Litttle girl in a Cub Scout uniform

This past weekend I saw a little girl at a council event in a FULL Cub Scout uniform. According to the colors she was wearing she would be a wolf. Many people noticed this and did not say a word to the parents or the leaders of that pack. Personally I wish Cub Scout was a coed program but since it is not, should somebody have said something? Is it the conscientious of most Scouters that Cubs should be a coed program like in the UK?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an opionion from someone who was a Cub many many years ago.

At the time I would not have been happy with girls in my den, prolly not noticed if there were a den of girls attending a pack function.

Knowing now how lame a Brownie troop can be I would hate to tell a tomboy she couldn't be a Cub. I would want the program to remain a BOYS program, one that welcomed girls who wanted to do the same things.

While I'm all for a coed program.

This isn't the way to go about getting it.

"should somebody have said something?"

Yes -Maybe -Sorta!!

First I'd want to know why she was wearing it?

Was it just "Playing" or had she been the victim of a wild cup of bug juice?

I can think of a lot of reasons why she might have the uniform on.

If it turns out that the Pack is allowing her to be a "Real" Cub Scout? I think a word in the ear of the DE is the way to go.

He or She can contact the COR or the CO and explain why this isn't allowed.

I wouldn't try and explain to the parents or the leaders, I think they know what they are doing isn't right. The shame is that the little girl is just caught up in the game they are playing (If this is the case.)And is the one who will end up being upset.

Seems odd that a little girl can wear FULL uniform while I very rarely see a Cub Scout wearing the full uniform!!

Ea.

It's not pink shoes that make a girl a girl, it's.... well, .... you know.

definately go with what Eamonn said.

I've seen cub scouts with girly looking long hair. They say they grow it long to donate it to a wig program for cancer patients. Noble cause, but confusing.

It's what, Gonz? An extra X chromosome? I say hold her (him?) down and do a cheek swab and let's nail it down for sure.

Otherwise, let's MYOB. I would say, "Wow, that's odd", shake my head...and move on. Got too many of my own issues to worry about.

Prairie, what is it that makes Brownies lame???? Sure they do not have BB gun, archery, and Pine wood derby, but that is there program. It also is what the leaders do with the program guidlines they have. I have seen some really great Girl Scout Programs as well as real lame Cub Scout programs. It depends on the effort that the leadership puts into them. I know, becouse I am a Co-leader for a Junior Girl Scout Troop, and a Den Leader for Cub Scouts.

When I staffed District Day Camp a few years back, there was a youngster who seemed out of place. I reported my concerns to the Program Director and let her deal with it. Turned out Mom and Dad decided that Day Camp was a good time to pack off the kids, so they snuck darling daughter in. Registered her as a boy, and so on.

To Pack 378: If you see something out of the ordinary, your duty begins and ends with reporting the matter to event staff, ideally one of the Key 3 (Director, PD, professional staff adviser). Their job is to deal with someone trying to bend the rules.

I can see where parents might think it's "cute" to see daughter in a cub scout uniform, but it isn't right.

You could say "what's your name" and if you get Chris, Terry, Sam or Pat, well, then you gotta go to event staff. If the kid say Tom or bill or some other boy name, I think you're OK.

I think we should all uphold the rules, it's HOW we approach it that matters. Don't go yelling at the kid or parent, not even the unit leader, go to the event staff, PD, DE, etc. on duty.

That way, one of "us" brings it to someone elses attention.

(This message has been edited by Gonzo1)

As Scoutldr said too many more important issues to worry about. Besides with our numbers shrinking maybe we shouldn't be too quick to dismiss it, lol.

F Scouter how many kids do you see get dressed up in old military uniforms or other type of professional clothing just for fun , it's part of being a kid so get over it already. Besides you probably did the same thing when you were a kid.

briantshore: I'm just going by what my sisters have told me over the years, both did earn their Gold.

I will try to clarifiy my position, I would welcome girls in a Cub pack (but not Webelos) if national said so.