find truth with logic if you have already found truth without it."

- Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936)

(for NJ)

"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means."

- Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925.

and finally a few for me:

"Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

"A witty saying proves nothing."

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

(For Acco & NJ)

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

God didnt create us to be His audience.

Rooster7 (1959 xxxx)

God is a doctor whose cure is mocked by the terminally ill.

Rooster7 (1959 xxxx)

If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.

- Lenny Bruce

If Lenny Bruce could resurrect himself from the grave, he wouldnt be making light of Christs sacrifice. Hed be to shouting out the gospel instead of obscenities.

Rooster7 (1959 xxxx)

"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means."

- Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come form the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:14

Every once in awhile things intended to be funny and lighthearted touch a nerve and before you know it, things get said and done that people didnt intend to occur. I know this quote thing was meant as a subtle dig at a poster, but to continue the current direction would seem to mean we as scouters are not as tolerant of other's beliefs as perhaps we should be.

Perhaps we should take a deep breath and step away from the quote search engines and find other ways to bedevil each other

I just want to present alternative views to Mark Twain, Lenny Bruce, and Clarence Darrow. Humorously presented or not, I didnt find any of their remarks enlightening, only denigrating to people of faith. Todays PC police would not tolerate similar comments made by Twain or Bruce concerning other faiths. Nor should they tolerate it when Christians are the target.

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything but... I was talking with my boss the other day having a little complain about another department when I came out with:

"I am not sure what they are doing but I know that their not doing it right."

He asked me to say it again and we both had a good chuckle. When I got to thinking about it I seen how it could apply to some of the units in the District.

One of the best quotes I ever heard was from a young lad in our troop back home.

The troop used to hold a monthly church parade at a local church. I can't remember the denomination. As a Scout I hated this as it meant me going to church twice on a Sunday. (Not that it did me any harm.) When I became Scoutmaster and the troop became more diverse the PLC looked at the church parade and gave it a big thumbs down. Opting to go to the local hospital and wheel the patients down to the church service. The hospital was 15 floors and they had fun while looking good in their uniforms and being very visible to the local community.

The hospital got a new Chaplin who to increase attendance signed up a whole group from the geriatric ward.

Myself and a couple of Scouts went to the geriatric ward to pick up a group and there is this little old lady screaming "I don't want to go - I don't want to go !!" Tony a 14 year old looked at the nurse on duty and said "She don't want to go" The nurse glared back and through clenched teeth said "She is going."

Tony went to the old lady undone the brakes on her chair, gave her a little tap on the shoulder and said "It's not church - It's Bingo" and off they went without another word.

Tony now is one of the biggest importers of canned fish to the UK. He is a great fellow and a wonderful cricket player.

Eamonn