The new uniform.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, its "Venturing", not "Venture". Secondly, if you take away Venturing's uniform and give it to the boy scouts, what do the Venturers get??? There was a reason they gave the spruce green uniform to Explorers back in the 1940s... If your boys want to wear a Venturing uniform, join Venturing. Simple as that.

Not saying that the Venture groups should not have their own uniform. I am simply saying we need to to give the 11-15 age group a uniform they feel proud of, not one they want to hide. The one I have heard my guys keep talking about is the Venture uniform. I have no axe to grind in this. I will enforce the uniform requirements that National hands down. But I really want the guys to feel proud and not "dorky" in their uniform.

"Not saying that the Venture groups should not have their own uniform. I am simply saying we need to to give the 11-15 age group a uniform they feel proud of, not one they want to hide. The one I have heard my guys keep talking about is the Venture uniform. I have no axe to grind in this. I will enforce the uniform requirements that National hands down. But I really want the guys to feel proud and not "dorky" in their uniform."

Please stop calling us "venture". Its "Venturing".

The only difference between the boy scout uniform and the venturing uniform is the color. The boy scout shirt is tan. The venturing shirt is spruce green. please explain how a spruce green shirt is 'not dorky' and a tan shirt is...

I have no doubt that given enough time, the parlor scouters who like to festoon their shirts with doodads and dangles will come to love the shrines they create and can wear with pride. For me, I'll keep it subdued, only decorating it with the bare minimum of ornamentation required. Just a plain old guy I guess. I don't like Christmas trees either.

Still can't figure out what I might use that arm pocket for. If I smoked, it might work well.

emb021,

You seem to get upset when someone says venture instead of venturing.

May I suggest you develop a clever tag line like Barry and "I love this scouting stuff" or evmori and "1 Peter 4:10"

All the best!

Gonzo1

Oh no, please spare us! The first guy that thought up that cutesy idea back in the early days of computer bulletin boards was brilliant. The next guy that copied it, so-so. After that its not cute anymore, in fact it's downright annoying. They are interesting to read the first time (maybe), after that you may as well write "yada, yada, yada". One notable exception out of hundreds and hundreds I've read, is Barry's, because it almost always relates to what he has to say.

Sign me,

Frank

FScouter, your humble servant

"He who writes trite sayings at the end of his message is clever only in his own mind." - FScouter, philosopher, author, and scholar

(With a few blank lines at the end to set off my masterpiece, use up more bandwidth, and force 10,000 forum members to scroll down more that should be needed)

Well, this is fun. I did not join here to argue over Venture or Venturing, simply to find out about the new boy scout uniform. I am almost sorry I said anything at all. I listened to the boys at TLC tonight. They are not sure they like the pockets, the hat is also a maybe. They did not care if the numbers were not red, just as long as the pants were more comfortable. And they did like the pants. They wish the shirt was not tan and the pockets looked "nerdy." Actually, it is not the Venturing uniform that they like, it is the old uniform from the 60s -- who would have guessed.

I vote for the 60's version as well. It was practical, durable and looked good. On a related note, the US Navy is field testing a "new" uniform. The "service dress khaki"...the same uniform from the 1940-1970's with the khaki coat and shoulder boards (epaulettes?). What goes around, comes around.

gkcobb,

Welcome,

Don't be sorry about anything. After several posts related to the topic, there is usually some sort of drift off topic and sometimes becomes quite amusing.

FScouter, I laughed my rear end off (LMREO)

Thanks,

Gonzo

Shoulder boards never went away. They stuck around with the trop whites and the dress whites and let's not forget the reefer and bridgecoat.

Oh, almost forgot. Shouldboards are are way cooler than epaulettes with loops. :-)

(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

I'd like to see a return to community strips. Modern embroidery systems would eliminate the need for stocking hundreds of strips. Units or districts could just order a bunch and keep them on hand. Different colors of strips could be offered for the different programs without much more of a problem.

Of course that would eliminate the extra revenue that CSPs generate for councils with their myriad special CSPs.

We could even go back to different colored numbers for different programs, heck with the new Boy Scout numbers, we're halfway there.

!!!

Boy registers as a new Scout. On the application is a section for Shirt size, Pant size, Belt size, Hat size, sock size. Application comes with Pack/Troop/Crew number and Community and Council already imprinted. Boy and parents include $150. registration/dues.

In 3 weeks, Boy receives Official Boy Scouts of America© uniform, delivered by an uniformed official of the US Government. Shirt is already "Embroidered" with the "Boy Scouts of America" strip over the pocket, the appropriate Troop Number, Community name, Council ID on the sleeve, and World Brotherhood patch INTO THE SHIRT. Zip off pants included, 2 pair green socks included, ready to go...

Or, include the appropriate strips and such with Badge Magic included...

What?

Good idea except that sizes and numbers don't mean anything. I always have to try on. I ordered some switchbacks from Scoutstuff and had to exchange them at the Scout shop for a larger size. And I ALWAYS have to have the pants hemmed (28" inseam), so unhemmed is ok with me. That was interesting with the ankle zippers.