Why doesnt anyone wear neckerchiefs anymore?

I noticed that the leaders in my pack don't wear neckerchiefs, but most of them don't wear the pants or hats either, so I figured it was just sloppy, half-hearted uniforming that is common in most of the packs I've been associated with. But then I went to a big meeting in the city sponsored by the council with leaders from lots and lots of different packs, and I only saw two people (including myself) wearing neckerchiefs. Actually I wear a scarf, but I didn't' even see any bolo ties. There were plenty of people who were completely uniformed with the exception of neckwear. Why is that? Any ideas why the cub scout leaders in my area hate neck wear?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few reasons.

1) Some idiot in the 1970s thought of the idea to make Scouting cool for more urban kids and made the necker optional for Boy Scouts. While some older troops do, many don't. Venturers don't wear them either, if they even wear the field uniform since they can choose their own. So the Cub leaders see folks not wearing them and think why not. Cubs see that and they think why not.

2) Same idiot decided to cut costs and make all neckers CS size, not realizing all the uses a necker can be used for( see #3). Only way to get a properly sized necker from 72 or therabouts until 2009 was to have them custom made.

3) People don't know why the necker is so useful. So at 6:30PM and 95 degrees, why don't you wet it down a bit so that it not only protects your neck from sunburn, but cools ya down. See an accident that needs first aid done? Bob's your uncle your necker chief can be used as a bandage (just don't use one with Green Bar Bill's signature as it will be ruined :( ) Need to get out of a burning building, wet it and cover your mouth. Shall I go on?

4) Some folks think it's a women's fashion accessory. Gotta remind them that cowboys wore them way before the ladies did.

I wear neckers, and glad national started making them the right size for Boy Scouts and leaders. I had to wear some European ones and custom ones for a while.

Necker + Giant Collar on Scout Shirt = Sweaty

Plus, people want to just about strangle themselves with the darn things, fastening them all the way up like ties.

And, over or under?

I think they look nice when worn in a sensible fashion.

Given my druthers, I prefer the bolo over the necker.. Right now I am on WB staff so I have to wear the WB plaid.

But I can't figure out how people get those nice little ends that are perfect ringlets, so neat & perfect. Mine is the messed up ends choked to death with the slide.. If I have no-one to check my back, I am unsure how straight the point is in back etc.. So much easier the bolo..

The main reason is because that on the uniform inspection sheet for Scouters it says that neckwear and hats are both optional. And as stated by another poster modern neckers from supply are not large enough to use in first aid as triangular bangades and thus except for cooling or display purposes.

I agree with the sizing comments...the small ones are simply useless for any first aid or other use.

Our troop elected to combine the neckerchief and headgear with a Buff.

http://carlisletroop5.com/about

It's a tubular bandana that can be worn several ways; cools you in the summer, protects you from the sunburn and wind, warms you in the winter.

Here's a good shot of them wearing it in various ways while we were at Gettysburg:

http://carlisletroop5.com/gallery/?album=1&gallery=70&pid=8988

Buff huh...

Yeah I got one of those for Christmas, not sure if it's small, but the one I got looks much smaller than the ones the scouts are wearing. Pretty nice piece of gear, but I've not had the opportunity to wear it on a real frigid day.

Some of the choices look useful, but mostly it makes me think that an official 'hoodie' uniform is not far behind. A bit too 'gangsta' for my conservative taste..... just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Ive always had issues with the smaller sized ones because even though we would still use em for first aide they didnt work well. The bigger ones can once again be used for slings and bandages.

I weare a neckercheif on occasion but i hate the constricted feeling around my neck. I still try and set a good example and i ALWAYS wear the bolo unless i happen to be in a neckercheif for some reason. But i am always prepared for wearing the neckercheif and have multiple diferent ones....OA, Generic BSA, Troop ##, Eagle, Woodbadge, ect.

Another common one im seeing with leaders is they leave the top 2 buttons of the shirt unbuttoned so that their chest hair sticks out and it looks awful.

How are ya wearing the necker?

if you're wearing it under the open collar, West's incorrect way I might add ;) , then yes I can see the constriction.

But if you wear it under a tucked under collar, and ware it so that the necker covers the "V" you don't get the constriction