Uniform Inspections

I've always wondered why Scout shops dont offer a "patching" service when they sell uniforms. A service to sew on the patches after they are bought and a promise of uniform availibility may be a great fundraiser for the council. With many single non sewing dads et al I think this would be an excellent idea.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have never thought of uniform inspections as a part of any ceremony, thus we have never practiced that. What did do, though, was unannounced inspections at least one every two months, sometimes once a month, depending on how the SPL felt the troop looked. It was, after all, his job, and not that of any adult.

The SPL would first perform the inspection of his own corps; the ASPL,s, QM, etc. If all was well, then the ASPL's (we had a number) would then do inspections of each and every patrol, reporting back to the SPL at the end.

Consequences for poor uniform varied, but always matched the "crime".

Our policy is very similar to AdvanceOn. During all of our board of reviews, the adults do the uniform inspection. Up to and including First Class, we allow khaki pants (but NOT jeans). After that, we require the official boy scout pants.

The boys are required to wear their class A shirt to the weekly meetings (except for the summer months - then class B uniform short is OK). Only pants not allowed are sweats. We have never sent a boy home because of their dress, but because the other boys tease them (oh, oh - is that hazing?), they generally do not come dressed improperly again.

I like the above policy. Requiring the boy scout pants for first year scouts is a little too stringent for my taste. Since it is easier to have a boy wear a shirt that is too large, then the parents can buy a shirt that lasts a few years. Pants are a different story. They have to fit or else they fall down. So the parents would be buying a pair every year.

By the way, what are BDU pants?

Actually in our unit, the younger scouts tend to be the most uniformed. They cross over in full uniform and wear it all the time. We have a saying, the amount of uniform is inversely proportional to the rank of the scout. As they get older, pants get out grown and then the shirt. At BOR we insist on a full uniform, in fact the only time I saw one scout in a complete dress uniform was for hie eagle BOR. It was brand new, not sure if he ever bought it again

Our inspections are always unannounced. Invariably some kid will say "But it's not fair you didn't tell us first !" As if to say that uniforms need only be worn for pre-announced inspections. We give out some kind of reward such as one Hershey's kiss for each uniform part worn. Then we award the official uniform inspection patch (available at the Scout shop) to the one best uniformed kid that has the complete uniform including including belt, neckerchief, and socks.

a uniform inspection is done at almost every meeting. The Patrol Leaders inspect their patrol than the SPL goes around and the patrols yell out Perfect, if all partol members are in complete uniform (the belt is the most common item missing) If one member is not in complete uniform all the PL has to say is no, they usually try to say what is missing like one belt one hat, but do not have to.

Never is a scout name mentioned or pointed at. How about that is that PC? :)

dan,

In my opinion, uniform inspections at every Troop meeting is overkill. Plus, when a uniform inspection is done, why not point out the Scouts who are meeting or exceeding the standard or those severely below the standard? Who cares about being PC! That only leads to being wishy washy!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Ed Mori

How can one exceed the requirments, cleaner, neater, better looking?

I do not beleive that pointing out a scout to the entire troop would add any benifit, This is done as a patrol, keep it in the patrol not for entire troop. Is this not the patrol method?

You did not comment on the fact that the PL does the inspection, vs the leaders? What are your thoughts on this?

Also how many members the troop has would also play a part in this I would think.

In regard to uniform inspections, I would always accentuate the positive. There is seldom, if ever, anything constructive accomplished by pointing out someone's shortcomings in a public forum like a Troop meeting.

I agree that uniform inspections be done in the patrol setting. The PLC, with direction from the Scoutmaster and Troop committee, can set the standards by which the Patrol leaders are to dress and to lead the inspections. This can be a very positive, reinforcing event. I don't understand why any adult leader would want to make an example of a Scout in front of the Troop. If a Patrol leader started to do that, I would stop the process immediately and take it into the patrol.

Now, if there is a patrol that shows up to a meeting so well uniformed that they deserve recognition, I would do that. Again, it's keying on the positive.

dan,

If your Troop only requires the uniform shirt for Scouts who are not in a position of responsibility and there is one of these Scouts who wear the uniform shirt AND pants, this would be exceeding the standard.

Yes, the uniform inspections should be done at the Patrol level by the Patrol leader. He should be reporting his finding to the SPL who should be keeping the SM informed. If it's a small Troop, the SPL should be the inspector. I also feel that a Troop uniform inspection once in awhile is good. This helps insure uniformity in the Troop.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

Our troop performs a low-key inspection as part of every meeting. After the opening, the SPL will announce the inspection and he and his assistants will walk through the ranks and if anything is visually amiss, will let the individual scout know. In addition, while the SPL/ASPLs are inspecting the boys, the SM is performing the same inspection on the uniformed adults (lead by example). By performing an inspection every week, the boys are constantly reminded of the importance of proper uniforming. By keeping it low-key, an inspection of 40 scounts and a dozen leaders can be done in 3-4 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Two uniform issues just came up this last week. On Monday one of our scouts came to the meeting without wearing his uniform. While the other scouts were getting inspected he was in the hall doing his 80 pushups (I keep telling the boys that we will either be the sharpest or the strongest troop in town (please remember, this was THEIR solution)). We'll see how he looks next week. On the flip side the young man who used to be the worst offender came to the meeting in his full uniform for the fourth time in a row with no discrepencies (We recognized him for that effort). I guess he got tired of the push-ups. Unfortunately, he then showed up for Tuesday night's board of review in street clothes. We put him at the end of the list and told him if he could be in proper full uniform by the time it was his turn he could still meet the board but he was unable to get his uniform in time and now has to wait for the next board. That is, unless he can convince the Charter rep to do one out of cycle for him. I don't think there is much chance of that so he's going to have another tough lesson to learn. We'll keep encouraging him to do what he needs to do but I think kids (particularly young men) need to learn that if they want to accomplish things they have to put in the effort and that when they don't or won't do what needs to be done there are consiquences. It's not an easy pill to swallow but as the saying goes, It's easier to build boys, than to mend men. I know that some people will see this as cruel treatment but what kind of character gets built if you give privilege without requiring responsibility?

Weekender says:

"It's not an easy pill to swallow but as the saying goes, It's easier to build boys, than to mend men. I know that some people will see this as cruel treatment but what kind of character gets built if you give privilege without requiring responsibility? "

Requiring a boy to wear a uniform you know he owns is not cruel. This is very painless and very easy to do. Yes, they may have to plan ahead to have it washed. Maybe even to have it with them and change in the restroom before the meeting. Not wearing the uniform to a board of review is like saying "oops, I forgot to put on good clothes for my job interview."