8 overdue from Arkansas backpack

"This is a group that is going to be able to fend and use the survival skills they learned through scouting," he said. "They're probably going to be hungry, but I'm sure they're going to be able to scrounge up enough food to be OK."

I agree with this statement, and believe that Scoutskills and Campcraft will see them through -- and is likely a great adventure with fodder for lots of great stories. I have a much higher confidence level then if they were non-Scouts.

Assuming they make it out ok, should they be responsible for the costs incurred by search and rescue? A helicopter is not cheap -- about $500/hour!

Another great quote...

"The soldiers have not confirmed the people they located were the scouts, but they believe they are the only ones who would be able to get a fire started in a drenched area."

All OK now:

LANGLEY, AR (AP) - The six Louisiana Scouts and two leaders have been rescued by helicopter from Arkansas wilderness area.

Arkansas State Police said helicopter pilots working overnight spotted the group.

Spokesman Bill Sadler said a trooper at the scene reported National Guardsmen spotted the group from the air.

Reports indicated they were located around 2:30 a.m. Rescue operations resumed at sun-up.

The Scouts from Troop 162 in Lafayette, LA, arrived Thursday at the Albert Pike Recreation Area.

The search began Monday morning, after the group didn't return as expected.

Six LA scouts and scout leaders rescued from AR campground

Posted: May 03, 2011 8:44 AM EDT Updated: May 03, 2011 8:44 AM EDT

LODI, Ark. (AP) - Six Louisiana Boy Scouts and two adult leaders were rescued by helicopter from an Arkansas wilderness area Tuesday morning.

The Scouts were taken to their parents, who were waiting at a camp supply store near the Albert Pike Recreation Area.

The group had been expected back in Louisiana on Sunday, but high water kept them from leaving the heavily wooded area in southwestern Arkansas.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Based on the original news report, I wonder why someone rang the alarm bell.

There is really no reason to suppose this group was distressed in any significant way or in need of rescue.

It's not unusual for a hiking, backpacking or climbing group to be delayed by circumstances, and often delay is the wise course of action and trying to avoid delay the reckless action.

I suppose public authorities have little choice but to regard an overdue party as an emergency, but it strikes me as overdone and perhaps sad.

Yah, this was passed along to me by a friend in da area, from an adult member of the "lost" troop:

For those that may not know, it was my boy scout troop that was missing for the past few days. Media had mentioned several times that there had been communication with the group earlier and that was not true. We did not know til 3:00 this morning that they were alive. All 8 were accounted for. They were around a fire. They were where they should have been.

The troop crossed the Little Missouri river, normally about 18" deep set up camp Saturday night and during the night got a 4 1/2 rain, they needed to cross that same river Sunday morning but the water was too high, according to the forecast (which was checked several times before they left) , no rain had been predicted when the troop hit the trail Thur. morning. With no cell service there was no way for them to know of the change. So they sat it out all day Sunday. It was not til about 7:00pm on Sunday that any authorities were called, (the troop van was found at the trail head) by then it was dark and water was too high and weather was too bad to put a helicopter in the air. Then Sunday night they got another 3 1/2 of rain. All this time the search & rescue could not go down the trails where we thought they were and no choppers could get in the air. (they tried three times on Monday and had to be grounded) This morning about 6:00 a chopper was able to land and pull them out, the crew was high and dry the whole time, waiting for the water to drop and plans were to hike out.

Sounds to me like an ordinary case of "Be Prepared". Honestly the ride in the helicopter was probably the most dangerous part of the trip for the lads (but perhaps the most fun ;)).

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Communication is the key here...

I wonder if there was any way they could have let someone in the Troop or an authority know that they were ok, just trapped by water. I understand the spotty cell coverage, but what about a radio?

I also wonder if they really needed to be pulled out by helicopter? Could they have waited for the water to recede and hike out?

Mostly a case of those who were not familiar with the group to know what they were capable of, or a helicoptor parent.

As to why not wait and hike out rather than take the helicopter ride. Heck, thats easy, why would any youth pass up an opportunity for a cool ride in a helicopter. It maybe the only time to do this, and its COOL.

I don't think any boy who is given the choice of waiting for the water to lower or take a HELICOPTER ride out would pass the chance to ride in the helicopter. I still get excited flying our Helicopter simulator. But then we don't have a hiking simulator to compare.

I love that flying stuff too.

Barry