Summer Camp Showers

Regarding summer camp showers, what showering facilities are available at your council camps for summer camp?

Hot water available or only cold water?

Centrally located showers?

Campsite Showers?

Most of our summer camps have cold water showers available in the campsites with a central shower facility with hot and cold water. All have showers with hot and cold water available at the pool - but these are normally locked when the pool is closed. One of the camps have showers with hot and cold water in each campsite.

Thanks

Campsites have a BSA standard design latrine (2 urinals, 1 handicap, 3 standard stalls over a concrete well). One end of the building has a 12' washbasin and a pipe drilled with holes provides running water.

At our major Boy Scout facility, each of the 3 500 person camps has a pool with shower house. Youth have gang showers. Adults (each gender) have three stall showers, including 1 handicap stall).

At our mixed use (Boy Scout 4 sessions, Webelos 10 sessions, and Bear Family Resident Camp 10 sessions) our Central Camp (Boy and Webelo) has a pool with shower house. Again, division by gender and age. The Bear Camp area has a BSA standard design staff village shower and latrine house (1 side, 10 combined toilet and sink rooms, the other side 10 shower rooms, and one handicap toilet/sink/shower room).

OK?

Yes,

We go to Wakpominee in Ft Ann NY

There are a couple different shower facilities and they have hot water.

The heads are still pit outhouses, with a couple porcelin (sp?) seats for "parents" day centrally located.

And yes there is a lake to swim in. It's a great place but I wish the canteen sold swimming goggles.

Firstly, they would make a million bucks

Second the Scouts would stop asking if they could borrow mine. I need them because I don't want to lose a cantact lens.

R u listening Wakpominee?

We have them. Hot water too (I'm always there at around 0530). And flush toilets that only seem to clog once a day. They're recent upgrades to the camp, though, I think mandated by local codes or something.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Camp Shenandoah in Stonewall Jackson Area Council, Virginia has a central shower house for campers. It has two sections for youth with individual stalls, one for adult female and one for adult male. The showers were rebuilt just a few years ago to meet local code and National camp standards. As I understand it, National now has a standard for individual stalls.

There are also showers in the Fix campsite for staff and one in the backside of the dining hall for the cook staff (and for Campmasters in the off season).

I set up a cold shower by the campsite latrine, using a Coleman shower tent. This is real nice for quick showers in the morning and afternoon just to get the sweat off.

The SPL is responsible for troop hygiene. He ensures that the patrol leaders get their patrols to the showers on a regular basis. The Scoutmasters gently remind him from time to time (or when someone starts to smell). They also ensure that the latrines are used (we have had issues with some of the Scouts who avoid using them).

The SPL and PL are also supposed to keep watch on Scouts at mealtimes to ensure they are eating and drinking properly.

Ed P.

Camp Woodruff (Atlanta Area Council) has 22 campsites and 5 bath houses, with hot water. Each campsite has its own latrine as well.

The bath houses feature a large bathroom with individual showers on the boy's side. The shower stalls each have a small changing area as well.

One end of the building has 6 private bathrooms, with sink, toilet and shower, for the adults to use. They have combination locks on the doors, and a deadbolt from the inside. They are used by men and women Scouters.

For years, central shower area divided into two - adult and youth. Kids today shower in their swim suits. As of last year, a brick shower house with six individual shower stalls. I like them because now, I can use the older facilities in peace!

Wow...Camp Woodruff sounds like the Hilton!

Ours has traditional gang showers for men and youth (separate), and a third section was added for women with individual stalls.

My boys tell me that the showers in the High School gym are now used for storage. No showers required after PE.