Alchohol in Cooking

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now what was it that Gomez used to say, "Oh FOG, you spoke...LUNCH!" You guys are makin' me hungry, I'm outa here. Rooster, just a note, I think I read somewhere that autopsies on alcoholics almost never find any coronary heart disease. Not to suggest overindulgence I should add, but that would be wine, not grapejuice. :)

"Not to suggest overindulgence I should add, but that would be wine, not grapejuice."

I think that it is due to the alcohol which is absent from the non-alocholic wine. I wonder if they have non-alcoholic Scotch. . .

Gotta love those specialty foods. Primanti Brothers. Skyline Chilli. I had a really good Steak and Cheese in Philly. A slice-a-pie. Gotta include a big mess o' jambalaya.

One of the best things about travelling is sampling the local food specialities. Oddly, they never include just four green beans.

My mother-in-law thinks it is in her job description to make everyone dress up and go out to hoity-toity restaurants. She was very pleased one night when my 10-year-old announced at dinner that he knew what "haricort verts" were.

"Yes, what are they?" she asked.

"Fifteen-dollar green beans," he replied.

That's my boy!

Oh I'm feeling cut and bleeding just because I can make a Pate and not call it meatloaf.

What a turn this thread has taken.

Now everyone doesn't think I like a good Samich from Philly.

One of the only things better is a good Southern BBQ sandwich like from the Pit Stop or Fresh Air.

Oh sure I've cooked with some of the best Chefs in the world, Served Presidents and their wives and have an armful of awards but if you knew what I do now you would be laughing.

I oversee the food production for a major University That cranks out upwards of 7000 meals a day.

Why? so I can have a real life and do other things like Scouts and give FOG a hard time.

Cheffy,

Don't take the ribbing personally. I'd eat gourmet everyday if I could afford it. It's just a matter of utility value. Eat a gourmet meal today and starve for the rest of the week, or eat cheese steak all week long (so to speak). Although, even if I had the dough (no pun intended...well, maybe it was), I'd probably go slumming every now and again. Grease is one of the four basic food groups, isn't it? ;-)

"just a note, I think I read somewhere that autopsies on alcoholics almost never find any coronary heart disease."

Then again their livers have more scar tissue than the ear of a former Mike Tyson boxing opponent.

Rooster and FOG, calm down, clearly gourmet food is not meant for the proletariat else we could afford it.

Cheffy, or anybody else quite frankly, can you tell me what possess a guy who is in the woods watching his swine feed then sees one of the animals kick up a big ball of fungus out of the ground and say, get outta there pig, that hunk of moldy whatever is MINE?

OGE

I'm not sure how the truffle thing got started. Probably the same guy that said "I wonder what the liquid that come out of these things hanging below this cow tastes like." Or "Ooops I left this cow liquid in a cave for a year and it's all solid and moldy. Guess I'll eat it."

I still vote to eat with cheffy's troop whether gourmet or proletariat. I have to ask, though - cheffy, in your current job do you ever think about Matt. 7:6 and the concept of 'casting pearls'? It could be a lot worse, you could be working for the airline industry. My alltime best airline meal: South China Airline, 1996. I have no idea what it was but it was really good.

See, I understand about Sweetbreads and brain, and pigs feet, they had to use every part of the animal they could, but I have to wonder just how the experimental eating project was done. I mean, I love mushrooms, but I wonder how many people died before they got the idea not all mushrooms are created equal and left over grape juice could deliver quite a kick.

And while I wouldnt mind eating in the troop to which Cheffy serves, do you think cooking with "spirits" is againts the BSA Alchohol policy?

been away, y'all - remediating viruses in Southern California... sigh.

Some families have religious injunctions against alcohol, while others have members who are recovering from real drinking problems - these families have their own good understandable reasons to hope that their children are not exposed to something that might make alcohol seem ordinary and ok, on either side of the fence. Out of respect for these families, there should probably be zero tolerance for cooking sherry, or any other ingestible alcohol, regardless of salt.

other families, for religous, cultural or other reasons, stand at the other end of the spectrum - and would choose not to have, say, something THEY see as sacramental demonized by some well-intentioned passer-by.

In such cases, the best way to respect these families' own choices is to have NO identified alcoholic ingredient along on the camp-out. If it isn't there, then NO toes get stepped on.

if it IS there - well, I'd say it's not the place of Scouting to infringe on those areas that arguably belong to the family. when you know you have Jewish kids in the troop you serve, ya don't just plan pork sausage for breakfast. (I hope)

(I don't really see anti-abuse programs as getting in the way here, because what I'm picturing is much more subtle, by the way. I'm talking about just not putting a kid - needlessly - into a position where his parents' good teachings may be undermined. On the other hand, if the family is teaching that heavy drinking is good, and supplying beer for the patrol meeting - well, it's time for Social services!)

BTW - if cooking sherry has no alcohol, then is it really avowed wine?