Parade Float Ideas

We have a Veteran's Day Parade coming up in my council. There is going to be a lot of Scouts that are participating in the parade and I am looking for some ideas on what we can do for the float decorations.

THe float theme has to be one of the following:

Military

Patriotic

This will be my first parade that we make a float for and I am looking for some ideas and hints on how to decorate and build our float.

You could decorate it with lots of military/ patriotic pictures and signs- use lots of red-white-n-blue bunting and swag...

I bet lots of your boys have dress-up outfits at home for military, fire, police, ect, they can wear them, or maybe tack 'em to a foam core board so they can wear thier uniforms (which are pretty patriotic anyway, IMO)...

Do you know any vets or current service men that would like to be the guest of honor on your float? put 'em in a big fancy chair and treat 'em like a king-for-a-day.

check online for some 4th of July parades, maybe you'll find some pics of floats!

- Look for historic military uniforms for costume ideas - Revolutionary era, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm...

- The folding-a-flag idea is great. Depending on what type of a float you have, you could have a small flagpole rigged up that the Scouts could take down/run up throughout the parade. You could also have historic American flags displayed.

When you're designing it, keep in mind the relevant G2SS info on floats and hayrides:

- Those persons riding, whether seated or standing, must be able to hold on to something stationary.

- Legs should not hang over the side.

There have been some serious and wholly preventable accidents in recent years involving Scouts and parade floats.

Here's what the Guide to Safe Scouting says:

Parade Floats and Hayrides

The BSA rule prohibiting the transportation of passengers in the backs of trucks or on trailers may be tempered for parade floats or hayrides, provided that the following points are strictly followed to prevent injuries:

Transportation to and from the parade or hayride site is not allowed on the truck or trailer.

Those persons riding, whether seated or standing, must be able to hold on to something stationary.

Legs should not hang over the side.

Flashing lights must illuminate a vehicle used for a hayride after dark, or the vehicle must be followed by a vehicle with flashing lights.

Reference: Health and Safety Guide, No. 34415

Italics are by me and connote emphasis, they do not denote National policy.

Whatever you do, keep your Cubs SAFE (DA##IT)

This is a hot button of mine. I serve the local PTA as a volunteer at the HS, support safe driving practices, including seat belting. The best editorial cartoonist none of you will ever know was killed on the Ventura Freeway in 1972. Kevin was in the bed of a pickup that had a wreck. He went flying at 55MPH and did not survive impact.

I've read tales here of Cubs being crushed under trailer wheels. Do this smartly, if you're going to do it. Keep the children safe.

We have made some decisions about the veterans day parade. Mostly after we looked at how long the parade route was. Half a mile. That is fine for the boys to walk that short distance.

But on the other hand we will have a trailer available for the boys to use as a float for our christmas parade in December.

I think when we do this we will have adult leaders walking along the side of the trailer as a secondary safety. We as adults will keep our own safety in mind but be on the watch for boys that might get hurt.

SAFETY FIRST

I have seen the following in parades with CSs:

A model B17 with a 8 foot wingspan, on its landing gear (handsome model!) pulled by the Cubs , waving American flags. Led by a Banner announcing "Pack XYZ salutes our Vets".

Cub Pack dressed in card board railroad cars tied in a train behind a wagon built up to be a steam engine. Adults pulled the wagon/engine.(old timers parade).

Cub pack riding on antique fire engine. Volunteer fire company was CO.

Cub Pack pulling along each other in the "Cub Cars" they made. 2x4 frames, lawn mower wheels, rope, you know the type I mean. Each car had a sign attached that touted a point of the Law of the Pack.

Have fun!