Boy Scout kilts

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As scouting goes I think it would be great if the BSA would allow Utilikilts be worn at functions, dress or otherwise. The BSA logo embroidered on the front panel in gold on a green Survival model wou

Yes I am guessing Mr. Boyce will not be traveling to Scotland anytime soon in the future.

Really not sure why people are so worried about scouts in kilts when from what I can tell you can't even get them in official pants. Most photos I see posted by other scouters seems Levi,and Wrangler are the official pants supplier. So you folks scared because you think somehow kilts are going to take over just relax.

• 5 weeks later...

I have joked with this fun topic to be sure! But consider:

(a) the general public already has some pretty fixed notions about "scoutmasters." George Orwell pointed out a good many years ago that, at least in England, that was a euphemism for pedophile.

(b) men don't wear dresses.

© we live in America, not Scotland.

(d) men wearing shorts generally exercise discretion, as to time and place. It is already tough enough for adults to pull off the scout uniform wearing shorts.

(e) the purpose of a uniform is to unite people. The "clannish" aspect here (of one ethnic group asserting itself within U.S. scouting) certainly would be offputting to others and would reasonably be seen as opening up possibilities for the Boy Scout Hula Skirt, Boy Scout Lederhosen, Boy Scout kaftan, etc. It's a box that just should not be opened.

hmmmm....

So should we also get rid of the Merit Badge sash because a sash is typically worn by Scottish women in highland dress?

I proudly wear my tartan scarf (I meant neckerchief)

"O brave new world! That has such people in it!"- John the Savage

(This message has been edited by oldisnewagain1)

• 11 months later...

A Venturing crew can choose their own uniform, right? So a kilt could be a fine part of a crew's actual, official, uniform.

Kilts could even be worn with the Venturing uniform shirt, and still be legal, as far as I can tell. From scouting.org "It is recommended that crews adopt a charcoal-gray casual pants and/or backpacking-style shorts for their uniform. However, each crew may determine what, if any, specific uniform pants or shorts they will wear based on crew activities."

CAN you wear a kilt as part of a Boy Scout uniform? Certainly, if you are wearing them correctly no one will take them off you...

Should you wear them? Sorta reminds me of the argument of why people join organizaitons and then don't follow the organization's rules. There is no mention of a Scouting kilt in the uniform guide.

Could a Venturing Crew include a kilt? aye

Should they? Depends on how the legs look...

CAN you wear a kilt as part of a Boy Scout uniform? Certainly, if you are wearing them correctly no one will take them off you...

Should you wear them? Sorta reminds me of the argument of why people join organizaitons and then don't follow the organization's rules. There is no mention of a Scouting kilt in the uniform guide.

Could a Venturing Crew include a kilt? aye

Should they? Depends on how the collective crew's legs look...

We have an acknowledged issue on declining numbers in scouting, youth today having a poor perception of scouting, scouts that would NEVER wear the uniform to school and avoid letting other kids know they are involved with Scouts. Add to that the perception by the public about scoutmaster pedophiles.

And having it get around that some scouts and scouters might wear kilts (ie: Skirts, the things normally found on WOMEN in the USA) is going to.....

A. Justify and amplify the perception by other kids and the public that scouting is out of touch, gay, wierd, nerdy, something they wouldn't be involved in.....

B. Something cool

If you picked B, you may need a reality check.

We have an acknowledged issue on declining numbers in scouting, youth today having a poor perception of scouting, scouts that would NEVER wear the uniform to school and avoid letting other kids know they are involved with Scouts. Add to that the perception by the public about scoutmaster pedophiles.

And having it get around that some scouts and scouters might wear kilts (ie: Skirts, the things normally found on WOMEN in the USA) is going to.....

A. Justify and amplify the perception by other kids and the public that scouting is out of touch, gay, wierd, nerdy, something they wouldn't be involved in.....

B. Something cool

If you picked B, you may need a reality check.

Well now, check out the following:

http://www.celticfest.org/events

its the host of the 2012 U.S. National Highland Athletic Championships and all contestants will be kilted. Tossing the caber, heaving the rock , throwing the hammer or tossing the sheath is not for wimps

many kilts will be worn and only the truly unsophisticated will sirk at men in skirts

• 4 weeks later...

Second class (sorry for the delay in answering)

"I don't care a fig whether a Scout wears uniform or not so long as his heart is in his work and he carries out the Scout Law."

This quote comes from an article LRBP wrote in the August 1913 issue of "The Scouter" which you can find here.

http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/outlook.html

The series is a good read.