I am chairing a council-wide university of Scouting this Fall.

I would be intersted in suggestions outside of the standard training courses that you think would help improve scouting in packs troops or crews. Here is a short list of some sessions we are considering.

> Blue and Gold program ideas

> Webelos Retention

> Webelos to Scout transition

> Maximizing Popcorn Sales

> Selecting and Recruiting Volunteers

> First Class Emphasis

> Problem Solving for Commissioners

> Roundtable Highlights

> Pack Meeting Sparklers

> Program Planning

> Den Chief Training

> Unit Budget Plans

> Places to go things to do for Troops

> Places to go things to do for Packs

> Places to go things to do for Crews

> Organizing and maintaining patrols

> Role of the pack and troop trainers

> Volunteer Recognitions

> The role of professional scouting

I would be interested in your additions

BW

To add a bit on what Aggie mentioned, how about what the Council Office does for each unit. And I dont mean suck up FOS dollars. What committees are there on the District and then COuncil and National Level and how are members selected and what do they do and how do you get on a committee. What do the District Execs do, and how is that different from a Field Director (it is different, isnt it?) and then what does the COuncil Exec do. I know they can't be exact, but just the roles they fill in the organizaiton.

Accounting practices relative to Scouting (think of the scouting account conversation here as well as the many questions and issues that come up over the funds just on these forums.)

First aid. I took this when council added it to Pow Wow. It was a full course, very much in demand, and it covered the basics--would LOVE to have more of this one.

Leadership survival was the name of a course I took, but it dealt with recruiting--I was hoping for some tips on managing time, dealing with conflicts, and things of this nature from more experienced leaders.

I like what you have so far--it sounds very different from what I took part in. We had Magic, Rockets, Camping, Cooking Outside, Native American Crafting and Lore (LOVED this course!), Whittling, and then some of what you named.

It looks like a very comprehensive list. Some ideas you might want to consider:

Supplemental Training's: Here you could look at courses that might be offered at your local Community College,First Aid, CPR,that sort of thing. Maybe look at what is going on at Philmont.

Computer Software for your unit.

Religious Awards.

International Scouting at the unit level.(Jamboree on the air, Jamboree on the net.)

Good Turn For America. I only recently found out that this is running till 2010.

Selection of Quality Leadership.

And last but not least

How to be nice to the District Chairman!!

Eamonn

Just went to one March 6. Some of the better offerings (IMHO):

An intro course to Packmaster/Troopmaster

An intermediate course for both

Cub Scouting beyond the Ranks - covered Progress Towards Rank, totems, arrow points, Academic & Sports belt loops and pins, World Conservation, religious emblems (there was also another course soleley on religious emblems), BSA Family Award, Webelos activity badges.

Missed a few - Crime Prevention, Conservation Good Turn,

US Heritage, Heavy Shoulder, Super Achiever, Twentier, Recruiter, Interpreter, etc.

Safe Swim Defense/ Safety Afloat

Climb On Safely

Shooting Safety

Basic First Aid

Intro to Wood Badge - what it is and why you should go

Adult Training Awards - how to get them for you den leaders and ACM, etc

Risk management as it pertains to outings - not insurance per se but Health and Safety, G2SS, planning, etc

a bunch of courses on personal time management (to control that one hour a week beast), how to remember your spouse, how to avoid burnout, etc

Ceremonies that create Memories

Cub Scout Derbies without Pinewood Cars

Community Service Projects for Packs

Leave No Trace for Cub Scouts

Character Connections

Monthly Themes and why you should use them

Duty to Country - flag etiquette, patriotic opening ceremonies, parades

These are the courses I took or wanted to, but couldn't since there were only 8 sessions. (I skipped lunch).

Sorry, I didn't take any Boy Scout focused course this time. Last year, there was one Boy Scout course I participated in that was on first year retention - as a follow up to Webelos to Scout Transition.

Good luck.

(This message has been edited by Marty_Doyle)

Leadership essentials for the JASM. (ie give a transitional youth an exposure to NLE: SM specific, perhaps including the outdoor leader instruction).

Why? We have an older youth/transitional adult position, and if you look at the unit JLT training package, the JASM is sorta out in left field.

Ideally, he's had unit JLT and Brownsea, and maybe even NJLTC at PTC...

Good Day All

>>Why? We have an older youth/transitional adult position, and if you look at the unit JLT training package, the JASM is sorta out in left field.

Ideally, he's had unit JLT and Brownsea, and maybe even NJLTC at PTC...

Hi Bob,

See my private email to you about our councils previous classes that I can send you. I have perused a lot of other web sites for ideas. Here is my councils, http://www.indianhead.org/training/supplemental/uos/

Like I said though, no classes listed yet. One's I have seen that scouters like are from authors of books we use. We have a couple in our area that come to our events.

Do a presentation on some of the lesser known recognitions, such as:

Den Chief Service Award

National Camping Award

National Honor Patrol

Recruiter

Advancement Trail beads

Conservation Good Turn

Hornaday awards

Leave No Trace

World Conservation Award

Interpreter

Paul Bunyan Woodsman