Best and Worst Merit Badge Books

I am new to do some MB counseling on the side. I am intending to purchase some MB books since our Troop library is depleted. Flipping through some of the books I see some are pretty good, some pretty minimal, and some outdated. I was wondering what the older wiser SM's think of the MB book quality? Which are great and which are duds?

Without making a value judgment, I'd advise taking a look first at the MB's which boys do most often, especially the ones required for Eagle. Then, consider that there may be planned changes which would require re-purchase soon. You might want to wait for the new versions.

Other than those two things, you don't really have much choice because BSA sets the requirements and changes them when they want to... and only the current versions are going to be sold at the scout shops.

Going to "color" dramatically improved the functional quality of the mb books, particularly for diagrams and illustrations and then there are the photos. Content quality, i.e. whether it is a good subject read regardless of merit badge, tends to be a reflection of the merit badge requirements. I think the new Robotics mb pamphlet has good content quality whereas Environmental Science well, needs more work.

Of all who actually read a merit badge pamphlet, I would guess the ratio is 70% MBC's, 25% parents, 5% scouts. When counseling a MB, my first questions are 1. Do you have this mb book? 2. Have you read it? The usual response is no and no. I wonder how many scouts ever read (not bought) the Swimming mb pamphlet.

I'm rambling but I see hardcopy pamphlets going away soon, replaced by iPocketknife apps and/or youScout videos with the "library" off in some scout cloud. More economical and easier to update and distribute.

My $0.01

One thing to keep in mind is that you as a counselor do not really need to work directly from the MB Pamphlet. As long as you do not add, remove or change requirements, you can direct Scouts to other books, internet sites, videos, etc, if you think that those other resources would be more effective than the MB Book provided by the BSA.

The MB books I've read vary in quality, but keep in mind that they are written at about a 7th grade level (if that). And, as someone else pointed out, few of the boys actually read them, apparently because few MBCs expect them to have read them. I have worked with a fair number of scouts on badges where they've told me I was the only MBC they had ever had, who expected them to at least crack open the pamphlet. Most just get the list of requirements off the internet.

Since the cost of these books adds up, you want to get books that are likely to be utilized. One approach is to start w/ the Eagle-required ones. Another approach is to look at the most popular non-Eagle badges and flip through those books to see what you think. Maybe "space exploration" or "reptiles & amphibians" are more popular in your troop than "communications" and maybe the boys will actually use those MB books because they're more interested in the subject (or maybe not, but I know my son thoroughly enjoyed the reptiles one at age 11).

A third approach would be for you to find a few MBs that you think sound really cool & would appeal to several boys in the troop, but that few/no boys in your troop have earned. Maybe they don't know about them, or the badges are new ones? Buy a couple of those books, bring them to a meeting or a PLC, and make a big deal of them as an encouragement to give the badges a try.

Tampa

The way things are going technologically very soon ALL scout books, including MB books will be available on line and a troop library will become a relic of the past.

The other positive will be how quickly you will be access the latest changes in every publication. So before you make a huge investment in MB books assess which ones are being used the most and get one or two copies to hold you until the "changeover" happens.

Thank you for the feedback.

I an not so much worried about the investment issue but which were "keepers". I since have looked at a bunch at the scout store. I though Sailing, Archery, and Rowing were pretty good, lots of terms and facts. I thought Camping was pretty so-so and Reading not really worth it. Architecture/Landscape Architecture were pretty good though it slights Architecture. (I am trained as an Architect). Model Making was very good. Wilderness Survival seemed pretty dated. I agree the color helps --the books look a lot like the "DK" books the kids have. Very graphic.

I will make any boys I counsel read them. I am finding too many boys just using the Merit Badge worksheets and not knowing much about the material -- I think it the "Merit Badge Academy" attitude that seems to be creeping into the Troop as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilderness Survival MBP is a fright. It is filled with wildly incorrect information, information that conflicts with other BSA publications, and sharp internal contradictions.

Given that the overt topic is how to stay alive when life is threatened, the poor quality of this publication should be an embarrassment to BSA -- and to Scouting for tolerating BSA's publication of this mess.

The original MBP by Olsen was excellent, but dealt with what might be called "primitive living," as contrasted to "modern survival" - how to stay alive short term until rescued.

Details on request.

There's a swimming merit badge book?! The mind boggles... just kidding. :)

Anyway, merit badge books offer a how-to, tips & practices, and ideas for activities. If you're already an expert in a subject, then you may not ever need the merit badge book, although real experts know that there's always more to learn about their subject. ;)