Annoyed with new uniform

I recently purchased a new shirt and trousers for a complete new uniform. Not that my prior uniform was worn out. Just too much personal growth. But I digress.

There is much to like about the new uniforms. Among other things, the breast pocket flaps on the shirt do not button down, but are more or less secured with velcro. However the designers thoughtfully provided a button inside the flap on the right breast pocket for hanging "temporary insignia." That button came off within two hours of my putting the shirt on for the first time.

Anybody have other issues with the new uniform regarding workmanship?(This message has been edited by eisely)

I love the fit, quality and functionality of the new uniform. My one gripe is the elastic slide in the pants. They are darn near to keep up if you take your belt off. I'm thinking about marking mine when they are on with a belt and sew the two sliding panels together where they "fit" me. Beyond that, I love the new uniform.

I noticed the shirt version that is softer and cooler to wear is very "wrinkly prone".

I have a couple of the older style, that once you put them on, the wrinkles drop out and the collar holds it's shape becuase I don't iron. I kinda got used to the AF drip-dry shirts. :)

They probably won't wear as well as they are nick-prone. I probably won't buy another since the older style is cheaper now.

For all the switch backs I have,there's 1 where the elastic band sewn in is twisted up. I am about to remove it and sew it back in place in a few spots.

I pulled the belt/buckle from one pair, spliced in an elastic section in the middle of the belt and re-pulled it. Been working so far and no one knows it's there.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Gee, my boys like the old red-piped pocket pants that button shut. Things don't fall out. :)

The garrison cap fits nicely into the pants pocket or tucks in belt. :)

E-Bay provides scouts with lots of uniforms for about 1/3rd the price of National. :)

Some of my boys (new boys) do wear the new uniform and that's great. Most don't.

One of my boys is very hard on uniforms and totally destroyed one of the new ones in about a year's time. Mom and Dad weren't happy. He is now wearing an old all green uniform, the dirt doesn't show as bad as the tan shirts.

If it says BSA on it and is economical, durable and practical, the boys are allowed to wear it. They tend to wear the older uniforms.

Stosh

For patches hanging off the right button on the new uniform, I just get a twisty-tie (for the bags from the produce section at the grocery store) and secure the patch by pinching the loop right up at the button. Tuck the tie up under the flap and you're good to go.

Maybe China should supply the twist ties with their cheap quality shirts so you can wear your patches, for pete sakes it amazes me you all put up with that crap. I think you should boycott the chinese uniform entirely and send a clear message to National.

They should have dropped the goofy-loops from the shoulders. The bellows pockets aren't something I can use, unless I'm shotgun shooting. Good to have up-to-date materials. Would be nice to have a collarless, neckerchief-friendly version: the necker is a good thing.

The cigarette...err, MEDIA pocket on the left sleeve is ridiculous. Our troop doesn't allow media players at meetings - only in the car on the way to an outing, and no one has yet put his MP3 player in the pocket and snaked the earbud wire through the hole.

The pocket, as the designated spot for the POR patch, is almost impossible to sew into. I ended up removing the pocket, sewing on my SM patch, then sewing the pocket back on.

Another useless feature is the tabs on the long sleeve shirt for holding the sleeves rolled up. The problem is that the sleeves are cut too narrow to be able to roll them up in the first place.

Can't blame the Chinese kids for this. The fault lies with National trying to make a quick buck by foisting poorly designed uniforms on us.