Cub Scout Salute

I am getting ready to do a den meeting on the flag requirements for Citizen. When reviewing the "Your Flag" book, I noticed that the adult leaders in the diagram don't do the cub scout salute with two fingers. They all are demonstrating the normal salute you think of. I learned to do the cub scout salute from observing the other adult leaders at my pack and roundtable. Are we all doing it wrong?

I don't remember that particular illustration but I agree, it could be the result of 'artistic license'. I run into this in textbooks and there the problem is really bad if it gets through the review process. An illustrator, on some occasions, has taken a scientific graph of data and altered the lines because they 'look' better with the alteration. The scientist who produced the graph assumes, naturally, that his data are going to be published exactly as they were submitted. In a peer-review such goofs are almost always caught but in textbooks, they are sometimes made late in the process and review is cursory. Oh well. So YOU are the reviewer in this case. At least the mistake is minor and easily corrected. My thoughts go to the original cover of the Disney 'Little Mermaid' video case. THAT was incredible!

I had to go look up the cover to Little Mermaid. I read it was a total mistake and not noticed for a year after release, lol! The artist was a churchgoer who says he did it by accident and once it hit the media about the tower, his church group was the one to tell him. How embarassing! :)

Looks like I hijacked things. Sorry. I'll try to lay it to rest now. I first noticed the offending 'spire' when an illustrator friend returned from an illustrators conference with the story. I immediately pulled our copy off the shelf and...O!M!G!

ALL of the spires began to look, well, you know. So I stopped looking, and put that video into a safe place (gonna be a collectors item someday).

The story my friend heard at the conference is that illustrators normally like to 'sign' their work, either the way Norman Rockwell did (you can be sure HE'D never have drawn something like that)...h'mmm...I hope...or with a signature token (a small piece of art that is always the same and is worked into the illustration kind of like a trademark or something).

Anyway, the story goes that Disney doesn't allow 'signing'. The illustrator got upset and left Disney with a very special token.

Snopes has put the lie to this story and I have to admit, I'm sorry for that. Sometimes the illusions are more interesting than the reality.

Though I'm still a bit suspicious about that claim of it being 'accidental'. Illustrators are quirky and they are quite aware of what they create. Yep, suspicious. Maybe I'm just hanging onto the myth.

Back to cub scout salutes.....

As long as its not a ONE finger salute (so to speak), I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Cubs do 2-finger, some adults (when with cubbies) do the same. I've seen either done with Webelos scouts - hard to tell them to do it "the little kid way", when the majority of their rank is LEARNING the BSA way of doing things. Why learn it and then not use it?

Adult leaders in BSA, when visiting a cub gathering (i.e. DE, visiting SM, Roundtable, etc..) use the BSa 3-finger salute.